Super Moderator

Default Reinhard Kleist Stings Like a Bee in "The Boxer"

Acclaimed German cartoonist Kleist ("Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness") tells the story of Holocaust survivor and boxer Hertzko "Harry" Haft.

Full article here.

This reads a lot like I Saw It, a story of the atomic bomb destroying Hiroshima: the horror, the absolute horror of the Nazi concentration camps is all but unbearable even to 'just a reader'--unimaginable to have lived through. Haft's survival, told without moralizing, told simply straightforwardly, is astonishing, and is told in almost-Eisner-like fashion. A hard, engrossing history, far better, in my opinion, than Maus.
    Age/Bronze, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, AstroCity, Bone, Cerebus, Courtney C, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Goon, Groo, Hawkeye, Hellboy, JonahHex, Kane, Lazarus, Lone Wolf, NextWave, Popeye, Powers, RatQueens, SiP, StrayBullets, 10G, Thief, Usagi

I was already Kleist's fan when I got his Havana and Cash graphic novels. Those were in the original Deutsch books. Don't speak fluent (only a little) I only understood some. In 2012 I went to Erlangen Comic Salon in Germany, as part of the Indonesian comic exhibition. I was the head curator back then. When I knew Kleist was also going to be there, I brought my Havana to ask him to autograph it for me.

And it was in Erlangen, The Boxer was released. I bought a copy, met Kleist and we chat while he was drawing for me on The Boxer. He was very nice, and he gave me some The Boxer promo poscards. I really loved it. But since my Deutsch is poor, I couldn;t understand The Boxer completely.

Now I have the English version and have finished reading it. Kleist is coming to Indonesia this Sept and Oct for some comic workshop sponsored by Goethe Institut. He's also scheduled for Ubud Writers' Festival in Bali. I'm planning to meet him again.