Sale Date: July 13th, 1976
    Writer: Chris Claremont
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Jack Abel
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Wein
    Plotter/Editor: Len Wein

“And Six Shall Crush the Hulk!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Morrie n’ Joe (fisherman)
    Villains: Diablo, Taboo, Goom, Groot, Blip, Xemnu
    Synopsis: Open to the Hulk busy thrashing the famed 3rd Armored Division. One famed shockwave later, the brute takes his leave and later tries to fish with two oblivious fisherman. He’s then promptly attacked by the smoke demon Diablo. After a brief struggle, the Hulk dissipates the smoke creature with a hand-clap. He wanders the river and then runs into the mud monster called Taboo. Again, the Hulk overcomes the creature after smashing the riverbed and then watches Taboo get sucked into the whirlpool. The brute takes his leave and makes his way thru the forest – only to get attacked by tree branches under the control of Groot. Since he’s made of wood, the Hulk easily tears apart the alien tree, but the toll of these battles are beginning to catch up to the brute. He’s becoming extremely tired to the point where he can’t leap great distances anymore – and leaps right into the attack of the flying Goom! This angers the Hulk into action, but Goom is able to shrink the Hulk with a quick zap from his eyes. Unfortunately, it doesn’t last long and the Hulk’s rage overcomes the shrinking beams and he heaves Goom into a mountain side and pummels him until the cliffs collapse upon both of them. An exhausted Hulk breaks free, just in time for a thunder storm to gather and the electric alien called the Blip to attack him. The Hulk mistakes the Blip for Zzzax, but this foe seems a heck of a lot easier to beat than Zzzax. One heave into some powerlines take out the Blip and the Hulk finally collapses in exhaustion. Strangely, the ground around him envelopes the Hulk and carries him across the country side. He awakens in the headquarters of Xemnu the Living Titan, who reveals that he was the mastermind behind all the monster attacks. After a battle underground and atop a flood control damn, which breaks after an explosion in Xemnu’s hidden lab, the Hulk emerges victorious and declares himself the strongest one there is.

Commentary: A very fun story that harkens back to the Silver Age with the use of chapters and the old Atlas-era monsters. While plotted by Wein, it was scripted by Chris Claremont, who in this time and place, was barely making a dent in the comics scene as the X-Men writer. His grasp on the Hulk’s speech pattern is very good, and I’d always wondered what a Claremont Hulk run would have been like.

*Bonus* Here's the Art Adams recreation as well.

I have not read that issue.

I recently read Hulk vs Venom, that one was better than I expected, my expectation was complete crap, instead I got something delightful and well written. I have to admit not being fond of the art.

The Incredible Hulk: The End is an interesting tale, and I love that it teamed Peter David with Dale Kewon once more for a fascinating tale starring the green goliath.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Please turn off your ad block, ads accompanying my videos are how I earn money

Incredible Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I have not read that issue.

I recently read Hulk vs Venom, that one was better than I expected, my expectation was complete crap, instead I got something delightful and well written. I have to admit not being fond of the art.

The Incredible Hulk: The End is an interesting tale, and I love that it teamed Peter David with Dale Kewon once more for a fascinating tale starring the green goliath.
    I'm still holding out for PAD and either Keown or Perez to do a one-shot adaption of the Hulk novel "What Savage Beast"....

Hukl/Thing by Deodato Jr.

Astonishing Member

What would be cool to see is Hulk vs The Sandman. But my personal favorite is The Abomination vs Spider-Man and knowing that he's Peter Parker....

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    What would be cool to see is Hulk vs The Sandman. But my personal favorite is The Abomination vs Spider-Man and knowing that he's Peter Parker....
    There were a few Hulk/Sandman stories by Lee/Thomas/Trimpe way back when. The only one that sticks out as being memorable was the one that resulted in Betty turning into glass.
    A modern battle would be cool to see...

Spectacular Member Sensational C's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Hukl/Thing by Deodato Jr.

