Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1222
  1. #1201
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    7,773

    Default

    Yeah, he only originally joined because the government insisted they had to have a black member, and Black Panther wasn't on the team at the time. He's been on and off ever since though, and was on Luke Cage's Mighty Avengers when he became Cap. When the teams were restructured after Secret Wars, Sam was Tony's first recruit, and he became leader when Tony was rendered comatose in Civil War II. Sadly, he hasn't had a good showing in his tenure. First Ms Marvel leaves and forms her own team, recruiting the two teen boys (Nova and Spidey) who had also left shortly before. Then Kang nearly kills the team in the cradle, and he accidentally teaches a past version of the team the Avengers Assemble line! Then Secret Empire happened, prompting him to ditch the Captain America identity and costing the team their base. Nadia saved the day there, providing a temporary base until the Human Torch gave them the Avengers Mansion. Then the Worlds Collide story happened, which almost got Viv Vision killed. And now No Surrender, which they apparently didn't see coming. It's not Sam's fault, but it's been one disaster after another.

  2. #1202
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, he only originally joined because the government insisted they had to have a black member, and Black Panther wasn't on the team at the time. He's been on and off ever since though, and was on Luke Cage's Mighty Avengers when he became Cap. When the teams were restructured after Secret Wars, Sam was Tony's first recruit, and he became leader when Tony was rendered comatose in Civil War II. Sadly, he hasn't had a good showing in his tenure. First Ms Marvel leaves and forms her own team, recruiting the two teen boys (Nova and Spidey) who had also left shortly before. Then Kang nearly kills the team in the cradle, and he accidentally teaches a past version of the team the Avengers Assemble line! Then Secret Empire happened, prompting him to ditch the Captain America identity and costing the team their base. Nadia saved the day there, providing a temporary base until the Human Torch gave them the Avengers Mansion. Then the Worlds Collide story happened, which almost got Viv Vision killed. And now No Surrender, which they apparently didn't see coming. It's not Sam's fault, but it's been one disaster after another.
    Nothing comes easy for Sam.

  3. #1203
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Nothing comes easy for Sam.
    .......And here's some proof {sort of}, via his upcoming appearance within these Preview Pages for MIGHTY THOR #703.

  4. #1204
    Incredible Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    .......And here's some proof {sort of}, via his upcoming appearance within these Preview Pages for MIGHTY THOR #703.
    I think Jane and Sam make a good couple. Their backgrounds and characterization line up pretty well. Hopefully, if Jane gets through this Sam will gravitate more towards her in the future.
    Come visit this thread to cast your vote: http://community.comicbookresources....Marvel-Climate

    PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE YOU COMMENT ! Thank You :cool

    X aka Charles Xavier Appreciation : http://community.comicbookresources....ciation-Thread

  5. #1205
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    7,773

    Default

    That issue takes place between Worlds Collide and No Surrender then? There is a bit of a timeskip there, and if Jane and Sam haven't seen each other for a while, then the Avengers can't have assembled recently.

  6. #1206

    Default

    https://www.cbr.com/preview-death-mighty-thor-part-4/

    Hopefully Jane is eventually cured/recovers.. It would be great for Sam to get engaged to her.. there can be a future timeline story that focuses on their children and the powers they will inherit. thunder deity powers plus bird communication. "Thunderbird". Neat!!

  7. #1207
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    7,773

    Default

    Pax already posted that preview.

    A kid wouldn't inherit any powers from Jane unless she ends up permanently in her Asgardian form. And Sam's avian telepathy powers were created by cosmic cube manipulation. I don't think they'd inherit anything, and would end up as a tech user like Sam.

  8. #1208
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    .......And here's some proof {sort of}, via his upcoming appearance within these Preview Pages for MIGHTY THOR #703.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I think Jane and Sam make a good couple. Their backgrounds and characterization line up pretty well. Hopefully, if Jane gets through this Sam will gravitate more towards her in the future.
    Geez....I hope Jane pulls through, somehow. I actually do think Sam & Jane can work long term.

    I always see Misty being with Danny more than Sam.

    I don't see Jane & Odinson as being more than just friends.

    A book featuring Sam & Jane could work, imo. You could get a nice mix of political/social commentary, romance, cosmic/fantasy, & gritty street action all within a year's worth of stories.

  9. #1209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Pax already posted that preview.

    A kid wouldn't inherit any powers from Jane unless she ends up permanently in her Asgardian form. And Sam's avian telepathy powers were created by cosmic cube manipulation. I don't think they'd inherit anything, and would end up as a tech user like Sam.

    this is comics, they can make it happen, lol. whee... let the fun begin..

  10. #1210
    Incredible Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Geez....I hope Jane pulls through, somehow. I actually do think Sam & Jane can work long term.

    I always see Misty being with Danny more than Sam.

    I don't see Jane & Odinson as being more than just friends.

    A book featuring Sam & Jane could work, imo. You could get a nice mix of political/social commentary, romance, cosmic/fantasy, & gritty street action all within a year's worth of stories.
    That would be a very good book! Could have a whole new spin on the "Worlds Finest" with the Batman & Superman Dynamic.
    Come visit this thread to cast your vote: http://community.comicbookresources....Marvel-Climate

    PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE YOU COMMENT ! Thank You :cool

    X aka Charles Xavier Appreciation : http://community.comicbookresources....ciation-Thread

  11. #1211
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I hope Sam continues to lead the Avengers.

    I think it is pretty awesome considering the circumstances on how he joined the team, initially.
    I don't know if you've read those original stories but they are underwhelming if you're a big fan of Sam's. The Avengers #181 kind of satirizes Affirmative Action and Sam didn't even want to be on the team but joined as a favor to Steve. Writer David Micheline had a specific story planned but he wasn't able to write the next several issues of the book. By the time he came back, he felt the tension that was part of his story would no longer make sense since it wasn't in the issues he didn't write and he had Sam leave the team. So we're kind of left a run where Sam just complains about being the token and does nothing else of note.

  12. #1212
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I think Jane and Sam make a good couple. Their backgrounds and characterization line up pretty well. Hopefully, if Jane gets through this Sam will gravitate more towards her in the future.
    I don't mind them temporarily dating but I don't want it to be a permanent thing.

  13. #1213
    Spectacular Member TrooperCameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Geez....I hope Jane pulls through, somehow. I actually do think Sam & Jane can work long term.

    I always see Misty being with Danny more than Sam.

    I don't see Jane & Odinson as being more than just friends.

    A book featuring Sam & Jane could work, imo. You could get a nice mix of political/social commentary, romance, cosmic/fantasy, & gritty street action all within a year's worth of stories.
    Sounds like a good comic to me. You guys check out the preview for Avengers 676?
    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-avenge...arvel-history/

  14. #1214
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrooperCameron View Post
    Sounds like a good comic to me. You guys check out the preview for Avengers 676?
    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-avenge...arvel-history/
    Yes.....and now, looks like the entire Avengers teams (that're not frozen) are really about to be challenged.....!!

  15. #1215
    Astonishing Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On the cosmic shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't know if you've read those original stories but they are underwhelming if you're a big fan of Sam's. The Avengers #181 kind of satirizes Affirmative Action and Sam didn't even want to be on the team but joined as a favor to Steve. Writer David Micheline had a specific story planned but he wasn't able to write the next several issues of the book. By the time he came back, he felt the tension that was part of his story would no longer make sense since it wasn't in the issues he didn't write and he had Sam leave the team. So we're kind of left a run where Sam just complains about being the token and does nothing else of note.
    I'm waiting for someone to script a retconned panel of Avengers 181 where Gyrich is looking at a board of all of the super-powered African American characters (not that there were many), including Isaiah Bradley and Blue Marvel, and running down all of his biased reasons for not picking those characters until he gets to Sam.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •