Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are movie theaters obsolete?

With the invention of ondemand programming should the studios consider taking all movies direct to consumers via comcast, direct tv, netflix and at&t? It may be problematic over seas with the lack of comcast att and direct tv but netflix is available. What does everyone think?
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

No, the communal audience experience is important. And the visual and sound effects need a big theater system. I wouldn't want my first experience of a movie like The Avengers or Fury Road or something to be on a little screen alone in my room.

Veteran Member

Nope. Unless your home theatre is an actual theatre.

I've never got the concept of sitting around strangers "in someone else's house" eating bad expensive food to enjoy a movie. I haven't been in a theater but one time, District 9 (and that was a reduced price theater) since Star Wars Ep 3. If a movie needs to be on a huge screen with surround sound I don't think that says much for the movie. Like drive ins , though i think they will share the same fate at some point. Till then I'll keep using instant viewing and DVD rental to watch what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    I've never got the concept of sitting around strangers "in someone else's house" eating bad expensive food to enjoy a movie. I haven't been in a theater but one time, District 9 (and that was a reduced price theater) since Star Wars Ep 3. If a movie needs to be on a huge screen with surround sound I don't think that says much for the movie. Like drive ins , though i think they will share the same fate at some point. Till then I'll keep using instant viewing and DVD rental to watch what I want.
    a good movie is a good movie on a big or small screen yes it is true but seeing a movie on a big screen to me is special to me i enjoy it more. going to a movie with friends is not the same as seeing it at home on TV i feel sad you never saw GOTG in IMAX or the dark knight trilogy.

If a movie needs to be on a huge screen with surround sound I don't think that says much for the movie..
    To each their own, of course.

I host movies on campus occasionally, and for me, almost every movie plays better on a huge screen with good volume. Glengarry Glen Ross is insane, big. Manhattan is gorgeous and towering. The Getaway is intense when it's a size you can't look away from without still seeing peripherally.

And, I love watching movies (or anything else) with a receptive audience. You can't steel yourself from scares like you might at home, and even if you know something is coming, it doesn't stop the person next to you from shouting in excitement or sighing in relief. I can't think of any kind of movie I'd want to see more without an audience there of at least one.

Evil Dead may play best on a small, dinky television set, but most movies rock when they're given as big a presentation as possible.

As long as there are people who go on dates, I'm sure movie theaters will be around to overcharge those people for food and a flick. It's a common date idea for people who can't think of something to do for a date. I still recall talk in the 90's about the potential doom of movie theaters, but it hasn't happened yet. Although I'm not a big fan of huge movie theater companies, I still like the drive-in theaters. A lot of them are better priced for movies, and the food is a lot better imo.

The sitting around strangers things sucks hard (I never go during peak hours) and you don't HAVE to get food. I never get food at theaters. Ever. Ever.

A movie might not NEED the sound/huge screen but it definitely makes it cooler.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got to the point that all "smaller" movies would be released in theaters and on demand at the same time. And only the BIG movies (your Avengers, Star Wars, Batman, other blockbusters) got released theater only. The price of theaters would just skyrocket and you would be paying for the experience.
    It is AVENGERS MONTH on my Blog for the upcoming AGE OF ULTRON

The Mind of Shadow- My Blog that has some comic stuff, but also lots of movie, powerlifting, fish, and other random stuff.

If you have a Blog on comics, action movies, aquariums, weightlifting, or anything else I might be interested in, hit me up with a PM so I can check it out.

Veteran Member

There being other people around reacting to the movie is one of the best parts of going to the theatre...as long as they aren't talking loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    There being other people around reacting to the movie is one of the best parts of going to the theatre...as long as they aren't talking loudly.
    I disagree 100%

- teenagers who don't shut up

- people bringing their kids to movies when they are not behaved at all and dont belong in the movie (bringing 4 years olds to a pg13 movie)

- people chewing loudly, getting into bags, rustling pop corn,

- people walking across to get more fodo tos tuff their fat face over and over and over again

- a certain demographic of people overreacting to every single thign that happens on screen

best experience I have had at the movie is the Raid 2... when I was literally the only one in there
    It is AVENGERS MONTH on my Blog for the upcoming AGE OF ULTRON

The Mind of Shadow- My Blog that has some comic stuff, but also lots of movie, powerlifting, fish, and other random stuff.

If you have a Blog on comics, action movies, aquariums, weightlifting, or anything else I might be interested in, hit me up with a PM so I can check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I disagree 100%

- teenagers who don't shut up

- people bringing their kids to movies when they are not behaved at all and dont belong in the movie (bringing 4 years olds to a pg13 movie)

- people chewing loudly, getting into bags, rustling pop corn,

- people walking across to get more fodo tos tuff their fat face over and over and over again

- a certain demographic of people overreacting to every single thign that happens on screen

best experience I have had at the movie is the Raid 2... when I was literally the only one in there
    See, to me, that's just part of the fun. But, I dunno, I like people. I like hearing kids enjoy themselves. I feel happy for the couple two rows behind me who spend the movie with their hands down each other's pants. Hopefully those two groups aren't at the same movie, or there's some distance between them, but I like people to have a good time.

Nightmare on Elm St 5 will never be as good as it was when I was a kid in a theater I shouldn't have been "allowed" in. The last King Kong remake will never be as good as it was when I saw it in the theater and there was a group of kids that had been babysat by the movie all day to the point where they could stand up and act out whole scenes as they went on, on the screen. I miss midnight movies at the Laemmle Theatre in LA because of booze, loudness, the very real chance you could hook up with someone cool in the middle of the movie...

It just comes down to the kind of person you are, to what you want out of a movie-watching experience, though. Hopefully you can time your theater-going so it's a small crowd or no crowd.

sometimes you just want to get out of the house and do something fun with your friends. as long as people continue get "cabin fever" places like colosseums, restaurants, and theaters will continue to exist.

Lightbulb

That has always been a good question, as technology progresses will it make Movie Theaters obsolute as they did to the Video Store?

Well honestly as much as it might seem things might go that way I believe no it will not.

The main reason being it the human need to Commune with other people, even strangers, to have an event that gathers use together to experience something we all want to experience together. So far as far as technology has gone, that aspect is hard to replace even with skype, text & with this instant movies on-demand. Really it is not ever CLOSE to the same experience seeing a movie in a room even with the best home set-up as seeing it with others. It makes the moment into an event.

Now to each their own & since the dawn of the theater it has been some like it & others don't, but I find it the same way as Concerts or Plays. Yea things will change, but they will always exists in a form, it just needs to evolve to find ways to survive in a changing world of tech.

So Yea, it is like concerts IMO, you can download a song faster they light now, but it is not the same when experiencing it with 1,000's of others in a Big Stadium hearing the crowd & level of the Band! The same is with movies, it is a sense of grandness and community, something we as Humans crave weather we know it or not.
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at:

The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

http://community.comicbookresources....h-Appreciation

Veteran Member

Well if you take the meaning that something obsolete is no longer useful, then I don't agree. Movie theatres are still useful, the problem might be that they're no longer profitable. This seems to be the problem these days in several areas of life. There are a lot of things that are still useful, but they're not available as before because they're not profitable to remain a going concern.

For example, a shoemaker is still useful. But if it costs just as much to buy new shoes as have the old ones repaired, then shoemakers go out of business, because they can't turn a profit. But it would probably be better if we kept shoemakers in business, because we would create less waste.

I do see movie theatres going out of business in my city and it's a terrible shame. We used to have several community movie theatres--and all but one is gone. Now we are detached from our communities and seem to have more attachment to the communities on our phones. This creates a disinterest in what happens locally--there's less social interaction in real space, less concern for the local environment and economy.

Newbie Member

I'd go more often if most of the movies I want to see didn't require me to put on those awful glasses. I don't know if they'll ever be obsolete, but they're fast becoming obsolete to me.