I really like how the negative space in the top half makes the two brawler appear bigger than they would as there's nothing to compare the size of Hulk and Thing besides eachother.

Fantastic Member

So despite some brief minutes of hope, I have severe doubts that Marvel is going to bring back Hulk during Marvel Legacy. Yeah his head appears in the teaser but I don't know, I get the feeling that going back to Planet Hulk will just mean that Jen or Amadeus, or some heretofore unforeseen character will wind up on Sakaar, in which case...whatever.

If I'm really lucky it will be Skaar which I could at least enjoy as the fill in for his father, particular on Sakaar, but I get the feeling even that is a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    So despite some brief minutes of hope, I have severe doubts that Marvel is going to bring back Hulk during Marvel Legacy. Yeah his head appears in the teaser but I don't know, I get the feeling that going back to Planet Hulk will just mean that Jen or Amadeus, or some heretofore unforeseen character will wind up on Sakaar, in which case...whatever.

If I'm really lucky it will be Skaar which I could at least enjoy as the fill in for his father, particular on Sakaar, but I get the feeling even that is a longshot.
    I've said this before but resurrecting Hulk on Sakaar makes senses because Galactus has been bringing back to life the planets he destroyed when he was devourer.

Incredible Hulk #204

Cover Date: October 1976
    Sale Date: July 20th, 1976
    Scripter/Editor: Len Wein
    Plotter/Penciller: Herb Trimpe
    Inker: Joe Staton
    Letterer: John Costanza

“Vicious Circle!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: General Ross, Jarella, Betty & Glenn Talbot, Doc Samson, Rick Jones
    Villain: Doctor Kronus
    Synopsis: With the help of Dr. Kronus, Bruce Banner is taken back in time to the original gamma bomb test and successfully makes it to safety from the explosion – at the expense of Rick Jones’ life. Time is altered and Bruce and Betty marry, but his guilt over Rick’s death still haunts him. Kronus alters time and comes back as a time travelling villain, enabling the Hulk to return. It’s more than Banner can take, and he awakens from a nightmare to go back and subject himself to the gamma radiation.
    Commentary: Herb Trimpe makes a surprise return to the book as both plotter and penciller. This was definitely a filler, as bits and pieces of previous storylines are dropped in for continuity-sake, and Kronus is a one-hit-wonder villain that shows up randomly out of the blue as both a helper and antagonist because of the time travel. Not bad, but I prefer Herb plotting G.I. Joe stories in another decade from this time-frame. This story seems fitting for “What If?” instead of the regular book.

If Sakaar is back post Secret Wars or if Galactus restores it, I would love for Caiera to come back to life. She was always an interesting character and I would like to see how she would react to the many heroes and villains of Earth. I would also like to see her reunite with Skaar.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    If Sakaar is back post Secret Wars or if Galactus restores it, I would love for Caiera to come back to life. She was always an interesting character and I would like to see how she would react to the many heroes and villains of Earth. I would also like to see her reunite with Skaar.
    I'd be down for a Caiera vs. Jarella fight for a return-to-life battle to be the Hulk's "one true love"...

Incredible Hulk #205

Cover Date: November 1976
    Sale Date: August 17th, 1976
    Writer/Editor: Len Wein

“Do Not Forsake Me!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Jarella, Betty & Glenn Talbot, General Ross and Doc Samson
    Villain: Crypto-Man

Synopsis: Bruce Banner and Jarella, arms around each other and basking in the glow of love for one another, are casually walking thru downtown Sante Fe, New Mexico. They shop, they laugh, and they eat; Jarella having never experienced such things before. Enjoying life as couples should. In a seedier part of town, however, things begin taking a darker turn as a shadowy figure brings back to life the robot known as the Crypto-Man is brought back to life. At Gamma Base, Glenn Talbot is having a hard time adjusting to life and his marriage, as everything he promised to take Betty away from while in love with Bruce Banner has utterly failed. Back in Sante Fe, the Crypto-Man is on the loose and its first target is a nearby bank. It easily smashes thru the vault and clears out everything. Bruce and Jarella are caught off-guard as it crashes out the other side. Jarella calms Bruce down, telling him that the authorities need to handle the situation, not the Hulk. Crypto-Man spies the couple and assumes that Jarella is the product of gamma radiation because of her green skin. As it approaches, Banner panics and becomes the Hulk and the two engage in battle. The Hulk ducks an automobile hurled by Crypto-Man, only to have it crash against the building nearby and sending an entire section toppling towards an unsuspecting child. Seeing this, Jarella leaps and manages to push the boy out of the way – as the entire crumbling wall falls upon her. The Hulk sees this, and attempts to dig her out. The Crypto-Man blindsides the brute, enraging him further, and is subsequently destroyed in a series of blows culminating in a devastating blow. The feedback from the Crypto-Man’s destruction destroys the control panels in the warehouse across town, and the identity of the robot’s controller will never be known. The Hulk manages to dig Jarella out of the rubble in time for her to profess her happiness with the brute. One final goodbye, and Jarella, queen of K’ai, passes away. A tearful Hulk leaps into the air, his destination; Gamma Base. Doc Samson takes Jarella into surgery, leaving a hopeful Hulk in the waiting room. Sometime later, Samson appears and regretfully tells the Hulk that there was nothing they could do to help her. The Hulk rages, and proclaims “if science cannot help Jarella, then maybe magic can!” He leaps away, leaving a befuddled Samson, Ross and Betty to ponder its meaning…

Commentary: I wrote several drafts for this synopsis, and never felt any of them could do justice to this issue. So I decided to wing it – because the tone of the next few issues is pretty heavy. Sal nails the grief on the Hulk’s face. During my early collecting years, there was the odd reference to Jarella and I would read the letters pages to gleam any kind of info on the issues that I didn’t have. Memory is a little hazy, but I don’t think I had this issue when I’d read HULK #351 when the Gray Hulk returns to Jarella’s world. So when I finally got it, my first reaction to how Jarella dies was, “THAT’S IT???” I was thinking “Dark Phoenix” style death…or Gwen Stacy. Instead, it’s some lousy robot, dug up from an issue of Thor who robs a bank. No Leader, no Abomination…meh.

Original cover.

Published cover with altered face/shaggy hair.

Incredible Hulk #206

Cover Date: December 1976
    Sale Date: September 21st, 1976
    Writer/Editor: Len Wein

“A Man-Brute Berserk!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Doc Samson, General Ross, Clay Quartermain, Betty & Glenn Talbot, the Defenders.
    Antagonist: Police, Gamma Base air force

Synopsis: The Hulk leaps across the country from New Mexico to New York City in hopes of getting in touch with his fellow Defender, Doctor Strange, to help revive his beloved Jarella, who was killed while rescuing a child during the brute’s battle with the Crypto-Man. He tears apart Gamma Base air force jets, part of the Statue of Liberty, the security helicopters protecting it, and utterly thrashes a police task force that surrounded him outside of Dr. Strange’s sanctum…only to have the Defenders themselves attack him for it. Side stories during this rampage are Samson and General Ross trading barbs about his Hulk-hunting career, Betty and Glenn Talbot realizing that their marriage is falling apart, and Samson declaring to Quartermain that he is going to help the Hulk live his life as he sees fit, and he’s going to do whatever he has to do to help him. Oh…and the drunken homeless man offers the Hulk a swig of his booze, and nearly gets killed for it.

Commentary: Whereas issue #199 was all out action in the slugfest sense, this issue was action in the dramatic sense. The Hulk is looking for magical help and under the gun because he believes Jarella can be saved. That first page opener by Sal...wow. I'd like to see that as a Fat-Head...
    Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 05-04-2017 at 08:08 AM.

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой