Page 1083 of 1180 FirstFirst ... 835839831033107310791080108110821083108410851086108710931133 ... LastLast
Results 16,231 to 16,245 of 17692

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    With all the talk of humor, and how inspirational the movie is, I hope it doesn't get lost that this movie is set to have a bittersweet to tragic ending.
    Apparently, it doesn't have a tragic ending. Or if it does, they managed to do it in a way that all these reviewers liked.

DCEU critics have complained about the downer endings of MOS and BvS for a long time. If WW ended on a similarly depressing note, one has to assume they would mention it. So far none of them have. So the movie either doesn't end in tragedy or it does, but in a way that just about everyone seems to be okay with.

In a recent magazine interview, Gal Gadot mentioned that during the filming of the movie, they all kind of realized that Diana would never really lose faith in humanity, so it seems like they may have found a way around the whole tragic ending thing.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Same. And it seems Wonder Woman has definitely found that balance. It is supposed to have a lot of optimism and levity, but one critic also tweeted that no other superhero movie has effectively handled the themes of war and devastation as this film.
    Sounds great. I saw the trailer trying to be funny at times and that scares me a little. I don't mind if the director actually wants the movie to be funny but if there's an executive mandate or something then that would show and really bother me. Like, even though GotG 2 is close to being my favorite Marvel movie the humor in it came across as really try hard but it didn't bother me because I never got the feeling that Gunn didn't want it that way. In the Thor movies though.... Ugh... Just put one in my head and end it.

I do worry that these executives take the wrong lessons from why a movie works. Like Gunn said regarding Deadpool's success, it wasn't simply because the movie was R-rated. But we could already see fans and studios taking the wrong notes about why Deadpool worked. Just like I think WB took the wrong lessons from The Dark Knight when they started formulating Man of Steel. So as long as the humor comes organically in Wonder Woman because Patty wants it to be there I'm sure it'll turn out fine, but the few trailers that I've seen worry me. Hopefully that's just the way the trailers are.
    "Read anything I write for the pleasure of reading it. Whatever else you find will be the measure of what you brought..." - Ernest Hemingway

Most of the humor apparently comes from Diana being a fish out of water in Man's World and being confuzzled by patriarchal rules and regulations. That actually sounds perfect: it helps the humor come naturally to the movie and at the same time helps underline the feminist themes of the character without resorting to "man hating" or having Diana lecture men about what pigs they are. Gal Gadot recently explained in an interview that they deliberately wanted to avoid that.

The movie sounds amazing. It is hard not to get excited.

Has there been any talk about them utilizing the setting well? From the footage so far, it just seems like the German's are the main bad guys which kind of defeats the purpose of even using WW1 when everyone was just relentlessly and pointlessly killing one another in trenches on all sides. Throwing a superhero into that kind of scenario is a fantastic idea but I don't get the impression from anything I've seen so far that they'll use it well.

this is so exciting. someone compared gal to christopher reeve in superman? be still my heart

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Has there been any talk about them utilizing the setting well? From the footage so far, it just seems like the German's are the main bad guys which kind of defeats the purpose of even using WW1 when everyone was just relentlessly and pointlessly killing one another in trenches on all sides. Throwing a superhero into that kind of scenario is a fantastic idea but I don't get the impression from anything I've seen so far that they'll use it well.
    Someone tweeted that among superhero films, this handled the themes and consequences of war the best. So I think it is actually more nuanced than something like Captain America: The First Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    this is so exciting. someone compared gal to christopher reeve in superman? be still my heart
    That was Patty Jenkins's goal all along. I'm so ecstatic that it seems to have worked!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Snyder's reputation probably hurt BvS most of all reception wise, he set himself up as the guy who puts cool stuff and "darkness" above all else so when he actually good a really good script to work with and for the most part stayed true to it, a lot of said scripts elements that purposefully paint a bleaker DC universe just got summed up as "Snyder hates Superman and hope and goodness and...".

If he'd done one or two smaller movies before BvS to show off his capacity for telling stories over spectacle, his reputation wouldn't have colored a lot of peoples viewing experience with BvS.
    No matter what the critical reception of Justice League is... I think Snyder's name will still hurt its reception. It is almost as if he slept with everyone's wife... that is how personal some people make it.

Spectacular Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    No matter what the critical reception of Justice League is... I think Snyder's name will still hurt its reception. It is almost as if he slept with everyone's wife... that is how personal some people make it.
    I have my own theory as to why he's so hated within the industry and by critics. I won't get into it because it involves politics, but I've always liked Snyder's work. It's amazing how reviled he is.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

https://open.spotify.com/album/2cf3VDa44SySx8hmQV8TWO

Nice rendition of "Is She With You?" by Tina Guo, who I believed help create the original theme for BvS.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 05-19-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Most of the humor apparently comes from Diana being a fish out of water in Man's World and being confuzzled by patriarchal rules and regulations. That actually sounds perfect: it helps the humor come naturally to the movie and at the same time helps underline the feminist themes of the character without resorting to "man hating" or having Diana lecture men about what pigs they are. Gal Gadot recently explained in an interview that they deliberately wanted to avoid that.

The movie sounds amazing. It is hard not to get excited.
    Heh.

I don't want to get my hopes too high cause the other movies had good early receptions but I don't think it was ever this numerous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I have my own theory as to why he's so hated within the industry and by critics. I won't get into it because it involves politics, but I've always liked Snyder's work. It's amazing how reviled he is.
    I kinda wanna hear this theory

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    I kinda wanna hear this theory
    *Looks at username*

*Snickers*
    "Read anything I write for the pleasure of reading it. Whatever else you find will be the measure of what you brought..." - Ernest Hemingway

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I know where you're going there and I agree that it has hurt Snyder.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Maybe it was prophetic that Wonder Woman was one of the more universally praised aspects of BvS ?