Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Van Meter Takes "The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage" on an Orpheus-like Quest

Jen Van Meter brings a new take on the classic Valiant character in "The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage," expanding the afterlife realm of the Valiant U.

Full article here.

BANNED

Is she supposed to look like Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion?
    The similarities are REALLY close.

If it was mentioned before I missed it but this interview is the first I'm taking notice that this is a 5 ISSUE mini-series.
    When it was announced a few months back I don't recall this as part of the announcement.
    I thought it was great the VU was getting it's first female solo book but seems they are testing the waters first with a mini series.
    Still looking forward to it but knowing this does help in my suspicion that Bloodshot's solo book will be back at #24 first of '15 cause it coincides with him in UNITY while her mini plays out. Fits into their rotating hiatus/10 title limit thing they are doing at present.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

If this is only a mini-series, I may just wait for the trade.

I will continue to support Valiant in "floppies" but I'm glad this is just a miniseries. Shadowman didn't really work and I'm glad they're not committing to another full series in the "deadside". If this works, then hopefully there will be more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Is she supposed to look like Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion?
    The similarities are REALLY close.
    I think it may be the hair color and style. And she is also female but older.

But I thought the female pilot in Pacific Rim movie was really being modeled to Ayanami!

I really look forward to this. The colored pages looked very nice.

It makes sense only to commit to a mini-series. If it is a success, they can start an ongoing series later... or use her to boost the sales on Shadowman. By now some of the series have lasted longer than Acclaim's versions, and A&A is only a few issues from lasting longer than the first series. The series on hiatus/mini-series Captain Craig mentioned appears to be a sound approach for Valiant's survival.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large

Val-Zod(Son of Zod,duh!) ApolloCreed!(The One and Only)'s Avatar

I'm really looking forward to this, hopefully, initial orders will warrant more than five issues, will see...
    (aka)agent_graves (aka)4my6kidz

it's only a mini?

is Valiant moving away from ongoings?

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    it's only a mini?

is Valiant moving away from ongoings?
    No. They have stated they are just settling in at 10 titles for the short term. This means we'll see some titles go into hiatus while minis like DDDM or event minis then a return to ongoing status. Shadowman is the first one to do so as his ongoing is slated to resume post mini. So it's a short leap to take VEI at their word and we'll see Eternal Warrior's ongoing resume as well. Even a return to Bloodshot as an ongoing at issue #24.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    No. They have stated they are just settling in at 10 titles for the short term. This means we'll see some titles go into hiatus while minis like DDDM or event minis then a return to ongoing status. Shadowman is the first one to do so as his ongoing is slated to resume post mini. So it's a short leap to take VEI at their word and we'll see Eternal Warrior's ongoing resume as well. Even a return to Bloodshot as an ongoing at issue #24.
    It may have something to do with them avoiding having too many titles out in an already crowded market. Smart move on their part. Some titles have dropped in sales,but don't warrant cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    I really look forward to this. The colored pages looked very nice.

It makes sense only to commit to a mini-series. If it is a success, they can start an ongoing series later... or use her to boost the sales on Shadowman. By now some of the series have lasted longer than Acclaim's versions, and A&A is only a few issues from lasting longer than the first series. The series on hiatus/mini-series Captain Craig mentioned appears to be a sound approach for Valiant's survival.
    I have recently come across some Valiant and Acclaim/Valiant era issues and prefer Valiant over Acclaim in most cases. Acclaim Shadowman#8 was excessively violent and suffered from crappy hard to follow art. Turok as a college student "Spring Break" was lame as hell. The stuff they are putting out now is a Quantum Leap in quality overall. It doesn't surprise me the new runs are doing better.