Page 32 of 146 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I would prefer that as well, if only because the Deadpool movie established a less convoluted timeline, so to speak. Now I enjoyed DoFP and X-men Apocalypse as well, but the timelines in those movies are just too convoluted.

It'd be shame to keep Mophie seperated. Basically GoT S2-6 all over again

Fantastic Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    I think you can join but I'll have to ask Abromally Normal first. Cypher's death is so heart breaking when he jumps in front of a bullet for Rahne and she doesn't even realise he is dying And a few issues later when Warlock tries to reanimate Cypher because he doesn't understand death. It's pretty messed up but very poignant.
    Great!

Yes, you are right; it was messed up, but very poignant.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

RE: Mentor. I absolutely go for Moira because:

1. She's awesome.
    2. She's a woman.
    3. She's not mutant. That's fundamental IMO, I think X-movies terribly lack of human characters.
    4. She's a civilian scientist...in the comic. I wish she quit CIA in the movies.
    5. She's not one of the overexposed cinematic characters such as Xavier, Magnus or Mystique.

I would happily admit Stormshipp as assistant. And please Fox, call her Ororo --she's got a name, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    If this is about the Demon Bear then Warlock does not belong. Setting his story up will take too much time and will be too inconsistent with the rest of the movie. Go supernatural or go space-sci fi. Don't do both in the same movie.
    My wish: Demon Bear for this first movie, Warlock at the post-credits scene. So, Douglock for the second movie . And Karma for the third one...?

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I could see Lockheed & Warlock as Limbo Demons
    Yes for Lockheed. No for Warlock.

It would be interesting if the movies followed the comics and had Charles mentoring the characters at first, only to entrust them to Magneto in later movies. I think it would be a good way to keep Erik around, give him a new role and create hopefully interesting character dynamics in NM - ideally his character arc and his switching-sides day are over after X-Men Apocalypse, and have him mentoring a young group of mutants would be a good way to keep him around without treading old waters.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    It would be interesting if the movies followed the comics and had Charles mentoring the characters at first, only to entrust them to Magneto in later movies. I think it would be a good way to keep Erik around, give him a new role and create hopefully interesting character dynamics in NM - ideally his character arc and his switching-sides day are over after X-Men Apocalypse, and have him mentoring a young group of mutants would be a good way to keep him around without treading old waters.
    Except in the comics that didn't work out too well did it? Not for long at least. Although that may have been due to different writers not being as invested in the reformation of Magneto storyline , editorial pressure to turn Mags back into baddie.

@Rita: Yep, there are "gasp" actual reasons Claremont wrote the characters how he did... maybe Fox just flippantly changed things all around doesn't have quite as much thinking put behind it....
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

Mighty Member

Yeah. Magneto was meant to be reformed for good, but editorial immediately began pushing to make him a villain again. Had Claremont stayed on New Mutants they would not have broken with him like they did under Simonsen. He wrote Magneto in Uncanny to be a completely different character from Simonsen's, as if his declaration that he was preparing for war with humanity again never happened.

Incredible Member TheRealWashout's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Ok but you can't deny what I said is still true, karma got dropped off the team remember relatively early in the run even... Magik is obviously NM's "break out star". Relatively it is true, sure Magik is not a global icon like Batman fine....
    Cannonball is the New Mutants' breakout star. Magik only took off recently because of Tumblr people. Any character can be made popular in movies and media. There's no reason Magik and Karma couldn't both be in this.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Cannonball is the New Mutants' breakout star. Magik only took off recently because of Tumblr people. Any character can be made popular in movies and media. There's no reason Magik and Karma couldn't both be in this.
    Not really. Cannonball only really 'broke out' when the book became X-Force and most of the classic cast was already gone. Magik basically took over the book once she was added to the roster and was effectively the main character until Inferno. At most he was 3rd behind Magik and Moonstar in the original run. And she was also the star during Zeb Wells revival of New Mutants and the only New Mutant to be on the flagship from 2011-2016.

Incredible Member TheRealWashout's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Not really. Cannonball only really 'broke out' when the book became X-Force and most of the classic cast was already gone. Magik basically took over the book once she was added to the roster and was effectively the main character until Inferno. At most he was 3rd behind Magik and Moonstar in the original run. And she was also the star during Zeb Wells revival of New Mutants and the only New Mutant to be on the flagship from 2011-2016.
    She was also dead for most of the time the X-men were at the height of their popularity.

She was also dead for most of the time the X-men were at the height of their popularity.
    Which is a testament to the fact she's risen so far. Even before Tumbler was a thing. The only New Mutant heavily associated with the main teams. Magik will without a doubt be the breakout star of this movie.

Mighty Member

Yup, thanks to an editorial mandate against magic in the X-Verse. But during that period Cannonball never managed to break into the mainstream. He was overshadowed in his own book by Deadpool and Cable. He only featured in 1 episode of the hit XMTAS, the same number Illyana did. And in Evolution he wasn't featured as much as Moonstar or Magma. He never benefited from happening to be around during that period.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Just to be crystal clear: I have nothing at all against the character of Karma, I think she is an interesting character and yes it'd be nice for sake of diversity her orientation and ethnicity, background would be useful.

I think one of her issues was her mutant power, it's one of those that is either way too much a Deus ex Machina or else utterly useless.

(Also Magik is probably bisexual so there is that if you care about diversity, plus Russian characters are few and far between, and given the current geopolitical tensions I think having positive portrayals of Russians is more needed now than in a long time)
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

I think Yana is asexual but I'm curious if Boone and Fox are willing to explore same-sex territory with her.

As for Karma, not really a big fan after the tragedy balancing act she eventually turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Just to be crystal clear: I have nothing at all against the character of Karma, I think she is an interesting character and yes it'd be nice for sake of diversity her orientation and ethnicity, background would be useful.

I think one of her issues was her mutant power, it's one of those that is either way too much a Deus ex Machina or else utterly useless.

(Also Magik is probably bisexual so there is that if you care about diversity, plus Russian characters are few and far between, and given the current geopolitical tensions I think having positive portrayals of Russians is more needed now than in a long time)
    I love Karma, and I hope that they'll incorporate her into a film one day, but I think this is a big reason why people don't use her whether its the films or comics. Her powerset can either end things too quickly, or serves absolutely no purpose. I would imagine its hard to try to balance.

Mighty Member

Yeah. Karma's powers are not movie friendly and would likely be too difficult to differentiate from regular telepathy. We've seen Xavier possess people multiple times in the last few movies as well as Apocalypse. With Doug his powers or lack thereof are much easier to use as a plot device.

It would be nice if they could use all the classic characters like Doug and Amara, but it's understandable that they want to keep the cast small and probably better for the movie overall. The real problem is Warlock, who I really hope does not make it into the movie.

Also keep in mind, outside of Magik, Wolfsbane, and Xavier, everything about casting we've heard so far still falls into the category of 'rumor,' so it could be that Karma is in and Warlock is out.