Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,890

    Default EXCLUSIVE: Edwards, Liefeld Cover July's "Starlight" #5

    CBR has the exclusive look at Tommy Lee Edwards and Rob Liefeld's covers for Mark Millar and Goran Parlov's "Starlight" #5, on sale July 9.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,670

    Default





  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I don't know a thing about this title, but that Liefeld piece is really awful - like so bad it makes me think he can't be serious with it...

  4. #4
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Hey it's Cable without all his future-tech.

  5. #5

    Default

    When I was young and impressionable and saw Liefeld's work on New Mutants, I thought Liefeld's art was the greatest thing since slice cheese. Had to get every issue of his New Mutants run (still have deadpool's first appearance on New Mutant's 98 in minty condition Yay!!!!)

    But yeah, that Liefeld Starlight cover is godawful. It's amazing how Liefeld's art look exactly the same after all these years and hasn't improved one bit.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    What amazes me is that he still drawing that same short sword.
    Seriously, every sword he draws has that curved blade and D handle.
    The sword is NOTHING like that in the comic.

    Then you have the hair dryer gun...


    Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I don't know a thing about this title, but that Liefeld piece is really awful - like so bad it makes me think he can't be serious with it...
    Starlight is actually pretty damn good.
    Old school pulp feel with a bit of Gran Torino.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    What amazes me is that he still drawing that same short sword.
    Seriously, every sword he draws has that curved blade and D handle.
    The sword is NOTHING like that in the comic.

    Then you have the hair dryer gun...




    Starlight is actually pretty damn good.
    Old school pulp feel with a bit of Gran Torino.
    Yep, Starlight is simply terrific. I cannot say enough good things about it. After reading Starlight I was delighted to know that Dynamite just released a new Flash Gordon series. I knew nothing about Flash Gordon and it was Starlight that actually made me check it out and added to my pull list. So far the first issue of Flash Gordon is pretty good but it's nothing compared to Starlight. Just so much fun, I'd like to see more Starlight comics from Image in the future.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Like I said, I'm not familiar with the comic at all, but based on Liefeld's cover I assumed the character had some sort of deformed claw for a left hand. I see from the other cover that that's not the case...and yeah, that gun is absolutely comically-classic Liefeld bad. Then there's the weird underbite that makes it look like the guy is some sort of ventriloquist's dummy with a distinct chin piece that moves up and down under the upper lip. Liefeld's stuff often has a quality for me that makes it strangely impossible to look away once you start dissecting the image - the strangeness just keeps on revealing itself...

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Like I said, I'm not familiar with the comic at all, but based on Liefeld's cover I assumed the character had some sort of deformed claw for a left hand. I see from the other cover that that's not the case...and yeah, that gun is absolutely comically-classic Liefeld bad. Then there's the weird underbite that makes it look like the guy is some sort of ventriloquist's dummy with a distinct chin piece that moves up and down under the upper lip. Liefeld's stuff often has a quality for me that makes it strangely impossible to look away once you start dissecting the image - the strangeness just keeps on revealing itself...
    Don't let Liefeld's atrocious cover deter you away from Starlight. It ranks right up there on the very top of my pull list for favorite comic. If you love pulpy sci fi, you must get this. I'd like to thank all the reviewers on this site that gave it good reviews which made me pick this up. It really has made me fall in love with comics all over again. I know I'm being melodramatic but it's true, I have never loved comics as much as I do now. So many great titles on the stands right now.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I am fan of pulp sci-fi so I may check this out...but I won't be buying the Liefeld variant, lol.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Man oh man that is one steaming coiler - that Liefeld cover is awful. Just awful. If I ever get published by Image, I am never going to let Liefeld touch my stuff. I've never read this book and I don't think I'd ever want to now. That alt cover cannot be unseen. It has caused me some serious trauma...the horror...the horror...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookMan View Post
    Man oh man that is one steaming coiler - that Liefeld cover is awful. Just awful. If I ever get published by Image, I am never going to let Liefeld touch my stuff. I've never read this book and I don't think I'd ever want to now. That alt cover cannot be unseen. It has caused me some serious trauma...the horror...the horror...
    ComicBookMan, I really love your gimmick. A+ stuff. This is the only post you've made so far that is on point and that I agree with you.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    It's not THAT atrocious composition-wise, but yeah his art is barely getting to where it should've been 20 years ago. At least it's not a dead profile or frontal shot with the character in a contorted scream.

    And is that-- *gasp* -- FIVE WHOLE FLESH AND BLOOD FINGERS ON HIS RIGHT HAND???!!

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Ok, so I did go and read issues 1-3. It's not bad. I do enjoy it. The only negatives: it seems to be a Flash Gordon rip-off and it is moving at a slow pace.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •