Super Moderator

Default Teenage Challenges Collide with Japanese Mythology in Zub & Cummings' "Wayward"

Jim Zub discusses his new creator-owned venture with Steve Cummings, "Wayward," which takes its cues from teenage struggles and Japanese myth.

Full article here.

Excited to get in on the ground floor of a Creator owned series by Jim Zub. I feel like I missed out with not getting Skullkickers from the beginning but this I'm gonna be grabbing off the shelf as soon as it comes out.

I'm on board for this and giving this a try. This sounds pretty good

It's a pun

This looks and sounds pretty good. I like Japanese culture (and no, not just pop culture, which I can barely stand) and mythology, and I've been looking for some good supernatural and teen stuff. Count me in, can't wait
    There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

I will pick this up to see how it goes. It is ambitious and there are few subjects more compelling than a coming of age adventure. It is a well loved plot but they get compared to some greats. I don't know enough about comics to know if this has been done well much but in popular kids fiction, it is of course huge. If this goes well, it can be fantastic. I hope it is.

This goes on my "will check out first issue list. Seems mildly interesting but not too excited tbh" If issue one blows me away, will add to my pull list.

Interested in this. I think the art looks GREAT, Cummings has a nice style that utilizes some of the storytelling and facial features of manga without feeling too much like pastiche. Rauch's colors are wonderful, between this and Umbral he is becoming one of my favorite colorists. I like Japanese culture and think it will be fun to explore along with the protagonist who is new to the world herself. Fortunately with Cummings living there he is doing a great job drawing the habitat; I've read some manga and the streets drawn here look just like the streets I've seen in stuff like Death Note or Gantz. The wild card will be Jim Zub for me, whose work I have been sort of iffy on -- Skullkickers did nothing for me. Zub himself notes that Skullkickers isn't that big on character work, and that this (Wayward) will be more about character development. If the characters deliver I can definitely see myself getting into this one.
    Image: Saga, Chew, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly, Southern Bastards, Umbral

Independents: The Private Eye, The Black Beetle

Marvel: She-Hulk, Loki: Agent of Asgard, All-New Ghost Rider, Amazing Spider-Man, All-New X-Factor