Page 6 of 594 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 8907
  1. #76
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I think of all the Robin's Jason got by far the best deal in the reboot.
    To be fair someone tried their best to trash him with Tynion's run, the inconsistant artists after Rocafort's leaving and that crappy B&R issue after Damian's death.

  2. #77
    Junior Member EdwardNigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    I disagree completely to those who don't think a good villain/anti-hero arc for Jason could work. He obviously isn't going to off the Joker but who is to say he doesn't try? The Joker tries to kill Batman all the time. Obviously we know it isn't going to happen but we are still entertained. The same thing could apply here. The only problem is you have to write well to pull it off.

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    I disagree completely to those who don't think a good villain/anti-hero arc for Jason could work. He obviously isn't going to off the Joker but who is to say he doesn't try? The Joker tries to kill Batman all the time. Obviously we know it isn't going to happen but we are still entertained. The same thing could apply here. The only problem is you have to write well to pull it off.
    Sure you could that but then you will: Retreading AGAIN what Winnick did on Under the Red Hood, rendering Jason's argument meanigless (and keep in mind than when Jason was allowed to off a Joker version it was really lame and unsatisfactory). Giving Jason no names criminals to kill is also a retread of UtRH, realystically speaking that direction for Jason would only end on he becoming a crime lord for the batfamily to defeat (AGAIN a retread of UtRH) See a pattern here?

    And I can't understand all of you people claiming how watered down Jason is now when DC's getting a TON of flak for being too edgy and violent.

  4. #79
    Junior Member EdwardNigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Sure you could that but then you will: Retreading AGAIN what Winnick did on Under the Red Hood, rendering Jason's argument meanigless (and keep in mind than when Jason was allowed to off a Joker version it was really lame and unsatisfactory). Giving Jason no names criminals to kill is also a retread of UtRH, realystically speaking that direction for Jason would only end on he becoming a crime lord for the batfamily to defeat (AGAIN a retread of UtRH) See a pattern here?

    And I can't understand all of you people claiming how watered down Jason is now when DC's getting a TON of flak for being too edgy and violent.
    It's because he is watered down but I CAN'T imagine Jason EVER teaming up with the Bat family like he does now after his argument in Under the Red Hood. It is completely hypocritical and out of character.

  5. #80
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    There is a lot more than they could have done with the UtRH Jason that wouldn't be retreading what Winick did. Like for instance take him out of Gotham, have him take his competing brand of justice on the road. Hitting other cities like Metropolis and seeing how those cities hero's react to him. Another thing they could have tried which i think could have been interesting is have him join the Suicide Squad.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    It's because he is watered down but I CAN'T imagine Jason EVER teaming up with the Bat family like he does now after his argument in Under the Red Hood. It is completely hypocritical and out of character.
    N52 Jason isn't the same as UtRH Jason for once, Dick was aware about who was Red Hood (and he even fought him) on the N52. Until more is revelade we can't really say if is hypocrital for him to work with the family.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    There is a lot more than they could have done with the UtRH Jason that wouldn't be retreading what Winick did. Like for instance take him out of Gotham, have him take his competing brand of justice on the road. Hitting other cities like Metropolis and seeing how those cities hero's react to him. Another thing they could have tried which i think could have been interesting is have him join the Suicide Squad.
    The problem with that is the Batman connection, Bruce would end looking incompetent for allowing a problem of his to bother other cities. And Winnick did try that approach with the GA story and wasn't that well received.

  7. #82
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    N52 Jason isn't the same as UtRH Jason for once, Dick was aware about who was Red Hood (and he even fought him) on the N52. Until more is revelade we can't really say if is hypocrital for him to work with the family.
    Even if UtRH is canon in the New 52, Jason would have still changed as a person from that story, so I don't really see how hypocrisy is really relevant. I mean people change their attitudes, it happens.

    The problem with that is the Batman connection, Bruce would end looking incompetent for allowing a problem of his to bother other cities. And Winnick did try that approach with the GA story and wasn't that well received.
    I agree, but to be fair, those issues were pretty bad. Winnick struck gold on UtRH, but he's horribly inconsistent, and I remember Jason being really soapbox-y and obnoxious in those issues.

  8. #83
    THE RED HOOD JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WITH THE OUTLAWS
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    There is a lot more than they could have done with the UtRH Jason that wouldn't be retreading what Winick did. Like for instance take him out of Gotham, have him take his competing brand of justice on the road. Hitting other cities like Metropolis and seeing how those cities hero's react to him. Another thing they could have tried which i think could have been interesting is have him join the Suicide Squad.
    While it's certainly true that they could have done a lot of things with the character after the end of UtRH and while I would have been just as happy to see what a fully developed villain version of Jason Todd would have been like the simple fact is DC dropped the ball after UtRH was over. They had no real plans for the character beyond that one story and no writer willing enough to pick up where Winick left off. If they had then Jason would not have spent all that time stagnating, spending time connected at the hip to Batman while being involved in a seemingly never ending cycle of similar stories that were merely rehashing of the same tired plotline with only the characters involved being different each time.

    Personally, for me it was time that Jason underwent some kind of shakeup. Could that have happened without a reboot? sure and I think it was trending that way before the reboot with the introduction of Scarlet and their decision to leave Gotham. The reboot merely gave them an excuse to take it a bit further more quickly is all.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-09-2014 at 08:10 PM.

    Aftershock: Alters
    DC: Action/BM/Batman Beyond/Black Lightning/Blue Beetle/Flash/Gotham City Garage/GLS/JLA/Kamandi/Mister Miracle/NS-M/NW: The New Order/RHATO/SG/SM/Super Sons/TT/Trinity
    Lion Forge: Catalyst Prime: Accell/Astonisher/Incidentals/Noble/Superb + Jazz Maynard &VLD
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Eternity/Harbringer Renegade/Ninja-K/Q&W/War Mother/X-O

  9. #84
    THE RED HOOD JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WITH THE OUTLAWS
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    To be fair someone tried their best to trash him with Tynion's run, the inconsistant artists after Rocafort's leaving and that crappy B&R issue after Damian's death.
    To be fair it could have been much worse than that. See Tim Drake. I believe he drew the short straw in the reboot and has been handled far worse then Jason was by Tomasi or Tynion.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-09-2014 at 08:13 PM.

    Aftershock: Alters
    DC: Action/BM/Batman Beyond/Black Lightning/Blue Beetle/Flash/Gotham City Garage/GLS/JLA/Kamandi/Mister Miracle/NS-M/NW: The New Order/RHATO/SG/SM/Super Sons/TT/Trinity
    Lion Forge: Catalyst Prime: Accell/Astonisher/Incidentals/Noble/Superb + Jazz Maynard &VLD
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Eternity/Harbringer Renegade/Ninja-K/Q&W/War Mother/X-O

  10. #85
    Rookie Member Jay Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    There is a lot more than they could have done with the UtRH Jason that wouldn't be retreading what Winick did. Like for instance take him out of Gotham, have him take his competing brand of justice on the road. Hitting other cities like Metropolis and seeing how those cities hero's react to him. Another thing they could have tried which i think could have been interesting is have him join the Suicide Squad.
    I'll tell you exactly how it'll end--Jason will do his thing in Metropolis and then Superman will catch him in a matter of days and throw his happy little ass into jail.

    Now, the Suicide Squad has some potential--it would certainly make his current title "& The Outlaws" make a lot more sense...

  11. #86
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    It's because he is watered down but I CAN'T imagine Jason EVER teaming up with the Bat family like he does now after his argument in Under the Red Hood. It is completely hypocritical and out of character.
    Under The Red Hood happened at large, but this isn`t the same Jason. It isn`t the same family either. The reason he`s well handled now is because there`s more than one venue for him to go that won`t feel forced. If you actually read the crossovers he`s had with them, Jason is never the entusiastic guy when he needs to return to Gotham, but he does, because that`s what family is about. The only watered down aspect they made was to not have Jason going rogue on every character around.

    If you think of it this way, it`s really the one marketing idea that will work in the long run for the character in the mythos. Why? Because in the end, most of the fanbase wants to see him interact with the family. Same with any other ex Robin or ex partner. They need to be theyr own man, but the interaction is essencial, time to time, to remind us who they used to be and what they are at the core.

    You could in a way, have Jason make his goal trying to off the Joker, true, but that leads to a one note song that will end up always getting stale. If you write him that way, he will only come across as weak, overly obsessive and without much else to add: i.e boring to read. A character to suceed needs diferent goals, an agenda outside the nest and secondary characters around to interact with. This Jason got it, finally.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 05-10-2014 at 03:39 AM.

  12. #87
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Jason has a goal and an agenda outside the nest?

  13. #88
    Inquisitive Dzetoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Under The Red Hood happened at large, but this isn`t the same Jason. It isn`t the same family either. The reason he`s well handled now is because there`s more than one venue for him to go that won`t feel forced. If you actually read the crossovers he`s had with them, Jason is never the entusiastic guy when he needs to return to Gotham, but he does, because that`s what family is about. The only watered down aspect they made was to not have Jason going rogue on every character around.
    I'm sorry, what do you mean that UTRH happened "at large?" Do you mean that something along those lines happened but the details played out differently because we are dealing with different characters? If so, I think we are in agreement. This is largely my understanding of DITF in the New 52 as well. Something like that happened, but there might be quite a bit of difference in the specifics (I seriously doubt the Joker was ever a UN ambassador, for one thing, and I'm sure DC was very glad to jettison that wretch-inducing twist).

  14. #89
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Jason has a goal and an agenda outside the nest?
    Global trotting, targetting the Untitled, dealing with the league of Assasins, etc. He`s been out of Gotham and out of obsessing over Bruce and the Joker, that`s what I mean with being "out of the nest". Of all the former Robins, Jason spends the least time around.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 05-10-2014 at 11:04 AM.

  15. #90
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    I'm sorry, what do you mean that UTRH happened "at large?" Do you mean that something along those lines happened but the details played out differently because we are dealing with different characters? If so, I think we are in agreement. This is largely my understanding of DITF in the New 52 as well. Something like that happened, but there might be quite a bit of difference in the specifics (I seriously doubt the Joker was ever a UN ambassador, for one thing, and I'm sure DC was very glad to jettison that wretch-inducing twist).
    Pretty much. UDRH is basically the same storyline without the Prime part playing in, for one. In the first issue of RATHO there was this flashback of Bruce on the ground with Jason pointing the gun at him when Dick kicks Jason from behind to save him, something that we didn`t saw happening exactly the same way in the mentioned arc. So I`m thinking editorial is keeping most things but will change an especific here and there to better suit the new takes.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •