Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - May 14, 2014

With Gambit's future X-film situation becoming a bigger topic of discussion by the day, Brett wonders why he has a soft spot for the Ragin' Cajun.

Full article here.

The 90s X-Men cartoon, eh? Been a while since that was mentioned in a CBR column.

He's a thief. A scoundrel. A manipulative liar with a heart of gold. A bad boy who wants to be good (or wants a girl to make him good). He has a cool visual power. A cool setting apart from the X-Men with (what should have been) a very interesting backstory and supporting characters. A Romeo & Juliet romantic conflict (both with Rogue and Belladonna).

Seriously, why WOULDN'T this character work in a movie with Channing Tatum? I always thought it would make a better TV series, a slightly younger Gambit in his Thieves Guild New Orleans days, but the character could still play very well in a two hour movie structure.

Quote Originally Posted by FabianNicieza View Post
    He's a thief. A scoundrel. A manipulative liar with a heart of gold. A bad boy who wants to be good (or wants a girl to make him good). He has a cool visual power. A cool setting apart from the X-Men with (what should have been) a very interesting backstory and supporting characters. A Romeo & Juliet romantic conflict (both with Rogue and Belladonna).

Seriously, why WOULDN'T this character work in a movie with Channing Tatum? I always thought it would make a better TV series, a slightly younger Gambit in his Thieves Guild New Orleans days, but the character could still play very well in a two hour movie structure.
    I was also introduced to the world of the x-men through the animated series and Gambit became my favourite superhero.Gambit has some very interesting stories which can be adapted to the big screen. He has a dark past which can be exploited in x-men apocalypse and should be introduced as a villain in the beginning giving a new dimension to the character

Why do I get the feeling that Marvel is going to mess up on the comic end of this, and instead of promoting All-New X-Factor (a cult hit featuring both Gambit and Quicksilver, the other hot mutant of the moment), they're going to throw him (Gambit) on a lame flagship title and do nothing with him yet again, and lose a ton of potential new readers.

Out w/the old in w/the.. NewMutant's Avatar

When is Gambit Classic vol 3 coming out with the start of your run from his first on-going series??? I want.

Go Cajun GO! I always had a soft spot for Gambit. Glad he's getting a solo movie

Gambit is just fun fangirl service. A rarity so a treasure.

I also love Gambit, largely rooted in nostalgia and based initially on the animated series.

Rogue/Gambit was one of the first things I would say I ever "shipped" without of course knowing what that word meant (did it exist in 1992? Probably not).

That said, I think the earliest moment for me in comics that solidified him as a favorite for me and had nothing to do with Rogue, or crazy costumes, or terrible accents, was that moment in Extinction Agenda (UXM 271 or 272?) when he takes a bolt/spike in the leg, leaves it there on purpose and then, while his hands are handcuffed above him to a wall (along with the rest of the X-Men) he proceeds to tear it from his leg with his teeth and then drop it back to his feet, raise up and pick his locks with the spike in his feet. Impossible? Of course. Absolutely badass? Of course.

And such a great example of showing instead of telling in comics, of why I should love him. And I did. I SO did!

I was a fan of Gambit before the animated series (having been reading the comics for 3 years by then) and was super excited he was in the animated series.

For me, Gambit was the guy I wanted to be. Mysterious, seemingly aloof, charming with an edge of danger. This was a guy who would never let anyone define him and you never really knew where he stood. Its unfortunate to me that no one seems to have really known what to do with the character. I think James Asmus got him close to right and it's too bad that series didn't last longer. I am still holding out hope that Peter David can get him back to his previous heights.

Quote Originally Posted by KittenLord View Post
    I am still holding out hope that Peter David can get him back to his previous heights.
    If anyone can, it's Peter David.

Good article, Brett. Like many others, my first introduction to Gambit came from the 90s cartoon. While he wasn't my favorite character, Gambit did have a special kind of charisma. The way he talked and the way he carried himself was a style all his own and I think that's why so many fans either love him or hate him. He stands out both in terms of appearance and personality. He's not overly gruff or mean like Wolverine or Cable. He's not overly uptight either like Cyclops or Angel. And he's not overly immature like Iceman or Jubilee. He's in a category all his own. Now in recent years, his character has become somewhat inconsistent in the comics. There are times I feel like he's been poorly depicted. But by and large, he still has the same appeal and I think that's why Donner is pushing a movie. And if Channing Tatum plays him, I imagine the casting call for Rogue will get very crowded.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Brett, you don't need to explain. I love Gambit, and in the spirit of the character I'mma never say why.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    I also love Gambit, largely rooted in nostalgia and based initially on the animated series.

Rogue/Gambit was one of the first things I would say I ever "shipped" without of course knowing what that word meant (did it exist in 1992? Probably not).

That said, I think the earliest moment for me in comics that solidified him as a favorite for me and had nothing to do with Rogue, or crazy costumes, or terrible accents, was that moment in Extinction Agenda (UXM 271 or 272?) when he takes a bolt/spike in the leg, leaves it there on purpose and then, while his hands are handcuffed above him to a wall (along with the rest of the X-Men) he proceeds to tear it from his leg with his teeth and then drop it back to his feet, raise up and pick his locks with the spike in his feet. Impossible? Of course. Absolutely badass? Of course.

And such a great example of showing instead of telling in comics, of why I should love him. And I did. I SO did!
    A+ endorsements.
    Last edited by Foon4000; 05-15-2014 at 04:48 AM.

I like Gambit simply because of the 24 issues by Nicieza. One of the best comics i've ever read.
    Top characters: Magneto, Cyclops, Kitty Pryde, Warpath, Rogue, Gambit, Thanos.

Cyclops was right
    Magneto was right

I've often wondered why I never liked Gambit and it never occurred to me why until Brett nailed it. It also explains why I have no love for Jubilee. My introduction to the X-Men was the team of Cyclops, Phoenix, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine and I hated how recent entries of Jubilee and Gambit were placed on the team ahead of Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Kitty Pryde when the cartoon began.