Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Nova, #17

Sam gets a little down time, which leaves him a little down, in this great done-in-one issue of "Nova" by Gerry Duggan and Paco Medina.

Full review here.

BANNED

Really dug this issue and liked that it heavily focused on his mother.
    The bit where his sister tried on the Helmet was hilarious and it was nice how good of a big brother he is.
    Also a nice moment where his mom tells him that he and his dad target practice the same way.
    Everything else was just awesome including the house rescue with the adorable old couple.

That ending though. Man I got all kinds of chocked up.

Issue#17 is a filler issue between Duggan's best arc so far and the upcoming Original Sin event...but it is a very good issue of the series. Duggan continues to write the heck out of this series, supplying character and depth to Sam Alexander. There is just something Duggan has a knack for delivering that is humanizing Sam from sort of a beyond belief "zany" (cliche) character written by middle aged men to a an actual real kid. if only LOEB and WELLS could have come close to this level of emotion and genuine writing earlier.

Nova is somehow, despite the very real problems of the first 10 issues, developing into a good comic.

Its tough to sometimes get over that Sam is a 15 year old...and even though Duggan makes strides humanizing Sam's mom - this story in particular actually points out the danger of the Nova helmet and perhaps how unidentifiably irresponsible it would be for Sam's mom or Jesse to allow Sam to have access to such a weapon. This is hardly a stretch for comic books...but in the post 9/11 world and after 13 years of War..maybe it would have been a bit better off to have made Sam a couple of years older?

I'd enjoy this whole thing more if there wasnt the "taint" of the dismissal of Richard Rider. I am a huge proponant of the Richard Rider crowd...I feel Rider was one of marvels best characters just starting to hit his stride and "Wrongs" were committed with RIder that need "Righting" nevertheless, Duggan does not really have a dog in the fight. He's a good writer, and despite my biased against the book...he's done an outstanding job and made diatribes against the notion of Sam Alexander a bit harder for me. But we've hashed this out ad nauseum for now...Duggan's a good writer and I wish he would add Rider to the fold and "Right the Wrongs" we all speak of.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.

i have a huge problem with those UFO Watchers.. i mean, they all know about the existence of aliens right?? they live in the same world that was attacked by Thanos last year... and Galactus has tried to eat the Earth--- is not like UFO's will be any surprise.
    This is the same problem with issue #15 where the Science teacher discusses the existence of aliens...
    I understand those things happened mainly in NY, but they have TV in this small town, right? they should know alien activity in the town means trouble and probably should leave rather than herding there...
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!