Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Magneto stories

Hey all, I haven't been here for a little while and the re-sign up thing caught me off guard. I did have a thread created related to Magneto's best stories / recommendations on my old account and searched for that to save spamming with a new thread, but I can't seem to find it again.

Alas, I am here. Magneto is a character I always feel I have never quite sunk my teeth into as much as i'd liked to have (metaphorically of course), so I'm just looking for recommendations of Magneto's greatest stories / story arcs. Preferably a limited series so it's all self contained, but hey, if his best stuff is a run in an ongoing, then so be it!

So, recommend away!

If you want to read about Magneto:

- Magneto Testament is a MUST READ.
    - Mutant Genesis (X-Men v2 1-3).
    - Fatal Attractions.
    - God Love, Man Kills.
    - Age of Apocalypse.
    - Magneto Triumphant (X-Men v1 111-113)

These six story are clearly the best story arc IMO.
    Start with that. After that you can go read other Magneto mini-series like

- Magneto: Not a hero.

You also have some issues in the original Uncanny X-Men volume where he's the main character:

- Uncanny X-Men 150, 161, 199, 200.
    - Classic X-Men 12 + 19.
    Last edited by Magneto; 05-25-2014 at 04:30 AM.
    Top characters: Magneto, Cyclops, Kitty Pryde, Warpath, Rogue, Gambit, Dr Doom, Green Arrow, Human Torch, Thing.

Cyclops was right
    Magneto was right

Even though it's relatively new, I'd recommend Magneto: Not A Hero.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

- Uncanny X-Men 150, 161, 199, 200.
    I can't recommend these enough. They're all really good.
    Join LEGION WORLD - the web's biggest Legion of Superheroes fan forum

Long Live the Legion!

Yikes that's eerie. It reminds of The Cask of Amontillado.
    Join LEGION WORLD - the web's biggest Legion of Superheroes fan forum

Long Live the Legion!

It's only been a few issues but the new ongoing is a great read, especially if you enjoyed First Class's Mags.

New X-Men: Planet X

I'm afraid I can't remember issues, but there are some great Magneto moments in The New Mutants. I particularly remember issues #39/#40 where Magneto is still headmaster of Xavier's School and realises that he's been manipulated in turning his students over to Emma Frost. However, as he sets out to rescue them, Frost calls on the Avengers who are unaware that Magneto is now a reformed character.

You get some great characterisation of Magneto as someone who cares a lot about his students and is determined to act in their best interests. Very different from his earlier and later characterisations.

Also his steps towards reformation that happen as small snippets in earlier issues - e.g.

magneto22.jpg
    Last edited by genki_desu; 05-25-2014 at 09:18 AM.

When did Testament come out? I've not heard of it

It came out on Marvel's "mature content" imprint, and is not widely known. It's basically a reboot of his origin, giving him yet *another* name (Max Eisenhart this time) and goes into graphic detail of his time in Auschwitz. I really don't consider it that essential, and it'll probably get retconned again since the Movie-Going Public pretty firmly knows him as "Erik Lensherr" and we all know how Marvel hates to confuse the new readers from the movie audience with comic-only details.

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    When did Testament come out? I've not heard of it
    10char
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

In Magneto Testament we meet him as Max Eisenhart and his family . I don´t think it´s neccesary to change his name back to only Erik Lensherr, both in Movies and comics he used to be a rogue spy so different names are a given to him. He actually took the name Erik from his uncle Erich from Testament.

Magneto stories:

Secret Wars I : He wasn´t the main character but here he makes an alliance with the X-men for the firts time.
    Bloodties: sequel of Fatal Atractions.
    X-Men vs. the Avengers #1-4: Magneto second trial.
    Issue(s): X-Men vs. the Avengers #1, X-Men vs. the Avengers #2, X-Men vs. the Avengers #3, X-Men vs. the Avengers #4
    Uncanny X-Men #274-275 “Magneto in Savage Land”
    Classic X-men 12 : The Gentleman's Name is Magneto - A fire in the night
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-25-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    "Now play the insolent! Now plunder the God's Priviledges and give them to creatures of a day. What Drop of your sufferings can mortals spare? We are all but bit players in a tragedy FAR larger than any of us...A Tradegey called life Logan. But Today for yuo, perhaps for me---The curtain falls---And the play is FINISHED"

X-Men 25

Max Eisenhart? What is the point of that? Erik Lensherr is fine, isn't it?

Erik Magnus Lenserr was the name he used in the comics, but most characters, even close friends of his like Charles and Gabrielle Haller tought of it as an alias for him because no one knew his real name. In Magneto: Testament we met his family and find his real name is Max Eisenhart.
    "Now play the insolent! Now plunder the God's Priviledges and give them to creatures of a day. What Drop of your sufferings can mortals spare? We are all but bit players in a tragedy FAR larger than any of us...A Tradegey called life Logan. But Today for yuo, perhaps for me---The curtain falls---And the play is FINISHED"

X-Men 25