Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: All-New X-Men, #27

The Brotherhood from the future returns with a bang in Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen's "All-New X-Men" #27.

Full review here.

I'm a bit behind, so I just read #26 this weekend. Honestly, after the Trial of Jean Grey I was considering dropping this series. Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy just isn't working for me, and I think will be even worse when they bring Venom in. But as a fan of Scott/Jean, the sexually charged, but tender interaction between mature Scott and young Jean really amazed me. And, of course, Immomen continues to knock it out of the park. Now, if we could just have Iceman and Angel step up, things would be close to perfect.
    Last edited by kcekada; 05-22-2014 at 10:56 AM.

"It brings back nostalgic memories of the old X-Men Blue and Gold Teams era with a whole different spin."
    HELL YEAH!

I've been on board since the first issue, and I have rarely been disappointed. I even enjoyed the GoG crossover (a friend gave me those issues).

I'll miss the chemistry between young Cyclops & and X-23 (a character I had no use for until now), but if Scott finally gets to spend time with his dad, it's worth it.
    Jean is developing in fascinating ways. Young Beast needs to stop fretting and enjoy the present, like Iceman seems to be doing when he isn't shrieking at every new twist (which is hilarious). Angel just needs to do something.

It may sound obvious, but there is something to be said for long, stable creative team runs. "Here for the new arc!!"-hype drives me nuts.
    Top 6 Books Lately: All-New X-Men, Aquaman, Black Science, Five Ghosts, Flash Gordon, Starlight
    Top 6 Legionnaires: Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Polar Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy
    Top 6 X-Men: Cyclops, Iceman, Colossus, Cannonball, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey

I used to love the X-Men but the recent versions leave me lost. I think the market is saturated and I am not a fan of the Bendis stories. He really seems to slowly move the plot along and end issues on a bit of a cliffhanger. Unfortunately, the next issue underwhelms. I've seen enough of his work now that it seems formulaic. I tried. Things are just way too convoluted and the storytelling does nothing for me.

i don't really understand why this book keeps getting great reviews issue after issue, when it's constantly been the same thing over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by bhj View Post
    i don't really understand why this book keeps getting great reviews issue after issue, when it's constantly been the same thing over and over again.
    I could NOT agree more! Bendis spews out the same formula crap over and over. The characters seem to lack their own mannerisms and identities and it's just a mish mash of generic conversation and each issue ends with a bit of a 'cliffhanger' type ending. I really think this guy should focus on a couple of books. It's quality, not quantity.

BANNED

Why does this review have its own thread~~?~ we already have a #27 discussion~~~~~?

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Why does this review have its own thread~~?~ we already have a #27 discussion~~~~~?
    CBR reviews have their own discussion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by cayce pollard View Post
    "It brings back nostalgic memories of the old X-Men Blue and Gold Teams era with a whole different spin."
    HELL YEAH!
    Nauseating nostalgia aside, there wasn't a really compelling thematic reason to have blue and gold squads outside of an otherwise crowded roster needing some artificial separating out (and the symbolic rift between Lee and Claremont manifesting itself through the comic)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenozoic View Post

I'll miss the chemistry between young Cyclops & and X-23 (a character I had no use for until now).
    I still fail to see a real chemistry between a confused Scott trying to get over on his "crush" Jean by gravitating towards the sullen bad girl archetype. All she needed was a cig hanging out of her lip as she holds court with her fellow leather-jacketed bad-asses on the school quad as inconsequential, khakis-clad teen Scott can't avert his longing gaze while he strides less-than-confidently into first period biology.

Quote Originally Posted by bhj View Post
    I hate to agree but it is true. The true X-men titles are the only ones I follow (including X-force and X-men because of Ray/Psylocke), otherwise I do not read any of the Wolverine's X-men titles...and I only follow these 2 because of the art. The dialouge is great, as Bendis always does, the stories are pretty terrible though. He does better in a single voice character like Spider-Man (and in an alternate Universe where he cannot f^$# with the history or lives of cared for characters).
    If Immonen or Bachalo leave it would have to be a long-term amazing artist to keep me on the titles (Davis/Kirk/Larraz)...but I cannot help but buy the book for Immonen's pretty (and yes, I feel bad every month when I know how I feel about the writing and that this is keeping Bendis on the title and in a position of authority in the X-men universe.).

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    I still fail to see a real chemistry between a confused Scott trying to get over on his "crush" Jean by gravitating towards the sullen bad girl archetype. All she needed was a cig hanging out of her lip as she holds court with her fellow leather-jacketed bad-asses on the school quad as inconsequential, khakis-clad teen Scott can't avert his longing gaze while he strides less-than-confidently into first period biology.
    When you compare their livesthey very much do have a fair bit of common ground from which to draw a connection, as both have had godawfully abusive upbringings as the starting point. On top of that, Teen!Scott is being saddled with the blame, anger, and hatred of a lot of people over things he hasn't even done yet from his perspective, while Laura is still constantly being judged by others over the things she HAS done, (Emma Frost -- Queen of Hypocrites if Logan is the King -- didn't even want her at the school in NXM once she found out what Laura was) and even her friends tend to be afraid of her. Everyone's first impression of Laura is always the weapon, not the girl, while Teen!Scott is the boy who grows up to kill Xavier. They're two outcasts that are essentially bonding over being outcasts.

Laura also seems to quickly grow attached to anyone who shows her even a little bit of kindness. It's the likely explanation of how Zebra Daddy got her under his control prior to NYX, and she started to get clingy with Hellion after he saved her from Nimrod, etc. So the fact that Teen!Scott was the only one of the O5 to really try and get to know and befriend her factors into HER response to him (do keep that in mind; whatever the nature of Tyke and Laura's relationship, it has been reciprocal).

The chemistry from that perspective is there, and I do think their interactions are very well-done on that level. I don't know that there's anywhere for it to go beyond that, but to say there's nothing at all is pretty short-sighted.

BANNED

I don't know why the X-Men continue to label themselves as outcasts, they're all young, healthy, and beautiful and have some incredible abilities that would be the envy of any teenager. Yet they continue to wrap themselves in troubles that completely transcend first world problems to a new level of banality. All of these characters need to stop moping so damn much and just live for once.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I don't know why the X-Men continue to label themselves as outcasts, they're all young, healthy, and beautiful and have some incredible abilities that would be the envy of any teenager. Yet they continue to wrap themselves in troubles that completely transcend first world problems to a new level of banality. All of these characters need to stop moping so damn much and just live for once.
    Marvel, Bendis et al have failed to make iconic moments for the X-Men. Your comment about being outcasts etc would fit right in if we were early in the X-Men comic history...at the beginning of Claremont's run. He came up with some great stuff. Sadly, the same ideas plague the X-Men universe now. Today's world is far more accepting. I don't think we'd accept super-powered mutants carte blanche but the world has changed. Bendis really needs to get a bit unique with one of the flagship Marvel titles. He's a big reason I rarely buy Marvel these days.