Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Mighty Member

THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM #6
    Written by CARY BATES and GREG WEISMAN • Art by WILL CONRAD • Cover by ANA DITTMANN

“Mission Creep” part six! After past and present events collide in a crisis for Captain Atom and General Eiling, longtime adversaries are forced to team up. But even though they seem to be on the same side for once, their motives could not be further apart.
    On sale JUNE 7 • 32 pg, FC, 6 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Last edited by silly; 03-20-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Fantastic Member

The last cover is kinda eh. Not as good as the first two were.

I'm liking the vagueness in the solicits, though. It make sure to inform without spoiling too much.

Mighty Member

kinda keeps you wondering what plans they have for cap after the mini series.

Fantastic Member

I just hope it's something else besides Dr. Manhattan. It gets very old, very fast when all the speculation regarding the mini is based around the Watchmen stuff, especially when you never liked the idea of DC messing with that universe in the first place.

Mighty Member

the watchmen rebirth connection is kinda hard to ignore with all the teases and hints that's been popping up.

but if ever doc manhattan is somehow involved i'd rather he and captain atom be of totally different entities. i don't the doctor and the captain merging into one being after all is said and done.

Fantastic Member

Here's the preview for Issue 4. Enjoy!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Here's the preview for Issue 4. Enjoy!
    thanks dude. not crazy about cap looking like major force.

How is his solo going so far? Is it worth picking up in trade? I am not particually familiar with cap Atom, with most of my knowledge coming form movies, animated shows and the odd cameo here and there.

Incredible Member

The current series has been good so far. DC is following up on the 8 issue series from 5 years ago. (The art is not as pretty. But, it is good enough. And, the writing carries its weight.) This is a good, baggage-free, point for Captain Atom. There is none of the baggage from the 90s and previous decade.

But, at this point (4 issues out of a 6 issue series), you might want to wait for the compilation.

DC seems to be moving the character to a new status quo, or (hopefully) a starting point. Hopefully, "Rebirth" (and the likely presence of Doctor Manhattan) will not screw it up. My only worry on this front is that there is a chance of a "generic conspiracy" reveal in an upcoming issue. spoilers:
    This issue gives me the impression that Captain Atom's wife was assassinated, rather than simply having been killed in a car accident.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by CentralPower; 04-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Current pull-file:
    -
    -
    -Sword Quest
    -the Ultimates^2
    -Venom
    -the Vision (Director's Cut)
    -WWE

-----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

hopefully a starting point really, where captain atom can be a consistent player again in the dcu.

Fantastic Member

Really enjoyed this issue It's about time we finally got some action as well, though I do wish they had explained a bit more why Nate is suddenly doing Eiling's work after denouncing him last issue.

spoilers:
    Also, anyone else thinking that Max Thrane is going to be the new Major Force? Between the similar powers to Nate and his past as a convicted murderer...
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    How is his solo going so far? Is it worth picking up in trade? I am not particually familiar with cap Atom, with most of my knowledge coming form movies, animated shows and the odd cameo here and there.
    I've been enjoying it. While it picks up from the Nu52 run, you don't need to read it to understand this story. Though I should warn that this take on Captain Atom is closer to the 80's and 90's run and less like the obedient military man that is shown in animation and most cameos.

Incredible Member

Eiling's offer was more or less an "or else" proposition. ("Well, I cannot stop you from walking out that door, but good luck with that when the Justice League comes looking for you....") Keep in mind, Atom is considered a danger by most people, and would likely be living as a fugitive.

And, yeah, I am guessing that the death row guy is likely to be a new iteration of Major Force.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 04-07-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Current pull-file:
    -
    -
    -Sword Quest
    -the Ultimates^2
    -Venom
    -the Vision (Director's Cut)
    -WWE

-----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Appreciating some classic Captain Atom by Steve Ditko

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Appreciating some classic Captain Atom by Steve Ditko

cool. i didn't knew captain atom could phase thru walls. my exposure to captain atom is only thru cary bates. (which was a great series).