Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Isaac! I adore Sports Night. He had so many wonderful moments on that show.

Fats Domino also passed away today at 89.
    A great talent. The American Graffiti soundtrack gave a great boost to those pre-Beatles acts that sort of got pushed aside. My favorites are Ain't that a Shame and I'm Walking. The latter has been used in a lot of movies too.

I think when I was a kid Blueberry Hill was considered "dirty" LOL. Look at us now. RIP, big guy.

89 looks to be a very unlucky number this week.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-25-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    A great talent. The American Graffiti soundtrack gave a great boost to those pre-Beatles acts that sort of got pushed aside. My favorites are Ain't that a Shame and I'm Walking. The latter has been used in a lot of movies too.

I think when I was a kid Blueberry Hill was considered "dirty" LOL. Look at us now. RIP, big guy.

89 looks to be a very unlucky number this week.

Another great gone from the '50s. Loved his music since I heard my mother's '78 of Blueberry Hill back in the '70s. The first CD box set I ever purchased was of his classic work from Liberty Records. Seemed like a nice guy, too.

RIP, Fat Man
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

Dennis Banks, a co-founder of the American Indian Movement and a leader of the 1973 Wounded Knee occupation, has died, his family said Monday. He was 80.
    Banks was one of several activists who founded the American Indian Movement in Minneapolis in 1968, and he was a leader of AIM's armed takeover of Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota in 1973, in a protest against both the tribal and U.S. governments. Haƞhépi wašté
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

Astonishing Member Old School Ollie 1962's Avatar

Keith Wilder, Singer of Acclaimed Funk Outfit Heatwave, Dead at 65

Roy Halladay, former Toronto Blue Jays pitching ace and Cy Young Award winner, in a plane accident. Gone far too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Roy Halladay, former Toronto Blue Jays pitching ace and Cy Young Award winner, in a plane accident. Gone far too soon.
    I hate to say it, but his untimely death probably sealed his HOF induction in the near future.

RIP

Karin Dor passed away on Monday at the age of 79. Internationally, she was best known for her appearances in "You Only Live Twice" and Alfred Hitchcock's "Topaz", as well as European productions like "Caroline Chérie" and "Los Monstruos del Terror". In Germany, she's best remembered for several roles in film adaptations of British crime novelist Edgar Wallace and German adventure novelist Karl May.
    There are many ways to kill. One can stab a knife in your guts; take away your bread; deprive you of the cure for your illness; put you in a miserable housing; torture you to death with work; take you to war; etc.
    Only a few of these are prohibited in our country.
    - Berthold Brecht

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For fans of Magnum P.I., some bad news, John Hillerman who played Higgins passed away at 84:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000009
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    For fans of Magnum P.I., some bad news, John Hillerman who played Higgins passed away at 84:

He was a big part of one of my favorite (if not #1) shows from the '80s, though he always was good in anything he did.

RIP

Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Very sad to hear. I managed to see Keith along with Roy Carter perform some of their hits some 25 years ago at a Christian conference in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Legendary Philadelphia producer, songwriter and singer Bunny Sigler passed away, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He was a big part of one of my favorite (if not #1) shows from the '80s, though he always was good in anything he did.

RIP
    I always found Hillerman very entertaining as that snobbish kind of guy when he was on One Day at a Time as "M S Romano's" boss. IIRC he always pronounced the letters M and the S separately and not as one word. And of course his Higgins the somewhat eccentric butler on Magnum P.I was good too.
    You can always tell a performer that started on the stage because of the voice is a very important tool in their arsenal.

Not to be morbid but I thought he may have died and I just never read about it. His IMDB entries stop at 1996.

Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I always found Hillerman very entertaining as that snobbish kind of guy when he was on One Day at a Time as "M S Romano's" boss. IIRC he always pronounced the letters M and the S separately and not as one word. And of course his Higgins the somewhat eccentric butler on Magnum P.I was good too.
    You can always tell a performer that started on the stage because of the voice is a very important tool in their arsenal.

Not to be morbid but I thought he may have died and I just never read about it. His IMDB entries stop at 1996.
    That's a shame.

He was such an integral part of the series. Magnum, Higgins and the car. My brother and I used to watch it on Sunday afternoons as that's when it aired on TV in the UK, IIRC.

Not my favourite, but amongst my favourites which included Starsky & Hutch, The Incredible Hulk, Cagney & Lacy, Hill Street Blues,, Fawlty Towers, amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    That's a shame.

He was such an integral part of the series. Magnum, Higgins and the car. My brother and I used to watch it on Sunday afternoons as that's when it aired on TV in the UK, IIRC.

Not my favourite, but amongst my favourites which included Starsky & Hutch, The Incredible Hulk, Cagney & Lacy, Hill Street Blues,, Fawlty Towers, amongst others.
    Except for Starsky and Hutch, I watched all of those too.

At one time by brother's inlaws (first wife) lived across the road from David Soul in the Hollywood Hills. My brother's father in law worked for Disney as an architechural designer (retired) I stayed at their house and they pointed at his driveway, which was across from theirs. You can't see the homes from the road though. Down the street was Juliet Mills, sister of Hayley and star of Nanny and the Professor. Her home you could see from the road.

Higgins was like the American version of Alfred. RIP, good sir!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.