Page 229 of 250 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 3746

Meh, I wasn't a big fan of BoD. I felt the writing was weak and I can't get into Gil's art no matter how hard I try. Well that's not true. The flash forwards were great and seemed to overshadow the main story. The tie-ins were straight up kickass. X-O, Bloodshot, and especially Harbinger were pure gold.

I enjoyed Harbinger Wars. Alot. It introduced a whole new set of characters from new psiots to an enemy that's gotten to pop up across the board. Each and every one were great additions to the universe. Armor Hunters is a great event and added so much to Aric's story. If you're willing to give AvX of all things a pass then you set the bar pretty low. Seriously though, Armor Hunters and Harbinger Wars are pretty great.

Divinity has a bunch of potential and was a great read except for what I consider a minor stumble right at the end. I'm super excited for the second volume come April.

Oh and don't worry about having a negative opinion. As long as you're down for discussion and not be dickish, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Meh, I wasn't a big fan of BoD. I felt the writing was weak and I can't get into Gil's art no matter how hard I try. Well that's not true. The flash forwards were great and seemed to overshadow the main story. The tie-ins were straight up kickass. X-O, Bloodshot, and especially Harbinger were pure gold.

I enjoyed Harbinger Wars. Alot. It introduced a whole new set of characters from new psiots to an enemy that's gotten to pop up across the board. Each and every one were great additions to the universe. Armor Hunters is a great event and added so much to Aric's story. If you're willing to give AvX of all things a pass then you set the bar pretty low. Seriously though, Armor Hunters and Harbinger Wars are pretty great.

Divinity has a bunch of potential and was a great read except for what I consider a minor stumble right at the end. I'm super excited for the second volume come April.

Oh and don't worry about having a negative opinion. As long as you're down for discussion and not be dickish, it's all good.
    That's great to hear! Yeah, I'm very excited to binge Harbinger over the next week, including Harbinger Wars. Armor Hunters will have to wait for awhile (everything is so expensive in Canada right now with this economy!) Harbinger Wars sounds like the real deal. And I expected a lot of either Big Two hate or indifference coming in here. You see that a lot on Image boards too. I just love comics, and I don't have any "allegiances", though Marvel currently has the most titles on my pull. I'm sure Valiant could have more, but they clearly care about keeping their number or titles at a point where they can ensure every (or almost every) title is a quality book, and I respect that.

As for AvX, many people dislike it, but it was the first event I ever read, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but I like it. I also really enjoyed Fear Itself, and most loathe it, but it had most of the staples I want in an event. Can't wait to discuss Harbinger...I feel I'll want to get Imperium immediately after. And though certain review sites say otherwise, I'm actually really pumped for Bleeding Monk #0. I want to know what's up with that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by askyla View Post
    That's great to hear! Yeah, I'm very excited to binge Harbinger over the next week, including Harbinger Wars. Armor Hunters will have to wait for awhile (everything is so expensive in Canada right now with this economy!) Harbinger Wars sounds like the real deal. And I expected a lot of either Big Two hate or indifference coming in here. You see that a lot on Image boards too. I just love comics, and I don't have any "allegiances", though Marvel currently has the most titles on my pull. I'm sure Valiant could have more, but they clearly care about keeping their number or titles at a point where they can ensure every (or almost every) title is a quality book, and I respect that.

As for AvX, many people dislike it, but it was the first event I ever read, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but I like it. I also really enjoyed Fear Itself, and most loathe it, but it had most of the staples I want in an event. Can't wait to discuss Harbinger...I feel I'll want to get Imperium immediately after. And though certain review sites say otherwise, I'm actually really pumped for Bleeding Monk #0. I want to know what's up with that guy.
    For me the last arc of Harbinger going into Omegas all the way through Imperium are my favorite comics. I got that feeling where the writer hits there stride and the momentum of the story just swept me away.

The bleeding monk comment surprises me. I loved it and heard nothing but good things from other people.

So does anyone know what's up with the artists at Valiant? Clay Mann was "Valiant Exclusive" but is working on the Poison Ivy and now Rafa Sandoval coming in to do Green Lantern. I love their work and looking for a little reassurance that they're not done with VEI.

Is Mann actively working on Poison Ivy? It may be a project that was done a few years ago and archived. Just speculating.

I'm genuinely interested to hear the consensus on Valiant event books in this group. From what I've read, they seem to be much weaker than the solo series. I read that first trade of Ninjak I got, and I loved it-almost as much as Bloodshot Reborn. The Lost Files were brilliant and helped to develop his character to where he is now, and the current storyline had fantastic art, pacing and...well, just about everything I expected out of a comic with a bad@ss ninja on the cover. (Thought the design of the Shadow Seven character on the 6th issue...Why must his helmet look like that!? Is it a callback?) So from reading Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, and a little bit of Harbinger (I get the deluxes shipped tomorrow!) I've found them far more satisfying than The Valiant and Book of Death.

The Valiant felt less like an event, and more like a personal tale of the Eternal Warrior and Kay, which later included Bloodshot. I liked how it set up Bloodshot's arc, but it ultimately didn't feel like a very deep story. That's alright, neither was Avengers VS X-Men, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But then Book of Death, while I suppose it was a sequel, felt like retreading old ground. While neither had a complex villain, I thought the Immortal Enemy had a fantastic design. However, Master Darque, while looking good, didn't do much except torture that poor boy. The action scenes themselves were pretty weak-you'd think if he could control the Earth, he could come up with something more visually appealing than bugs and dead animals. Even if he twisted the animals to appear mythological-being a perversion of their true identities (and simultaneously looking more visually appealing), I would have been happy. Yet they're both getting critically praised. Am I missing something?

Now, I'm excited to try the one shots that came out of Book of Death. Those look really cool. But the event itself felt so weak. I go into an event expecting lasting change, or moments that change a universe and its inhabitants-that open up many different avenues for different storytelling. This one didn't affect many, other than Gilead. In comparison to, say, Secret Wars, I feel that SW was far more entrancing.

I do believe that Valiant is putting out some amazing stuff, but the events aren't doing it for me. No matter how hard I try to tell myself I loved them, I just...Don't. How is Divinity? The concept seems cool, as does Armor Hunters (but I decided I will work my way up to that one after reading the preceding X-O Manowar issues.)

Sorry for the wall of text, but I've been thinking about this all day, and would love to hear some different opinions!
    To some extend I agree with you. Neither The Valiant nor Book of Death felt really epic anf event-y. However, I really liked The Valiant for what it was. On the other hand Book of Death was a bit of a let down for me, although I still find it better than the average output of the big two. Also I liked the tie-ins of Book of Death more than the main event, especially, Harbinger and X-O Manowar. I suggest to read Armor Hunters, as it is more epic than the other two events, and the tie-ins really help to convey that.

Generally on the Valiant events, I like how they are set up. They are not about the epicness, but about bringing together characters from differenct parts of their universe. I also like how they use them as platforms to launch new series.

For me the last arc of Harbinger going into Omegas all the way through Imperium are my favorite comics. I got that feeling where the writer hits there stride and the momentum of the story just swept me away.

The bleeding monk comment surprises me. I loved it and heard nothing but good things from other people.

I've read a few reviews that stated that it didn't add much to the story, but I'm glad to hear it was well received here. I'm hyped for tonight! I'll try and get a little reading in.

I'm also glad to see that Armor Hunters was universally praised. I'll comment on it when I eventually can read it. (I also enjoy that Valiant uses these events to launch new series, but maybe I'm greedy and want them to launch more than one. I want more Valiant books!)

In terms of artists, I was actually looking up the issue of Clay Mann last night. Newsarama mentioned that he's now DC exclusive. I hope it works well for him, but it's a shame he probably won't be back on Ninjak now. He was probably my favourite artist at Valiant. Gave me a real Oliver Coipel vibe.

On a side note, maybe this is a Canadian thing, but Valiant is extremely rare here. I just added their titles to my pull this week, so they hadn't put anything aside for me, and X-O Manowar was already sold out Wednesday night. I went to another shop, and all they had was one copy left, and only a "Cover B". Is this common? I thought there were more people into Valiant than these numbers indicate, because these shops usually overstock. (For reference, I'm in Toronto, which is by no means a small population.) It's something to wonder. Hopefully they'll be able to stash the goods away in my pull now.

(I also enjoy that Valiant uses these events to launch new series, but maybe I'm greedy and want them to launch more than one. I want more Valiant books!)
    Then you jumped on just at the right time, as you now get to salivate with the rest of us as we await more details on Britannia and The Savage.
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!
    4001 AD / Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot Reborn / Divinity / Faith / Imperium / Ninjak / Rai / Wrath of the Eternal Warrior / X-O Manowar

Just finished X-O #44. This arc has been pretty solid for me through two issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Then you jumped on just at the right time, as you now get to salivate with the rest of us as we await more details on Britannia and The Savage.
    Interesting! Have any details been released yet?

In terms of artists, I was actually looking up the issue of Clay Mann last night. Newsarama mentioned that he's now DC exclusive.
    Do you have a link to this?

Do you have a link to this?
    Here's the link.

http://www.newsarama.com/26790-clay-...vy-series.html

Looks like I made a mistake- he didn't say he was exclusive in this. It only says that on his Wikipedia page, which isn't the most trust worthy. My mistake! But I do wish he'd come back to Valiant.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Just finished X-O #44. This arc has been pretty solid for me through two issues.
    Finally got to X-O 44 as well. This arc has delivered for me too. I'm anxiously awaiting Trill's big move, although I don't know what it'll be. I hope the Trill vs Aric battle is awesome.

That, and I can't see the Vine colony being allowed to stay on earth. (Which might not go too well with Aric....)

Looking forward to #45!

Here's the link.

http://www.newsarama.com/26790-clay-...vy-series.html

Looks like I made a mistake- he didn't say he was exclusive in this. It only says that on his Wikipedia page, which isn't the most trust worthy. My mistake! But I do wish he'd come back to Valiant.
    Yeah hopefully he'll be back. I would love to see him on the psiot side of Valiant.

Also Rafa Sandoval.

Interesting! Have any details been released yet?
    Very little, pretty much just mentions on Twitter.
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!
    4001 AD / Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot Reborn / Divinity / Faith / Imperium / Ninjak / Rai / Wrath of the Eternal Warrior / X-O Manowar