Page 277 of 286 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 4278

I am thinking about getting into Valiant comics and was wondering how "new reader friendly" they are. Will I need to do a lot of back issue reading or will I be okay just jumping in? Thanks in advance for any info and/or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Dude me neither. It's been really sad getting a lot of info on Whedon's projects (which have largely fell to the back of my mind), and getting absolutely nothing from Valiant. I was hoping for one or two fairly big announcements. Like Dysart's next project, the future of 4001/Rai, or maybe the next arc for Faith to wash out the bad taste of the #5 announcement,
    To be fair, we do know what's coming up into the fall. Just surprised we haven't heard more about post-4001 (event, not year...but, come on, realistically it's gotta be 4002 by now), especially considering these guys love to shout things from the rooftops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I am thinking about getting into Valiant comics and was wondering how "new reader friendly" they are. Will I need to do a lot of back issue reading or will I be okay just jumping in? Thanks in advance for any info and/or suggestions.
    I will let others give you the new readers guide because they're much better at it. But I'd say you should probably not jump right in cold. The first volumes of each series are $10, and each of the launch titles (X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong) give a different flavor to the universe. You should prob look up which interests you most and take a chance on that one. (Although there are a couple new series starting over the summer that will spin off Harbinger, so if you want to follow along month-to-month, that may be the one to start with.)

This weekend I read ANALOG MAN and it was a fun future romp, nothing more. Just a segue to BLOODSHOT ISLAND, really. But seeds were still sowed. Possibilities projected. My intelligence wasn't insulted. And the artwork was lush. I also dig the continued peppering of characters in the books. The Bloodshot book contained Ninjak, Shadowman, Shadowmen, and X-O police. The last Ninjak volume DEADSIDE had Punk Mambo and Shadowman. The next Ninjak volume FIST & STEEL guest stars The Eternal Warrior. Fun stuff.

I also read UNITY #0. A flashback to the first UNITY squad during WWI, UNIT-Y. Great art by Cary Nord. More of an Eternal Warrior story but fun stuff. Valiant continues to hit my spots.

Hey welcome to the Valiant boards.

They make it a point to be new reader friendly whether it's jumping into a crossover/event or a new storyline. My opinion is to recommend starting from the beginning and seeing as how the books are only a few years old, they not nearly as daunting as anything from the Big 2. Of course that's just me and there have been plenty of newer fans that have been leap frogging around the different series and haven't felt lost. You're good either way.

Are you interested in Valiant as a whole or has a specific character/book caught your eye?

Quote Originally Posted by kinggirlfriend View Post
    This weekend I read ANALOG MAN and it was a fun future romp, nothing more. Just a segue to BLOODSHOT ISLAND, really. But seeds were still sowed. Possibilities projected. My intelligence wasn't insulted. And the artwork was lush. I also dig the continued peppering of characters in the books. The Bloodshot book contained Ninjak, Shadowman, Shadowmen, and X-O police. The last Ninjak volume DEADSIDE had Punk Mambo and Shadowman. The next Ninjak volume FIST & STEEL guest stars The Eternal Warrior. Fun stuff.

I also read UNITY #0. A flashback to the first UNITY squad during WWI, UNIT-Y. Great art by Cary Nord. More of an Eternal Warrior story but fun stuff. Valiant continues to hit my spots.
    Have you gotten to your Armor Hunters yet? Venditti was top form and of course Braithwaite's art was superb. Both X-O and Livewire shined in that story.

I read the first 2 issues of ARMOR HUNTERS then some real life drama happened and I got derailed. I want to give it it's proper do so I read ANALOG MAN since it's mostly action and fluff. Awesome fluff.

Hey Lindsey. We all love new readers. A lot depends on what you are interested in? Hard and serious, violent, or light and funny? Some books are very easy to pick up and some are not.

Faith just released the first issue of the new series and collected editions of Dr. Mirage are easily had at a good price. You could pick up Ninjak at the start of any story arc and fall into it without much problem. Bloodshot Reborn would be a series to pick up from the start simply based on how good an action comic story it has been. Something like Imperium however is deep with political overtones and outright Machiavellian plotting and you would need to go back to Harbinger Wars collected, followed by Omegas, and then into the series to see how the madness came about. The events for Valiant comics are some of the best in the industry and each one is easy to pick up and read on its own. It's like they make them as a jumping on point. Harbinger Wars and Armor Hunters in particular are fantastic and should make the big two blush. I am not the guy to ask on Archer and Armstrong, Quantum and Woody, or X-O Man of War.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

I read the first 2 issues of ARMOR HUNTERS then some real life drama happened and I got derailed. I want to give it it's proper do so I read ANALOG MAN since it's mostly action and fluff. Awesome fluff.
    Oh that sucks, I hope everything's alright.

I hope when you do start it, not to leave out the X-O issues. They flesh out the Armor Hunters and it really adds depth to the whole event.

1. In my opinion, you can jump in anywhere you please, and now is kind of the perfect time due to the Future of Valiant stuff that's going on. I'm not gonna go into detail because I'd just be parroting the solicits in the link, but I'm pretty hyped for all of them. If you wanna jump into the current stuff asap, start with Faith 1, Ninjak 18, Bloodshot Reborn 14, X-O Manowar 47, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 5 or 7, A&A 1, or 4001 AD 1.

2. If you're more interested in starting from the beginning of the universe, start with one of the four original launch titles, X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, or Archer & Armstrong. All 4 show off the strengths and varied nature of Valiant's publishing line.

3. Just tell us what type of superheroes you're into, and there's bound to be a good book out there for you to start with.

4. Here's a list of must-reads, in chronological order, if you just wanna jump in head-first. All of these are $10 regular price, except for the events.
    X-O Manowar Vol. 1- By The Sword
    Harbinger Vol. 1- Omega Rising
    Archer & Armstrong Vol. 1- The Michelangelo Code
    Harbinger Wars (Bloodshot and Harbinger epic crossover)
    Quantum & Woody Vol. 1- World's Worst Superhero Team
    Unity Vol. 1- To Kill a King (Valiant's premier super-team)
    Rai Vol. 1- Welcome to New Japan
    Armor Hunters (line-wide event that spins out of X-O Manowar. Ties into X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, and Unity)
    The Valiant ("self-contained" event starring Bloodshot, the Eternal Warrior, the Geomancer, and literally everyone else)
    Ninjak Vol. 1- Weaponeer
    Bloodshot Reborn Vol. 1- Colorado
    Divinity
    Book of Death (major event starring the Eternal Warrior and Unity)
    Faith Vol. 1- Hollywood and Vine

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with information... I hope this helped a little bit. It's a pretty fantastic universe.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-26-2016 at 01:53 AM.
    Valiant- Faith / Generation Zero / 4001 AD / Rai / Divinity / Ninjak / Bloodshot Reborn / Wrath of the Eternal Warrior / X-O Manowar
    ---Eagerly Awaiting: Brittania / Bloodshot USA / Harbinger: Renegades / Savage / Divinity III

DC- All-Star Batman / Batman / Action Comics / Wonder Woman / Hal Jordan / Green Arrow / Titans / Suicide Squad?
    Other- Buffy: Season 10/11 / Buffy: The High School Years / Street Fighter Unlimited / Animosity / The Walking Dead

I mainly read Marvel due to having Marvel Unlimited since it's such a great deal for the amount of books available and the heroes that I like most are Ms. Marvel, Captain America, Hope Summers, X-23, Spider-Girl, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Runaways and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Honestly I am not sure what would really interest me other than Faith, that's the only one I know I want to try. Other than that I am open to try most of them. My main concern is getting into a book/books and not understanding whats happening.

Thanks again for the info and anymore advice is welcome and appreciated.
    Last edited by Lindsey; 07-26-2016 at 08:16 AM.

I mainly read Marvel due to having Marvel Unlimited since it's such a great deal for the amount of books available and the heroes that I like most are Ms. Marvel, Captain America, Hope Summers, X-23, Spider-Girl, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Runaways and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Honestly I am not sure what would really interest me other than Faith, that's the only one I know I want to try. Other than that I am open to try most of them. My main concern is getting into a book/books and not understanding whats happening.

Well on some level, unless you want to start at the beginning, you're just gonna have to accept that you might not understand everything about a character or the universe. With that being said, you can jump into pretty much any book and have a pretty good understanding of everything you need to know about the series without going back and reading every single back-issue.
    Now, when it comes to your examples of heroes that you like, I'd say that you should check out Faith, Generation Zero (coming in August), and Harbinger. Other than that, I think you're best bet is to pick one (or more) of the series that I listed that look interesting and start from there.
    Valiant- Faith / Generation Zero / 4001 AD / Rai / Divinity / Ninjak / Bloodshot Reborn / Wrath of the Eternal Warrior / X-O Manowar
    ---Eagerly Awaiting: Brittania / Bloodshot USA / Harbinger: Renegades / Savage / Divinity III

DC- All-Star Batman / Batman / Action Comics / Wonder Woman / Hal Jordan / Green Arrow / Titans / Suicide Squad?
    Other- Buffy: Season 10/11 / Buffy: The High School Years / Street Fighter Unlimited / Animosity / The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Oh that sucks, I hope everything's alright.

I hope when you do start it, not to leave out the X-O issues. They flesh out the Armor Hunters and it really adds depth to the whole event.
    Ah yeah I want to get that X-O issue too, thanks for the reminder!

Yeah I'm ok, I guess thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate it. Relationships stuff. Losing my marbles. I think someone said "she" earlier but naw, I'm a dude, dudes. And I got women problems. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I think. If I squint real hard I think I see a beam of light. I can't focus on comics when life is like this. Ugh, first world problems.

Yeah I'm ok, I guess thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate it. Relationships stuff. Losing my marbles. I think someone said "she" earlier but naw, I'm a dude, dudes. And I got women problems. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I think. If I squint real hard I think I see a beam of light. I can't focus on comics when life is like this. Ugh, first world problems.
    Girl friend problems are universal. Even for space aliens, well at least our comics tell us so...
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Hey-o another Hope fan! Love her story. Strictly going off of what you listed then I have a couple of suggestions.

Harbinger I would highly recommend since you like X-23 and Runaways. The main cast are a group of kids who are all broken in different ways. Of course they have Faith and when she's introduced she shines. The way her character is crafted and you see the tragedy that's shaped her, I feel that makes her all the more brighter. Although this book can be heavy at times and doesn't hold back on showing the grey areas, whether it's the darker side of the "heroes" or the more nobler side of the "villains". It's not a clear cut of good vs evil and the writing respects the reader enough to let us decide. It's my favorite series if you couldn't already tell.

Ninjak would be another series seeing as how you listed Daredevil and Iron Fist. I always like to describe Ninjak as a guy with the skills and gadgets of Batman wrapped in a snarky personality of Namor. Full of espionage, action, and an introduction some colorful and cool characters. Especially the new villain Roku. From the very first issue you can tell how much of a bad ass she is.

My brain isn't really firing on all cylinders otherwise I would have given you a longer more thorough list. So I'll do a quick and simple break down.

PHASE I BOOKS
    Archer & Armstrong - Action, adventure, satirical comedy of a kid(Archer) raised in a religious cult who has mastered all fighting styles who's huntin an immortal(Armstrong) that's all about the decadence. Later teaming up for run of awesome and sometimes wacky adventures. Don't be fooled by the light fun. The author is great at fleshing out these characters and lays the groundwork for larger story.

X-0 - Man out of time story that's a consistently good read. A warrior from the past kidnapped and enslaved by an alien race only to rise up, take their most powerful weapon and defeat them. Only to discover everything he knew from hundreds of years ago are gone. Watching his growth from angry warrior, to king, to a thoughtful protector of earth is a long a fulfilling journey.

Bloodshot - Action oriented series featuring a supersoldier manipulated by a powerful military contractor into committing horrible acts finally breaks free and sets out to find who and what he is. This series all the way through to Bloodshot Reborn goes through whole evolution. He's alot like X-23 where he's treated like a machine and nothing else but the personality that lines up more with Logan.

Unity - It's the first team book and has characters from across the Valiant universe. First brought together by Harada who is the antagonist of Harbinger, to fight X-O when he comes to earth. The first Volume is one of the best stories I've ever read and stands on it's own very well. Even with it's diverse cast the writer breaks everything down so it's incredibly new reader friendly.

There's also Shadowman which a covers the mystical side of Valiant. An enjoyable book but comes with some problems when a new team and direction occur halfway through it's run.

Quantum & Woody is a comedy series that's super slapstick. I enjoyed but it's an acquired taste.

Rai - Is an ongoing Sci Fi/Cybepunk series set in the future 4001AD. Japan is an island that floats above earth and has reached a level close to any utopia. It is run by Father who has anointed Rai as its sole protector. But everything is not as it seems when the first murder in a century occurs and Rai finds that beneath the shiny veneer is a dark and bloody storm that could destroy everything that Father has built. Very cool series and Clayton Crain who you might know from X-23's stint in X-Force does the beautifully awesome artwork for this series.

Okay that's it for me. I'll try to get to the Phase II stuff unless someone beats me to it or something. I have a reading list in my signature so if you have any problems just click or ask away. These are some really cool books and I hope you have as much fun as we did.

I hear ya. Whenever I was in that place I wouldn't be able to focus on comics but for different reasons. My friends would keep me busy and out of my head which is where all the real trouble can happen. Bleh letting stuff stew is always a disaster for me. Of course "keeping busy" usually results in a massive hangover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    Girl friend problems are universal. Even for space aliens, well at least our comics tell us so...
    LOL