Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

One of the new Teen Titans members seems similar to Terra in powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    If you're grasping at straws sure.
    If you truly believe that, then surely you can come up with examples from that era that do not feature chrome plated limbs.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    If you truly believe that, then surely you can come up with examples from that era that do not feature chrome plated limbs.
    I already presented a few in the last image but:

Bloodties3.jpg

SUPERBOY-KARL-KESEL.jpg

2009-08-11_191705_thorcostume-5.jpg

Sometimes I think I do more work than what I should.

The (rebooted) Savior Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'll give the 90s designers this ... that extra-spikes/extra-sized guns/extra pouches/extra straps and Mortal Kombat, steroided style of heroing was like engineered with precision to appeal to my brain. 90-94, that is. I mean I wrote and created characters in those days primarily in the fantasy mold, but you'd better believe the armor was spikey and the quivers and scabbards were strapped all over.

I turned 5 in 1990, just on the aside. Ages 5-9 were my big comic time. Right during Knightfall. GOD how Azrael's Batman costume appealed to me.

By ten I thought super-heroes were stupid, except for Ninja Turtles nostalgia. I actually still hold TMNT ... and Hama's G.I. Joe ... in like higher esteem than Marvel & DC combined. But even as a little tot I understood they were a parody and were punk as funk. Video-games destroyed them. 1996. Nintendo 64 came. Killed comics for me. Not reading, I read heavy prose then. Not so much comics. No time to read something that's not dense if it's not interactive. No time to draw, Ganons to beat. Although I don't think anybody escaped the quality of Batman: The Animated Series, it was re-runs later, when I'd started viewing the world a bit differently that brought me back to understanding just how quality that was.

The thing about the 90s is it worked. I mean I was already a little artist kid when 1989 was wrapping up, but I did copy Jim Lee comics and read Spawn and think it was all the coolest, most brutal thing ever. I learned quite a bit from that era, and honed some skills, and so forth.

Of course then I grew up and went to high school and all the bad habits I'd picked up from copying artists with no observational skills about human anatomy kind of resurfaced a bit. That was a pain to let go of, that garbage anatomy 90s short-hand style of drawing. I had to consciously shift styles to a more manga-influenced eye just to shake the habit. Thank god I shook it all completely off by the time I hit art school.

The Nineties - getting kids WICKED excited about EXTREME crappy art. I view it with a wary eye now, but I'm not cynical about it. That period and those artists succeeded. (They never grew as artists, got better, or got out of bad habits, but they surely succeeded!) And not all of the art was bad, either. Calafiore was doing Aquaman back then. Sure, the designs were bad, but that guy's art was gorgeous. You look at it, it "Feels 90s", but then you look at Secret Six from a couple years ago and it "Feels 2010".
    Ha, I can relate man.

I have no artistic talent, but man did those crappy Jim Lee books make me think I did in high school. I remember reading X-MEN on the bus with some other kid, and he would pull out these awful renditions of Grifter and I honestly didn't know who Grifter was nor did I ever care to find out. I thought BATMAN was too much "the man" and I ignored him completely. I only stood by SUPERMAN during those years. I'm like the only one, but I've always thought Superman was pretty punk rock. Champion of the Oppressed and holding businessmen by the throat and all that jazz.

Every now and then though, I see someone still aping Jim Lee or Michael Turner, and I do judge 'em. It was cool back then, but now it seems sad. Overly nostalgic. Reminds me too much of skipping school and sitting at uncomfortable desks all day. I never thought I'd be at a place where I want a red phone in the Batcave, ya know?
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Azrael's Bat costume appealed to me heavily too. The first one at least, before he started going nuts and modifiying it. I would see the ad for Batman #500 in my Superman comics though and pull a Keanu. "Woah." I was 12 at the time. So as dated and silly as those looks appear now, they were appealing to the right base at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    That Karl Kerschl Teen Titans cover makes me sick. It's that good. Every artist ever really ought to study his Tim Drake. His Raven is superior because he uses proper dark blacks in her coloration and makes the blue parts the "lighter" part of her get-up. Bunker looks fine. Wonder Girl isn't overly chested, she looks like a teenage girl.

And that's just the "present day" jive. Whoever that future Flash girl is makes me A. Happy because that costume design is brilliant and B. Sad, because I realized I'd be happier with a gender-swapped Wally than an ethnically shifted one. But hey, over in Flash covers ... I will say this; it's vivid, reflective and gaudy and I still don't hate that costume on Wally. I hope once the Future's End flip-trick passes by, Booth settles on something closer to that blue one he tested a while back. At least he got the black pants in there, though.

Mark my words and get used to a similar costume, because the Wally we really wind up getting to know is going to be the "Five Years Later" Wally, not the "bad little kid" cliche we just met. If he just had red hair I'd really get over his slight increase in melanin.
    Yeah, Kerschl is pretty awesome... that's a splendid Tim Drake.

Why isn't he on more stuff? If i was DC i'd be snatching him up and putting him to work, stat... from my viewpoint, they need a few more (well, a lot more actually) artists like him that isn't so... "samey".

I bet Marvel is looking to snag him up right now lol.

I'm "iffy" on the Wally West costume, i like the chest piece and gloves... but i'm not feeling the rest at this time. Maybe if the pants were red, i don't know.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-25-2014 at 06:38 AM.

The (rebooted) Savior Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Azrael's Bat costume appealed to me heavily too. The first one at least, before he started going nuts and modifiying it. I would see the ad for Batman #500 in my Superman comics though and pull a Keanu. "Woah." I was 12 at the time. So as dated and silly as those looks appear now, they were appealing to the right base at the time.
    Totally. I dug that suit too. I also loved the hell out of Superman's black costume (the one he returned from the dead in). I had no problem with his long hair. I loved that overly 90s John Stamos Superman.

Azrael was real cool back then, now I can't help but wince at him. Weird how times change.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg