Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Ranking the Mighty Marvel Movie Sequels: "Days of Future Past," "Winter Soldier" & More

With "Days of Future Past" now in theaters, CBR sorts through Marvel's heroes' big screen second chapters to find which is the best of them all!

Full article here.

Oh look, a wank over sequel rankings while basking in the post-coital afterglow of the latest X-Men sequel. Let's try and rank them after a few months have gone by and an objective view of franchises and sequels can be made.

One should be thankful Howard the Duck 2 didn't come out this weekend or the listing would be glowing about that awesomeness incessantly...

Quote Originally Posted by Nirikins View Post
    Oh look, a wank over sequel rankings while basking in the post-coital afterglow of the latest X-Men sequel. Let's try and rank them after a few months have gone by and an objective view of franchises and sequels can be made.

One should be thankful Howard the Duck 2 didn't come out this weekend or the listing would be glowing about that awesomeness incessantly...
    Oh, butthurt Marvel Studios fans.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Oh, butthurt Marvel Studios fans.
    Nope. Had the exact same opinion when everyone was going on about how Avengers was the best movie ever.

Time gives more realistic opinions. I, too, walk out of movies going that was the best comic movie ever and a few days later realize it was really good but not the end all, be all.

Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirikins View Post
    Nope. Had the exact same opinion when everyone was going on about how Avengers was the best movie ever.

Time gives more realistic opinions. I, too, walk out of movies going that was the best comic movie ever and a few days later realize it was really good but not the end all, be all.

Nice try though.
    And yet, with a much hyped Marvel sequel out this seems like an opportune time to put up an article about the best Marvel sequels, no? It's just one person's opinion, not a decree from Above that tells you in which order you must prefer these films.

Leaving Days out of it since I haven't seen it yet, I think that's a reasonable order for those films. I feel Wolverine is too high - the third act killed that film for me - but the most outrageous statement to me is that Nolan's trilogy set the bar for modern films. Maybe his first two films did, but the third installment was a mess of inane plot contrivances that rivals those of ASM 2.

Quote Originally Posted by joeshan View Post
    And yet, with a much hyped Marvel sequel out this seems like an opportune time to put up an article about the best Marvel sequels, no? It's just one person's opinion, not a decree from Above that tells you in which order you must prefer these films.

Leaving Days out of it since I haven't seen it yet, I think that's a reasonable order for those films. I feel Wolverine is too high - the third act killed that film for me - but the most outrageous statement to me is that Nolan's trilogy set the bar for modern films. Maybe his first two films did, but the third installment was a mess of inane plot contrivances that rivals those of ASM 2.
    Point well made. Though my comment really had nothing to do with studio involved. Until tomorrow afternoon, I can't judge DOFP, only observe that the writer's current afterglow was visible in his wording. I'd be curious how he sees things in the future, though.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the third Nolan movie! -shudders-

The list is decent. We should wait before rating DOFP that high. Also, I would have replaced the 2nd and 1st spot.

The 2nd spot is, to this day, the perfect superhero movie ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaniv Avizrats View Post
    The list is decent. We should wait before rating DOFP that high. Also, I would have replaced the 2nd and 1st spot.

The 2nd spot is, to this day, the perfect superhero movie ever.
    I think not. X2 is the best comic book movie ever made. The "Have you try not to be mutant?" still haunts me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    I think not. X2 is the best comic book movie ever made. The "Have you try not to be mutant?" still haunts me.
    Agree 100 percent, I'd move cap 2 to the second spot

Not a bad list. Just two comments: I think "Rise of the Silver Surfer" had a lot of problems but I'm not sure about the "Galactus as a cloud" thing. Yes, the Big G appeared as a cloud but I also think that the actual physical entity may have been inside the cloud. At the least, there is a scene at the end where the Surfer confronts a figure in silhouette that is the classic Galactus. Personally, I think that the bigger mistake that film made (besides getting made at all) was to put all of the Surfer's power in his board. Kind of insulting to reduce the most powerful Marvel superhero to an extension of a surfboard (rather than the reverse, which is the case in the comics).

Personally, I think that "Ghost Rider" may have been the worst film ever made. If 'Ghost Rider 2" was actually worse, that is really saying something.

Blade 2 is not rated high enough it was way better then Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    I'm still struggling to remember the film. No lasting impact.

1. Cap 2
    2. Spiderman 2
    3. Incredible Hulk
    4. X2

I would have Cap 2 at number one. I did not like X2 or X-Men: Days of Future Past. X2 in particular has not aged well, especially compared to the great imagery and scenes in Spider-Man 2. Utterly forgettable. X-Men: Days of Future Past does a terrible job of following up the best X-Men Film, X-Men: First Class, and thus it fails as a sequel. Within the first act, it takes away all the great things that First Class set up: Every mutant not in the Last Stand is dead or cannon fodder, the awesome ending sequence where Charles loses his legs is ruined by the magical cure that takes away his powers, and the school is closed down within 10 years. It's more of an X4 than a First Class 2.

Winter soldier is number one for sure. In fact, I've even seen many reviews of DoFP talk about the two consistently say it's not as good as TWS.

It should be

CAP 2
    Incredible Hulk
    X2

I think X2 has endeared people but it doesn't stand up nearly as well to modern comic book stories. And don't even get me started on the Raimi SM movies. Overly campy, silly, poorly directed and acted fluff-fests.

Seeing DOFP later today.

Til then it goes:

1. Spiderman 2
    2. Captain America 2
    3. X-men 2

The rest either outright sucked (FF2, IM2) or were forgettable (Blade 2, Hulk 2 - I didn't think either totally sucked at the time but I struggle now to remember them at all), or not worth seeing given how bad the first movie was (Amazing Spiderman 2, Ghost Rider 2).
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 05-24-2014 at 06:23 PM.