Page 545 of 553 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 8291
  1. #8161
    Spectacular Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Now, if Olivia doesn't come back as Psylocke and they do recast her. I think Sonoya Mizuno has a very interesting look, and is a classically trained ballet dancer. She has also taken some sword training in the past. She is also from the UK...

    So she'd be an alternative if they recast Olivia.

  2. #8162
    Spectacular Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    About her powers:

    She clearly has pink energy katanas that are told to us to be mental projections of telekinetic force.

    1. Do those projections project light?
    2. Does Betsy ever get precognitive visions anymore?
    3. Does she teleport through shadows at all?
    1. Yes they project light, she has used them to light a sewer before.
    2. I believe she still does but it's up to the writer to remember this was originally her powerset. Normally it's a very vague premonition.
    3. No, this ability left when her Tattoo disappeared.

  3. #8163
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    1. Yes they project light, she has used them to light a sewer before.
    Claremont's issue of Wolverine, wherein Psylocke and other X-Women were brainwashed by Viper? Was that the last, or only, time that effect manifested?

  4. #8164
    Spectacular Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Claremont's issue of Wolverine, wherein Psylocke and other X-Women were brainwashed by Viper? Was that the last, or only, time that effect manifested?
    Uncanny X-Force Psylocke and the team are in the sewers perusing Bishop.
    psysewer.jpg

  5. #8165
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Ah excellent, thank you

  6. #8166
    Spectacular Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Ah excellent, thank you
    Absolutely

  7. #8167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Now, if Olivia doesn't come back as Psylocke and they do recast her. I think Sonoya Mizuno has a very interesting look, and is a classically trained ballet dancer. She has also taken some sword training in the past. She is also from the UK...

    So she'd be an alternative if they recast Olivia.
    Great choice! She looks and sounds great! Don't know if she can act but physically she really looks like a young Psylocke!

  8. #8168

    Default

    I think Olivia did a good job with what she had, like most of you said. She has the right look and presence, she just needs a bigger role in order for us to really determine how she portrays Psylocke. The thing that frustrates me is that really just one or two meaty scenes from each of the Horseman would've let us get a sense of their personalities. Why did they choose for her scenes to be with Caliban where he did most of the talking? It was an odd choice but I still liked the movie

  9. #8169
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    I'm curious whether there's a vocal faction among Psylocke CBR fans, that engages with the notion that Psylocke's bodyswap with Kwannon --and subsequent adoption of Asian motifs and themes --is cultural appropriation. I realize this is superhero comics, but her history is convoluted and fraught with strange creative and editorial choices. Certainly not asking for a conversation among and between defensive positions, but I am curious about the opinions of those that consider and promote Psylocke's appearances in media.

  10. #8170
    Spectacular Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'm curious whether there's a vocal faction among Psylocke CBR fans, that engages with the notion that Psylocke's bodyswap with Kwannon --and subsequent adoption of Asian motifs and themes --is cultural appropriation. I realize this is superhero comics, but her history is convoluted and fraught with strange creative and editorial choices. Certainly not asking for a conversation among and between defensive positions, but I am curious about the opinions of those that consider and promote Psylocke's appearances in media.
    The simple answer to your question is: Yes, there is a large faction of Psylocke CBR fans that engage in the notion that Psylocke's bodyswap and subsequent "adoption" of Asian motifs and themes are cultural appropriation. There is a large faction that sees the character as walking Imperialism.

    I would classify myself as a 'young' fan, because I came into comics, and I was introduced to Psylocke already in Kwannon's body. I didn't learn about her history until later, and when I did I was still young. I simply did not see it as political as it is today. I nearly tied it to 'science fiction'. I had seen countless cartoons, read many books, etc where brains and bodies were switched. It wasn't a wild concept for me.

    What I find troubling is that I would have a very hard time if Betsy was to revert to a Caucasian body. I am a person of color, and I gravitated to Betsy as a person of color, before I realized she wasn't. If she were to revert to her British body, and was still an incredible martial artist using a Japanese blade as her weapon of choice...I think I would find that more troubling.

    I've spoken to Asian friends of mine, and they also don't know how to feel about Psylocke. They love Psylocke, but when asked about the whole body swap and the deeper implications of that they seem to have a hard time articulating their feelings.

    Edit: Also, if you skim through this thread, you'll find plenty on this topic. It gets brought up every 5-10 pages or so.
    Last edited by PsionicHero; 01-05-2018 at 12:37 PM.

  11. #8171
    Extraordinary Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    The simple answer to your question is: Yes, there is a large faction of Psylocke CBR fans that engage in the notion that Psylocke's bodyswap and subsequent "adoption" of Asian motifs and themes are cultural appropriation. There is a large faction that sees the character as walking Imperialism.

    I would classify myself as a 'young' fan, because I came into comics, and I was introduced to Psylocke already in Kwannon's body. I didn't learn about her history until later, and when I did I was still young. I simply did not see it as political as it is today. I nearly tied it to 'science fiction'. I had seen countless cartoons, read many books, etc where brains and bodies were switched. It wasn't a wild concept for me.

    What I find troubling is that I would have a very hard time if Betsy was to revert to a Caucasian body. I am a person of color, and I gravitated to Betsy as a person of color, before I realized she wasn't. If she were to revert to her British body, and was still an incredible martial artist using a Japanese blade as her weapon of choice...I think I would find that more troubling.

    I've spoken to Asian friends of mine, and they also don't know how to feel about Psylocke. They love Psylocke, but when asked about the whole body swap and the deeper implications of that they seem to have a hard time articulating their feelings.
    I have a harder time with the concept of cultural appropriation period. I just don't get the idea that you have to BE X to be allowed to ENJOY/DO X (IE, not long ago there was a minor uproar over non-blacks wearing dreadlocks as "appropriation" even though plenty of non-black cultures IE Celts and some Jewish sects traditionally wore them, as well). Especially because I grew up on the idea of America as a cultural melting pot where the entire POINT is for people of different cultures to share and mix their cultural practices (hell, the entire Western Christmas is one big bundle of appropriation from various pagan ESPECIALLY Germano-Norse religions).
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.


    Pull List
    AN Wolverine X-Men Red

  12. #8172
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Exactly the thoughtfulness I was hoping for. As for me, I'm a white male whose first issue of X-Men contained the original Hong Kong storyline. The story itself was weird and drawn for young boys, so I was hooked. Psylocke was a badass when badasses were appealing, and she quickly became among my favorite characters. When Revanche was introduced a few years later, I questioned my tastes given the quality of the resolution. X-Men fell off my radar, and I participate in these forums mostly to engage with the tangled knots some characters end up becoming, ie Donna Troy, Hawkman. Threads requesting retcon suggestions are my catnip. There's a few persons that would like to see Psylocke retconned back to her original British appearance. I'm curious to more legitimate fans' thoughts regarding such a move.

    Psylocke is an extremely special case, as she didn't really become popular until after the Asian change... and even then, it was a hefty helping of intentional male gaze to contributed to it. I have to say I moved on from X-Men comics very soon after Revanche died, so I don't have knowledge of characterization in these last few decades. My opinions of Psylocke is that she's largely redundant in a cast of hundreds. Her most interesting element is her most problematic. What does it FEEL like to be in someone else' body? What does it mean, both personally and politically. It's troubling, because I'd like to see it addressed, and I feel it would give the character some depth, but... it's comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I have a harder time with the concept of cultural appropriation period. I just don't get the idea that you have to BE X to be allowed to ENJOY/DO X (IE, not long ago there was a minor uproar over non-blacks wearing dreadlocks as "appropriation" even though plenty of non-black cultures IE Celts and some Jewish sects traditionally wore them, as well). Especially because I grew up on the idea of America as a cultural melting pot where the entire POINT is for people of different cultures to share and mix their cultural practices (hell, the entire Western Christmas is one big bundle of appropriation from various pagan — ESPECIALLY Germano-Norse — religions).
    How you've described cultural appropriation suggests you don't fully understand the concept. It's not a matter of equality between cultural use of customs, but the exploitation of power, control, and intention, where cultures exist within and alongside others. We could discuss Christmas as a shared cultural experience, but we first need to acknowledge how the idea of Christmas is changed by media, the economy, and hegemony.

    As for Psylocke in particular, I think PsionicHero can address her characterization in terms of Imperialism better than I.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-05-2018 at 12:59 PM.

  13. #8173
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560
    Posts
    4,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Especially because I grew up on the idea of America as a cultural melting pot where the entire POINT is for people of different cultures to share and mix their cultural practices.
    That may have been the point but most other races were looked down upon and didn't have any rights until years and years later.

    The truth is America was built on genocide and slavery. The majority wants the minority to forget this
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.

  14. #8174
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,833

    Default

    To me Nicieza and other writers have addressed that some degree over the years, not the level that some would hope but it's not like it hasn't been touched on, and imho she's come to the conclusion to where she may not have chosen the bodyswap in the beginning she's where she's at now and that's that, to where it's not something that she has any real interest in changing, that she's accepted her current body as her own and moved on...

  15. #8175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Id be really disappointed if shes not even mentioned at all. I mean its her own first niece being born.
    That's why I want the Braddocks to be together again. Sucks they don't even try to Interact. I mean Astonishing is in LONDON right now, and no Captain Britain or Pete Wisdom or Queen Meggan?
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •