Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    There being other people around reacting to the movie is one of the best parts of going to the theatre...as long as they aren't talking loudly.
    This. I don't mind other people around me as long as hey don't get so loud that I miss a line (or two or three) of dialogue. That's enough to ruin the benefit of having a super-big screen and great sound effects.
    OPINION: Noun: O-pi-nion
    The belief in the ratio of the circumference of an aromatic bulb the essence of which can make people cry tears of sadness or outrage. Most commonly found in boiling substances when not hidden underground.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    With the invention of ondemand programming should the studios consider taking all movies direct to consumers via comcast, direct tv, netflix and at&t? It may be problematic over seas with the lack of comcast att and direct tv but netflix is available. What does everyone think?
    For the ordinary movie, yes. For certain movies like the MCU movies and the upcoming Star Wars, no, you need the size of the movie screen, the audio and the crowd experience. I say that though I generally dislike having to go out and go through all the driving and other stuff and generally prefer to sit comfortably at home for a movie.

It may come to a point where good copies and streaming of all movies are available on their release date and readily available to most people. At that point, theaters are not going to sustain themselves on just the movies that demand to be seen on the big screen. A local theater already closed up rather than affording the price of the switch to digital. They've fallen back on having 15 minutes of commercials before the movie starts. Drive-in theaters faded long ago.

There may come a day when you'll have Imax but the run of the mill neighborhood theater will be obsolete.

I don't know where the maximum profit lies for movie companies. That will be what makes the decision.

What are "ordinary" movies? Because I can think of a lot of smaller movies that are better directed, and would be better on the big screen, than many Marvel movies.

Rookie Member

Of course not. It's a social experience for many people. Sharing in the delight with strangers is rewarding. Plus there's the ritual involved in buying snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It may come to a point where good copies and streaming of all movies are available on their release date and readily available to most people. At that point, theaters are not going to sustain themselves on just the movies that demand to be seen on the big screen. A local theater already closed up rather than affording the price of the switch to digital. They've fallen back on having 15 minutes of commercials before the movie starts. Drive-in theaters faded long ago.

There may come a day when you'll have Imax but the run of the mill neighborhood theater will be obsolete.

I don't know where the maximum profit lies for movie companies. That will be what makes the decision.
    The tradition of going to the movie theater has been on the decline for decades. I've been posting here for a long time about how viewing habits have changed for the worse and how the theater model is broken and close to being obsolete. The economics of the current trend cannot sustain itself. Big budget blockbusters (MCU, DC and other action franchises like Mad Max) may continue to thrive but for how long? Cinema may become so specialized that the only audience may be the IMAX, 10 channel surround, big budget spectacle niche market. Everyone else will stay at home and stream their entertainment on their own 4K screen. Theater companies have been experimenting with 3D, '4D immersive experience' gimmicks to anticipate the future. The cost of producing & distributing those high budget flicks may soon overwhelm the profit margins from box office take.

I won't miss the cell phones, loud rude talking/yelling and the 15-20 minute ads & trailers (all byproducts of the last 10-15 yrs). I will miss the communal excitement of a premiere and the audience reactions to a film which make it part of the experience. Kids are missing out if they think yelling, talking over the dialogue while playing with their tablets/phones and only looking up at the screen occasionally equals the movie experience for them. If you are a parent and never take your kid to the cinema to actually watch a film, then not only are they missing out on an experience but you are probably contributing to the culture of ADHD dismissiveness that occludes anything productive or worthwhile.

Veteran Member

Once they work out the technology, I think that theatrical interactive gaming movies will be quite popular.
    Oh, mother, tell your children not to do what I have done . . .

My Favourite Funnies No. 22: THE RUIN