Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default We Are Comics Banishes Stereotypes, Showcases Community

The people behind We Are Comics explain the genesis of and hopes for the grass root campaign's goal of broadening the perception of what a comic book fan is.

Full article here.

A comic book fan is someone who likes comic books. I never gave a crap what the "perception" was.
    'Dox out.

"All my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away." - Neil Young, On The Beach

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by King Of All Nerds View Post
    This.
    Every week there seems to be a new comic related cause being championed on the net that nobody in real life gives a fig about.
    Lots of people in real life DO care. Who do you think writes about this stuff? Reads and responds to it? People in real life.
    It's really easy not to care when you're being catered to, and it's easy to think other people don't care when you don't want them to. But, plenty of people do care.

For me it's less "nobody cares" than "I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I choose to read".
    'Dox out.

"All my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away." - Neil Young, On The Beach

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    For me it's less "nobody cares" than "I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I choose to read".
    I'm down with that, but it's not quite what the article or project is about, either.

It's about showing solidarity for people that are getting blocked out of fandom, and in many case, blocked out of shops and events as well.

My girlfriend can't go to the lcs in her city, without the owner offering sex-discounts or the regulars yelling trivia questions at her to make her prove her fandom. My mom tried to go to her local shop, they treated her as if she must be a complete idiot and ignorant of all things. When I took my niece to get her her own trades of Morrison's bat-stuff, the guy at the counter literally refused to take her money and sell her RIP because he decided she wouldn't understand it. I've got friends who'll never risk another con, or some who go, but get somebody else to hit the floor for them, because of past problems.

When I was 10/11 and Claremont & Lee's X-Men #1 came out, I went with my cousins and brother to a shop in Santa Fe, and the guy at the counter thought we were latino so he kept on about how bad we stank, how much chicle did we have to sell to get the money to buy the comics, don't steal anything, blah blah. We were freaked out, and going to leave empty-handed, except this black guy came over and told us we don't have to put up with that, making the guy let us buy or stuff in peace, then telling the clerk he and us kids wouldn't be coming back, but using the shop three blocks away, which I did, steadily, both times I lived there. The other shop was friendly, inclusive, and it made a difference.

Even if you kinda look like Comic Book Guy, it's important to let people know we don't all sound and act like ignorant petty jerks. That's regardless of what comics you read, which comics you don't read.
    Anonymous un-vetted tumblr & reddit posters are the most significant voices in social politics today. If you're paranoid and forget there's a world out there.

I'm always for people being open and expressing who they are in a positive light. Seems like their starting up a whole online picture book, anthology collage (can't think of the right term) thing.

Anyway these grass roots community building movements to illicit change are always inspiring. I don't know how successful it will ultimately be if your trying to change mainstream comics just looking at how the industry is comprised. Still if a large community got together and started writing their own comics I think that could do well. On a smaller scale you see what Milestone and Image use to be and free webtoons are huge right now if you look at naver.com or taptastic. Curious to see what this movement ultimately morphs into or anything
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm down with that, but it's not quite what the article or project is about, either.

It's about showing solidarity for people that are getting blocked out of fandom, and in many case, blocked out of shops and events as well.

My girlfriend can't go to the lcs in her city, without the owner offering sex-discounts or the regulars yelling trivia questions at her to make her prove her fandom. My mom tried to go to her local shop, they treated her as if she must be a complete idiot and ignorant of all things. When I took my niece to get her her own trades of Morrison's bat-stuff, the guy at the counter literally refused to take her money and sell her RIP because he decided she wouldn't understand it. I've got friends who'll never risk another con, or some who go, but get somebody else to hit the floor for them, because of past problems.

When I was 10/11 and Claremont & Lee's X-Men #1 came out, I went with my cousins and brother to a shop in Santa Fe, and the guy at the counter thought we were latino so he kept on about how bad we stank, how much chicle did we have to sell to get the money to buy the comics, don't steal anything, blah blah. We were freaked out, and going to leave empty-handed, except this black guy came over and told us we don't have to put up with that, making the guy let us buy or stuff in peace, then telling the clerk he and us kids wouldn't be coming back, but using the shop three blocks away, which I did, steadily, both times I lived there. The other shop was friendly, inclusive, and it made a difference.

Even if you kinda look like Comic Book Guy, it's important to let people know we don't all sound and act like ignorant petty jerks. That's regardless of what comics you read, which comics you don't read.
    all of this right here

and to the above posters about "not caring"...its exactly that kind of attitude and other exclusionary thinking that keeps prospective fans away

as fans, we can be really shitty about welcoming people in because maybe at some point we were excluded and its time to end the f'ng cycle

like Urdont Wrex says: Ill drag this clan to glory, whether you like it or not

Odd choice of quote, but I dig the sentiment.

Comics is an open community as far as I'm concerned. Want to come in and talk about how awesome comics are? Fine by me. You know Jack Kirby, right? Oh, you have got to read Kamandi...
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

BANNED

right...but that feeling seems to be vastly in the minority

Im trying to talk my lady into going into a convention later this year but she's heard/read some horror stories and is really not open to the idea based on those things

Here in Brazil I'm not aware of aggressive behaviour among comic book fandom regarding women and people of color. I think that sexism largely manifests in a different way in the Latin American fandoms. No rape threats, rude clerks, or guys telling women they're not welcome or quizzing them so they prove they're "real" fans. But there is a lot of condescending behaviour. There is always some guy trying to be too helpful and "explaining" to a female costumer everything about every comic book in the store. Male fans are supposed to know their stuff, female fans are assumed to be newbies that need help even with the most basic stuff.
    Last edited by Rene Narciso; 05-16-2014 at 09:23 AM.

If movements like this make comics better for all in general, then I am for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    its exactly that kind of attitude and other exclusionary thinking that keeps prospective fans away

as fans, we can be really shitty about welcoming people in because maybe at some point we were excluded and its time to end the f'ng cycle
    Exactly. And I think the problem is both active (the rape threats) AND passive (I don't care, and neither should/does anyone else, except a few whiners), and both are keeping people out. Which I think IS the point of it, to be exclusionary. And should not be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Want to come in and talk about how awesome comics are? Fine by me. You know Jack Kirby, right? Oh, you have got to read Kamandi...
    The problem is that even some people with this attitude want to control how others discuss things. As long as its kept to areas in which they feel safe/comfortable (who could beat who, who is the best artist/writer, which book to recommend to who) then it's all fine. But, when we stray into social issues (how do comics portray minorities, how are fans treating new/different fans in general, where could things go, from where will new voices come) that's when even some of the formerly open fans start getting upset.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mbast1 View Post
    Exactly. And I think the problem is both active (the rape threats) AND passive (I don't care, and neither should/does anyone else, except a few whiners), and both are keeping people out. Which I think IS the point of it, to be exclusionary. And should not be tolerated.
    indeed

this poster gets it

*high five*

Quote Originally Posted by Mbast1 View Post
    BOOM. Seconded. By the way, Rachel has an awesome podcast called Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men.