Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Loeb & Bell Unpack "Agents of SHIELD" Season Finale and Tease What's Next

With the first season of "Agents of SHIELD" wrapped, Jeph Loeb and Jeffrey Bell talk the finale in-depth, and what might be explored next fall.

Full article here.

Overall, I was satisfied with the season finale. I thought it capped things off nicely and adding Samuel L. Jackson into the mix only made it more awesome. I'm still a little confused about why Patton Oswald's character is back. Did he get a "trip to Tahiti" as well? And the whole affair with Ward feels incomplete. I don't see how he's ever going to earn the trust of the team again, especially Skye. But the best part for me was Agent Coulson becoming Director of SHIELD. That has such a nice ring to it and I hope it actually plays into what happens in Avengers 2.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Overall, I was satisfied with the season finale. I thought it capped things off nicely and adding Samuel L. Jackson into the mix only made it more awesome. I'm still a little confused about why Patton Oswald's character is back. Did he get a "trip to Tahiti" as well?
    Nope. Still dead.

But his brother (previously mentioned on the show) is still handing out lanyards.

You can't really compare Ward to the Winter Soldier. Bucky was brainwashed; Ward, while certainly groomed to be a dick, still made that choice voluntarily, and had plenty of chances to repent and didn't.

The whole last arc of the show was great, and the series ended on such a high note. The Fury scenes were awesome, and so much more than the cameo I was expecting (I was greedily hoping that Steve Rogers would have a short cameo at the end for a chat with Coulson, and maybe to meet the grandson of one of the Howling Commandos, but I figured that would be asking for too much). Hopefully, Loeb and co. realize that the more this show ties in with the Marvel Cinema U and utilize characters from the comics, the more the show will be loved by the fans. If next year they resort back to shows centered on just Skye's past and subplots about the team, viewers might lose interest again. Not sure how A2 and Ultron can tie in to the show, but possibly the Baron Zemo/Hydra story line can be worked in.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You can't really compare Ward to the Winter Soldier. Bucky was brainwashed; Ward, while certainly groomed to be a dick, still made that choice voluntarily, and had plenty of chances to repent and didn't.

The whole last arc of the show was great, and the series ended on such a high note. The Fury scenes were awesome, and so much more than the cameo I was expecting (I was greedily hoping that Steve Rogers would have a short cameo at the end for a chat with Coulson, and maybe to meet the grandson of one of the Howling Commandos, but I figured that would be asking for too much). Hopefully, Loeb and co. realize that the more this show ties in with the Marvel Cinema U and utilize characters from the comics, the more the show will be loved by the fans. If next year they resort back to shows centered on just Skye's past and subplots about the team, viewers might lose interest again. Not sure how A2 and Ultron can tie in to the show, but possibly the Baron Zemo/Hydra story line can be worked in.
    I'm fine with that, to an extent. Most fans want AOS to be this huge cameo fest, which it was not ever intended to be. The producers said from the very start, that the show would center on Coulson's team. Much of the disappointment from viewers during the first half of the season was due to expectations they were explicitly told not to have, because it wasn't what the show was going be.

That being said, if there are going to be more and more characters from the books, keep it to the B and C listers. I personally don't want Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow or anyone on their level to appear. For that to happen, the core characters have to be made much more significant or they'll just be overshadowed.These are characters that need to grow and become more than a vehicle to get members of the Avengers on television.

I personally think Sky is an Inhuman. Another theory is that she's the daughter of Fin Fang Foom.

I'm really interested in what the plan is for Fitz.

Quote Originally Posted by CTG View Post
    I'm fine with that, to an extent. Most fans want AOS to be this huge cameo fest, which it was not ever intended to be.
    And I would HATE (I mean HATE HATE HATE) a cameo fest. Not to mention that it would be bad storytelling. AND alienate people who weren't fans.

The producers said from the very start, that the show would center on Coulson's team. Much of the disappointment from viewers during the first half of the season was due to expectations they were explicitly told not to have, because it wasn't what the show was going be.

That being said, if there are going to be more and more characters from the books, keep it to the B and C listers.
    Yup. The whole pitch is how do humans survive in a world of superhumans.

Quite well, apparently....

