Page 194 of 202 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 3020
    Mighty Member

I've been thinking about how I'd revamp Cyborg, and this is what I came up with

Step 1: Have Cyborg grow passed his angst, so that he can be a more fun character a la the Cartoon version. If Cyborg is gonna be an A-lister, he needs to be someone the reader would want to be. He also gains a more streamlined look

Step 2: Lean into his New Gods connection more. Cyborg needs a supporting cast, and they provide one

Step 3: Have it turn out to be that he is a nascent New God, the New God of the Future. His love interest, Sarah Simms, would also be revealed to be a nascent New God, the New God of the Past. She'd have access to a Warrior form similar to Sarasim from the cartoon

Step 4: Cyborg needs an archenemy. I'd make his Arch-Enemy a heavily altered version of Funky Flashman. He's be a film exec who sells his soul to Darkseid for youth and power, becoming the New God of Nostalgia. His mission is to steal people's souls through soulless, stagnant stories, and his powers would be emotional manipulation and Apokaliptian special effects.

----

As for Bendis, I say he should stay away from Cyborg. I feel like Cyborg should embrace the New Gods connection, and The New Gods are utterly opposite from the street level where Bendis shines

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What do they both have in common??? The same EDITOR who ruined Static and has Batwing & Katanna under his belt as well.

Under his watch Cyborg has been beaten by Moon Girl not only in sales physical but digital. Cyborg has shown NO sale increase during his runs.

While Walker & Semper get called out-sometimes you have to look at the EDITOR. Harvey Richards.

No minority lead book under his watch sold.

We saw what Bendis did with Miles, Riri, Jessica Jones & Luke Cage. The FIRST character he gets should be Cyborg. It's not even a debate. Priest is not interested in Cyborg. Let Bendis have Cyborg until whoever Dc really wants Bendis to have is free (and we all know that is Batman and his black son Duke.)

thanks for the knowledge I rarely pay attention to editors and I really should. I'll be keeping an eye on this from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    With Semper's run officially over, they haven't made any noise about Kevin Grevioux being the next writer.
    I forgot about Greivoux. Has he done any press for the run?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post

Step 1: Have Cyborg grow passed his angst, so that he can be a more fun character a la the Cartoon version. If Cyborg is gonna be an A-lister, he needs to be someone the reader would want to be. He also gains a more streamlined look

Step 2: Lean into his New Gods connection more. Cyborg needs a supporting cast, and they provide one

Step 3: Have it turn out to be that he is a nascent New God, the New God of the Future. His love interest, Sarah Simms, would also be revealed to be a nascent New God, the New God of the Past. She'd have access to a Warrior form similar to Sarasim from the cartoon

Step 4: Cyborg needs an archenemy. I'd make his Arch-Enemy a heavily altered version of Funky Flashman. He's be a film exec who sells his soul to Darkseid for youth and power, becoming the New God of Nostalgia. His mission is to steal people's souls through soulless, stagnant stories, and his powers would be emotional manipulation and Apokaliptian special effects.

----

As for Bendis, I say he should stay away from Cyborg. I feel like Cyborg should embrace the New Gods connection, and The New Gods are utterly opposite from the street level where Bendis shines
    I think people try to categorize Bendis as street but he's really got five really effective tactics that his readership has been eating up for years.

1. His dialogue or Bendis speak you either love it or you don't. He tends to play it up for comedy. I can live with it 'largely,' outside of how he writes a few genius level characters.

2. Big status quo changes (wtf moments)

3. Over the top action and splash pages

4. High usage rate of the most popular characters to beef up the story. When he dropped Spider-Man and Wolverine in New Avengers that book sold like flapjacks.

5. Continuity alterations to service the current story or new readers. Sometimes this isn't as bad as people make it out to be, other comic writers have been doing this for years and years, but there are a few examples where I think Bendis has set himself apart from others.

Other than that I think you make good points with Cyborg. My problem is that we've been calling for similar things since 2011. And every time I think Cyborg's solo series is going places I feel like they take him back to square one.

If DC wants me to drink the "kool-aide" again I'm gonna need a company wide push from multiple editors and writers.
    The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

I’ve noticed that Cyborg has reached an interesting strata in the superhero cosplay realm. People of all ethnicities cosplay as Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. The characters’ popularity and importance transcends race. I’m starting to see a number of images of kids and adults of all ethnicities cosplaying as Vic. I’ve never seen that happen before with any other black (or any minority) superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post

----

I would love to see these ideas implemented in a Cyborg monthly. But above all else he needs an improved character design. Please DC bring back the Ivan Reis look!

Bendis definitely did his best work with street level characters but his Avengers run was pretty good and that felt with sci fi “superhero-y” stuff. Plus I think a big name creative team is needed for Cyborg’s book to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’ve noticed that Cyborg has reached an interesting strata in the superhero cosplay realm. People of all ethnicities cosplay as Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. The characters’ popularity and importance transcends race. I’m starting to see a number of images of kids and adults of all ethnicities cosplaying as Vic. I’ve never seen that happen before with any other black (or any minority) superhero.

I would love to see these ideas implemented in a Cyborg monthly. But above all else he needs an improved character design. Please DC bring back the Ivan Reis look!

Bendis definitely did his best work with street level characters but his Avengers run was pretty good and that felt with sci fi “superhero-y” stuff. Plus I think a big name creative team is needed for Cyborg’s book to survive.
    And if Bendis did grab ahold of Vic, you could be certain that Vic would remain in the spotlight. He'd get a quality push and be a relevant player in the events. His dialogue would be so much better than he's EVER gotten. BMB does tech talk.
    DC: Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands
    Catalyst Prime: NOBLE

Mighty Member

Bendis habit of bringing in other Superheroes to be the supporting cast would be detrimental for Cyborg's growth, i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    And if Bendis did grab ahold of Vic, you could be certain that Vic would remain in the spotlight. He'd get a quality push and be a relevant player in the events. His dialogue would be so much better than he's EVER gotten. BMB does tech talk.
    As nervous and I'd be about Bendis coming in and screwing around with all the things that make Vic work, he just might be what the character needs to break into the A-list.

A necessary evil as it were.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

All-New Member

It depends on who the other heroes are. I wouldn't mind if Bendis(or whoever takes over)brought back some of Cyborg's supporting cast from his days with the Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It depends on who the other heroes are. I wouldn't mind if Bendis(or whoever takes over)brought back some of Cyborg's supporting cast from his days with the Teen Titans.
    I would definitely be up for Gar Logan becoming a part of the supporting cast, at least.

Vic's history with the Titans is one of those big glaring missing pieces, and I think putting that back in place is pretty important for Vic going forward.

He can still be a League founder as well; just say that after forming the League the sidekicks decide to get together and the Titans are born, and Vic hangs with them when he's not on League business. It could be both a personal choice for him (he's closer to their ages than his co-workers in the League) as well as a pragmatic one (the League wants someone to keep an eye on the kids).

Lots of characters are on more than one team at a time, so there's no real reason Vic couldn't have been a Titan as well as a Leaguer.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I would definitely be up for Gar Logan becoming a part of the supporting cast, at least.

Vic's history with the Titans is one of those big glaring missing pieces, and I think putting that back in place is pretty important for Vic going forward.

He can still be a League founder as well; just say that after forming the League the sidekicks decide to get together and the Titans are born, and Vic hangs with them when he's not on League business. It could be both a personal choice for him (he's closer to their ages than his co-workers in the League) as well as a pragmatic one (the League wants someone to keep an eye on the kids).

Lots of characters are on more than one team at a time, so there's no real reason Vic couldn't have been a Titan as well as a Leaguer.
    DC should have had an arc where Vic went from TT to JL or had him on both teams as you suggested. Gar being part of Vic's supporting cast would be ideal, currently the writers want readers to believe that he is wrong about everything.

the one positive i see is that Cyborg and Wonder Woman actually have a relationship and dialogue, which is literally what I asked DC to do before the new 52 started.

Outside of Justice League: Doom (rip Dwayne McDuffie) and that old Galactic Guardians cartoon. The only substantial interaction I recall was in that one issue of Wonder Woman where Cyborg was Wonder Woman's gps

The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

I love what I see so far in the cinematic Cyborg. If only DC comic books would apply these things.

Show him interacting more with the others without simply relaying information. Show him consistently flying. Show different weapons and abilities.

I'm hoping JL #33 is the start of something better with Vic. A new look is most desirable.
    DC: Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands
    Catalyst Prime: NOBLE

BANNED

I honestly wouldn't mind continuing some of the friendships he made during the New 52 as well like with Shazam, or The Metal Men. I also did kinda like this interaction between Vic & Simon in JL.....it just needs a better writer for me to get fully down with it.

Spectacular Member

I dont they'll ever bother with Cyborg and the New Gods. If they wanted to go with it they'd have done it by now. Literally every member of the League has more solid connections with the Fourth World except Cyborg.
    Truth is that New Gods are revered by Kirby purists and they're not gonna let Cyborg play in that world when they can push their own protagonists like Scott,Barda,Orion,Forever People etc. It'd be another thing if Cyborg was mega popular and high selling then maybe such association could have created a mutually beneficial relationship.

I hope they focus on reclaiming his Titans history and creating a compelling world that is his own.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Static, Miles & Black Panther say hi.

I have seen a white Static before.

Bendis habit of bringing in other Superheroes to be the supporting cast would be detrimental for Cyborg's growth, i feel.
    And Johns wasn't? At this point there is very little to stunt growth.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Static, Miles & Black Panther say hi.

I have seen a white Static before.

And Johns wasn't? At this point there is very little to stunt growth.
    They can both be bad for Victor. It isn't a zer sum game. Bendis is not without his issues and neither is Johns. Johns wrote s good Black Panther and Mr Terrific and a bad John Stewart and Cyborg. Bendis did great work with Luke Cage in Daredevil but flubbed racial dynamics in his depiction of Luke in Alias and by killing Rodes off in Civil War 2.