Super Moderator

Default Gerry Duggan Unleashes the Ω "Hulk"

Writer Gerry Duggan takes over Marvel's "Hulk" ongoing series in August and tells CBR about his take on the Jade Giant, and his first arc, "The Ω Hulk."

Full article here.

I've really enjoyed what I've read of Duggan. He's a solid midcard writer in Marvel's stable, kind of like a Jeff Parker or FVL. While I'm hesitant due to Bagley and the $3.99 price tag, I'd still be thrilled to see a few gamma stars in play again.

Diehard X-Men & Hulk fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I'm a HUGE Hulk fan but wasn't a big fan of Waid's take on him, which lead me to drop Indestructible Hulk about 10 or so issues in.

I like what Duggan's saying, but I just hope he doesn't depower Gen. Ross or Betty. The foremost isn't likely since he's still in Thunderbolts, but it's possible Betty could get depowered.

That said, I'm still really excited to start reading Hulk again.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Wait...Is that my dude, Gary Frank's art on that cover? I think it is!

Is his contract over with DC? I hope so. He needs to come back home to Marvel anyway. : )

I'd be willing to bet that Mark Waid will move onto Guardians of the Galaxy 3000.
    Axis UncannyAvengers UncannyXMen XFactor XForce Magneto Loki GhostRider Nightcrawler SpiderMan2099 SecretSix Grayson Lobo Saga Wicked+Divine Low

After the last issue, I hope we don't lose the great interactions with Maria Hill when Duggan takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    After the last issue, I hope we don't lose the great interactions with Maria Hill when Duggan takes over.
    Sad thing is, I find myself thinking this with almost every Maria Hill appearance. Such a great character and, maybe because of the whole replaced by Daisy thing, I always worry that she'll be sidelined. I love any character interactions with her and the impatient yet concerned for Bruce dynamic has been the high point of this run to me.

Gallifrey endures. Blackphoenix's Avatar

I couldn't get into Waid's run on Hulk at all; I would love to read a truly great Hulk omic again.

uh... who is the Omega Hulk? We've already seen the Devil Hulk..

No one since Pak has been able to write a good Hulk book. I'm not familiar with Duggan's work, but I hope he does better than Waid and Aaron.
    On ye olde CBR

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about this. However, I must admit, it sounds interesting. And I'm liking the new writer's enthusiasm on the subject. I hope we get some great Hulk stories with the Green Goliath as a character with the ability to smash massive villains/threats and speak in full sentences.

I'm not familiar with Duggan's work, but after going 3 years without a single, solid Hulk issue... I'm willing to give him a chance. Who knows? He might be the next Greg Pak or Peter David. That'd be most welcome.

I'd love to see Skaar again, as he's a character that has a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to the return of memorable characters that we've come to love through the years: Rick Jones/A-Bomb, Marlo Chandler-Jones, Kate Waynesboro, the Warbound, Betty Ross-Banner/Red She-Hulk, etc. Hopefully that means no more of SHIELD or the lame supporting cast of Waid's tenure.

'm also hoping for some epic action, as we're starving for some right now! I don't mind some humor, as PAD & Pak provided some in their runs, just as long as it isn't over-done. Now, don't get me wrong, it's still uncertain if Gerry Duggan will be a good (maybe great, if he's lucky) Hulk writer or a bad one (mediocre like Mark Waid, Jason Aaron, Jeph Loeb, etc.). Only time will tell. I'll be remaining indifferent until then.

And lastly, I'm F@&king glad that Mark Waid is gone from the series! Get lost and don't ever come back! Congratz on giving us fans one of the most worst, most boring, most uninspired, and utterly lackluster/forgettable runs on the Hulk ever to be published. You won't be missed by a lot of us!

I really hope I like it.
    I dropped Waid's run early on but it'd be good to read a monthly Hulk comic again

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I'm a HUGE Hulk fan but wasn't a big fan of Waid's take on him, which lead me to drop Indestructible Hulk about 10 or so issues in.

I like what Duggan's saying, but I just hope he doesn't depower Gen. Ross or Betty. The foremost isn't likely since he's still in Thunderbolts, but it's possible Betty could get depowered.

That said, I'm still really excited to start reading Hulk again.
    I agree, both characters are awesome IMO.

I loved the first five issues of Waid's run with Leinil Yu on art, but then the book went into a different direction and I lost interest. I think that Duggan will do a great job and I'm excited to see the Omega Hulk arc.