Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - May 21, 2014

Brett relives the events surrounding the release of the first X-Men film, and the time James Marsden walked him and his mother to Blockbuster Music.

Full article here.

Default Ah the old days

I remember seeing X-Men and getting that comic book that was only available opening night. I also remember standing in line for Batman (Tim Burton's ones) and even seeing Swamp Thing in a small theater years ago plus Superman II at a drive-in (and sadly Superman III at a regular theater...geez was that a let down...at least I didn't pay to see the 4th Batman movie, actually I've yet to make it through that one).

Yeah, I'm old.

The days after X-Men came out the 'nerd reaction' was strong. Most I knew loved it but one guy kept on about Wolverine & Cyclops joking about yellow spandex and saying how it WAS needed. Thank goodness he was in the minority.

We sure do have it nice today. Captain America last month, Spider-Man and X-Men this month, Guardians of the Galaxy in August, Avengers next year, Batman v Superman in 2016, etc. So many to watch...my poor budget.

James sounds like such an lovely guy, in fact most of the X-Men cast come across pretty well. I recall loving X-Men at the Cinema, having only seen the odd comic of X-Men and Spidey before, and then Marvel being so wonderful as to release X-Men Evolution shortly afterwards which felt close enough to the film to feel like it was carrying on the story, plus it introduced me to two characters quite different to their comic counterparts - Kitty Pryde's valley girl and the teenaged cool blue dude Kurt Wagner - yet those takes made me come to love those characters to this day.

I feel so lucky these days in how much stuff we get from Warner, Marvel, Sony and Fox these days. I mean next year from the MCU alone there'll be Avengers 2, Ant Man, Season 2 of AOS, Agent Carter, a 13 PART DAREDEVIL SERIES ON NETFLIX, YAY! and all the other Netflix shows. Lovely stuff.

Nice article. Amazing experience, meeting James Marsden in a mall like that. It's hard to imagine for most kids these days, but there was a time when superhero movies were not taken seriously at all. We can thank Joel Shumacher for that. I still remember how so many were skeptical that an X-men movie could be a success. Personally, I hated the movie because of what it did to Rogue. I also hated how little development Storm got and how that phony accent was so un-Storm like. In fact, to date I haven't seen a single X-men movie that I've liked. Every one of them has been progressively worse it seems. And as much as I respect James Marsden, he was the worst choice for Cyclops because he always gets typecasted as a pretty boy who either gets killed off or loses the girl. He should never have played Cyclops. Ever. But I don't deny the impact of the first X-men movie and how it set the stage for the current era we're in now. I still have no hope for the X-men movies as long as Bryan Singer continues to use them as a way of exercising his man-crush on Wolverine. But it dos have its own place in comic book history.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

When I saw the first X-Men film, I felt like something important had just happened. I had no idea just how right I was.