Cameos are ok if it makes sense. Fury's appearance made sense. War Machine popping up makes more sense than Iron Man. (which I hope he does!)

My big question is whether or not they'll be allowed to plant seeds for future movies in the tv show rather than the other way around! And will Coulson appear in any movies or will he be relegated to tv? Either way, like I said - as long as it makes sense.

And in terms of the blue-tube guy and SKye's parentage, people have said Kree but what about Atlantean? They're blue. (or are they all part of the Fantastic Four franchise?)

Speaking of aliens though - was anyone else reminded of Korvac during Garrett's rantings? He seemed to gain a near-cosmic level awareness. What with Korvac' s ties to the Gurdians of the Galaxy and the Avengers, it just had me thinking....
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-14-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Cameos are ok if it makes sense. Fury's appearance made sense. War Machine popping up makes more sense than Iron Man. (which I hope he does!)

My big question is whether or not they'll be allowed to plant seeds for future movies in the tv show rather than the other way around! And will Coulson appear in any movies or will he be relegated to tv? Either way, like I said - as long as it makes sense.

And in terms of the blue-tube guy and SKye's parentage, people have said Kree but what about Atlantean? They're blue. (or are they all part of the Fantastic Four franchise?)

Speaking of aliens though - was anyone else reminded of Korvac during Garrett's rantings? He seemed to gain a near-cosmic level awareness. What with Korvac' s ties to the Gurdians of the Galaxy and the Avengers, it just had me thinking....
    Sorry...not gonna say anything except these are all good points.

I don't like that I hadn't seen Iron Man 3 or Winter Solider and they were mildly spoiled watching the TV show. I think they should be a little more mindful of that but I have the same issues with most modern super books, too.

I guess that's on me, though.

Garrett's death totally caught me off guard. I thought it was going to be this tease for Season 2, but NOPE.

With all of the prisoners freed from the Fridge, maybe they'll start bringing in some more recognizable Marvel U villains in Season 2.

I'm kind of disappointed that they flat out admitted their plans to redeem Ward instead of just playing with the idea or going for wait and see. And redeeming Ward isn't impossible just because he did the things he did of his own will. That happens all the time in comics! Iron Man was a huge dick during Civil War, Cap was dick during AvX and Scarlet Witch did some awful stuff yet they're all considered to be heroes right now by Avengers and none of them did those things while being mind controlled. And Namor is also considered a hero despite being a jerk and having had more than one or two runs as a supervillain. So redeeming Ward wouldn't be unprecedented or impossible.

And what comes to cameos I don't think that most people are demanding that this show become a cameo fest, just that they would have more characters from comics since this show just like the movies is based on Marvel COMICS. So a bunch of original characters that are rather one dimensional and bland stock characters is honestly a little disappointing. Arrow for example is a comic book show and features characters from comics. I know that it's based on a superhero while AoS isn't but it's still a comic book show at the end of the day so having characters from comics would be nice. Or at least make your original characters really good and interesting if you want to stick to them. And when I request cb characters I'm not saying that we should see Avengers every other episode but they could use some c- and d-list comic characters who are unlikely to make it into the movies.

But I think we've already seen that things in this show have to have an effect on movies in the long run since SHIELD had a Kree in their custody. Kree will most definitely appear in the movies at some point or be mentioned at the very least.

I haven't seen all the episodes but from what I've heard it seems that Skye being eventually revealed as Mantis could be a pretty good possibility.

Once again, I sense a disdain for the new, and a disdain for characters and concepts created for the show. You are almost forced to focus on your own characters. They're under your control. You can chart their destiny better.

And I really hope they keep the number of comic super powered characters low. Having them, multiply makes each appearance less special, less unique....you don't want to make powered characters a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not sure how A2 and Ultron can tie in to the show, but possibly the Baron Zemo/Hydra story line can be worked in.
    Well my wild theory is that Coulson creates Ultron. Those diagrams that both he and Garrett drew sure look like circuitry.

[QUOTE=Tomppa;75890

I haven't seen all the episodes but from what I've heard it seems that Skye being eventually revealed as Mantis could be a pretty good possibility.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was the red skull sitting in the chair at the end and Skye was / is Sin?