Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    The Silver Age Legion may have been my introduction to comics, but the Post-Zero Hour era is simply the best.
    This is exactly me. I was introduced to them in the GDS and kept up with them ever since. But Post Zero Hour (Begining of DnA run) is my favorite.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

So despite the decades I've spent reading comics, THIS is the first time I've actually been involved on a forum. Earlier, basically on a whim, I decided to go an see what people on some old forums had to say about my favorite era of the team: The Post-Zero Hour Group.

And damn if there wasn't a disappointing consistency I saw.

Most people, at least those who didn't just hate it automatically for being a reboot, seemed to say that the first year, The White Triangle storyline was great, but after that the quality went down, and by the time Emerald Violet showed up, it was crap, all the way up until Dan Abnett took over.

I was pretty flabbergasted to see this. Sure, the time the team spent in the 2000's had some rough points, but that aside, I think the entire era is nearly perfect. And Emerald Vi? Sure, it wasn't as good as The White Triangle saga or Legion Lost, but I've always considered it my third favorite storyline of the era. Great build up, clever foreshadowing, Gim's tragic death, and ultimately the climactic fight against Mordru? I thought it was all fantastic!

What do you guys think of all this?

So despite the decades I've spent reading comics, THIS is the first time I've actually been involved on a forum. Earlier, basically on a whim, I decided to go an see what people on some old forums had to say about my favorite era of the team: The Post-Zero Hour Group.

And damn if there wasn't a disappointing consistency I saw.

Most people, at least those who didn't just hate it automatically for being a reboot, seemed to say that the first year, The White Triangle storyline was great, but after that the quality went down, and by the time Emerald Violet showed up, it was crap, all the way up until Dan Abnett took over.

I was pretty flabbergasted to see this. Sure, the time the team spent in the 2000's had some rough points, but that aside, I think the entire era is nearly perfect. And Emerald Vi? Sure, it wasn't as good as The White Triangle saga or Legion Lost, but I've always considered it my third favorite storyline of the era. Great build up, clever foreshadowing, Gim's tragic death, and ultimately the climactic fight against Mordru? I thought it was all fantastic!

What do you guys think of all this?
    I would agree that it's very good, but not perfect. I think we have the same likes in quite a few things. To me though, Legion Lost and DnA's run is the greatest Legion run ever. I used to think the GDS was the best until DnA's run.

About 5 years ago I lost my job and my wife lost her's a month later. We were strapped for cash and trying to pay our bills the best we could. Long story short, I ended up selling off about a 1/3 of my collection, which included all of my LOSH collection (the Silver Age stuff all the way up) except for DnA's run and while it was necessary at the time, I'm still kicking myself for doing it. I've since reacquired some stuff, but still not everything.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I would agree that it's very good, but not perfect. I think we have the same likes in quite a few things. To me though, Legion Lost and DnA's run is the greatest Legion run ever. I used to think the GDS was the best until DnA's run.

About 5 years ago I lost my job and my wife lost her's a month later. We were strapped for cash and trying to pay our bills the best we could. Long story short, I ended up selling off about a 1/3 of my collection, which included all of my LOSH collection (the Silver Age stuff all the way up) except for DnA's run and while it was necessary at the time, I'm still kicking myself for doing it. I've since reacquired some stuff, but still not everything.
    The DnA run is amazing as well, and I'd personally put it on equal footing with the Waid/Peyer era, Legion Lost and White Triangle being the highlights of each respective run, both beating out GDS IMHO.

Man, that's rough. It'd kill me if I had to sell that much of my childhood, but sometimes it's necessary. I hope you and your wife are doing better financially these days, and that you can recoup your losses soon.

The DnA run is amazing as well, and I'd personally put it on equal footing with the Waid/Peyer era, Legion Lost and White Triangle being the highlights of each respective run, both beating out GDS IMHO.

Man, that's rough. It'd kill me if I had to sell that much of my childhood, but sometimes it's necessary. I hope you and your wife are doing better financially these days, and that you can recoup your losses soon.
    Thank you. It wasn't just my LOSH collection that I sold. I sold all of my silver age runs and some complete sets and runs (like Avengers v1 and Uncanny X-Men v1 from #120-400). I used to have 45 long boxes of comics. Now I have about 18. I've been able to go back and reacquire some of the sets I sold. Over the last year and a half I've also been converting my floppies to HC and some of my floppies I'm getting bound. My goal is to eventually be floppy free (for the most part).

We're doing much better now though. God has blessed us tremendously. My wife is now working at a major university and we are doing very well financially.

the ZH legion is my favorite, too. it probably has a lot to do with the nostalgia factor -- i'm in my 30s, so growing up in the 90s the ZH legion was "my" legion, as opposed to another era.

i re-read the whole thing last summer. i was definitely ready for a change when DnA showed up, but the whole thing holds a special place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight1047 View Post

we're doing much better now though. God has blessed us tremendously. My wife is now working at a major university and we are doing very well financially.
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    the ZH legion is my favorite, too. it probably has a lot to do with the nostalgia factor -- i'm in my 30s, so growing up in the 90s the ZH legion was "my" legion, as opposed to another era.

i re-read the whole thing last summer. i was definitely ready for a change when DnA showed up, but the whole thing holds a special place for me.
    Much as I love the lighter tone of the Peyer era, I do agree that the way things were heading, it would have gotten stale if DnA hadn't come to darken things up a bit. It could have gone badly had they taken out ALL the fun, but they were able to balance it very nicely.

Cool, another ZH Legion fan!

Have you read other incarnations of the team or just the ZH team on up?

Much as I love the lighter tone of the Peyer era, I do agree that the way things were heading, it would have gotten stale if DnA hadn't come to darken things up a bit. It could have gone badly had they taken out ALL the fun, but they were able to balance it very nicely.
    Agreed. Even the best runs have to eventually change directions or they end up getting stale. I think DnA came in at just the right time and brought an edgy feel to the team.

I certainly hope he's read what came before. While some of the threeboot was great (Supergirl REALLY bogged it down), after the DnA run, Legion of 3 Worlds was the only amazing story; the Post-Final Crisis and new 52 eras being the worst in the team's history.

But for what came before, The Legion's adventures are, for the most part, the best of the entire Silver Age. The Bronze Age stories are beloved by most legion fans, I just love the GDS and think the rest of the era was okay, and if you've read everything that comes before it, 5 Years Later is incredible.

the Post-Final Crisis and new 52 eras being the worst in the team's history.
    Unfortunately, this is true. These are just awful. I wish they had been better, but they were not. I would add that the Legion Lightning Saga storyarc that ran through Action Comics #858-863 was very cool.

everything since ZH, and i've jumped into the old stuff via the first five black and white showcase collections (which i believe took me into the 70s) and some of the 80s trades that have been released in recent years (great darkness saga, eye for an eye, more things change). i'm definitely not a classic era expert but i certainly enjoy what i've read.

i need a legion rebirth title or two in my life.

everything since ZH, and i've jumped into the old stuff via the first five black and white showcase collections (which i believe took me into the 70s) and some of the 80s trades that have been released in recent years (great darkness saga, eye for an eye, more things change). i'm definitely not a classic era expert but i certainly enjoy what i've read.
    Cool. Sounds like you've read a lot of good stuff Pre-Crisis

i need a legion rebirth title or two in my life.
    That actually gets me thinking: If Legion Rebirth takes off, do you think the franchise could support one or two other books? Back in the early 90's, Legion of Super Heroes, Legionares (Which wasn't just about the same group as the main Legion book at the time), and Valor were all running.

Personally, if the first book is good enough, I definitely think it could! As for the books I'd pick:

Legionares: Rather than being about a bunch of clones, or the same group as the main book, each issue of this book would be a solo adventure about a different member of the team.

and the Legionare I'd pick to have their OWN solo book:

Triad: She's only my sixth favorite Legionaire, but DC desperately needs more books with female leads. And while Vi is my favorite female Legionaire, I think Triad is more interesting, and a dynamic enough character to be a lead. Plus hey, she's her own supporting cast. Also Chuck.

Which other Legion books would you guys want to see?