Super Moderator

Default READING LIST: Essential X-Men Stories To Read After Seeing "Days Of Future Past"

Whether you're scratching your head or pumping your fist after seeing "X-Men: Dats of Future Past," these are the comics you need to read!

Full article here.

I eagerly bought and read every issue of "Uncanny X-Men" circa "Bishop's Crossing", and those stories do not hold up well. I'd never suggest them to a new fan if I wanted the fan to keep reading. Has there ever been a Bishop-centered arc that holds up well?

Remember District X as being an okay series. Haven't reread it in ages though so not sure how well it has stood the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by johncihon View Post
    I eagerly bought and read every issue of "Uncanny X-Men" circa "Bishop's Crossing", and those stories do not hold up well. I'd never suggest them to a new fan if I wanted the fan to keep reading. Has there ever been a Bishop-centered arc that holds up well?
    No. Indicative of the character, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by icantstandthisindecision View Post
    No. Indicative of the character, I think.
    Bishop is Cable. You know, without the whole askani' son/savior of the mutant race, freedom fighter, summers bloodline entanlgement, and straight badassery.

Quote Originally Posted by bandoogiemanz View Post
    Bishop is Cable. You know, without the whole askani' son/savior of the mutant race, freedom fighter, summers bloodline entanlgement, and straight badassery.
    while both are quite boring Bishop >Cable

For Bishop I would suggest the Onslaught trade and X-men: the Twelve(which also have Apocalypse as the main villain).
    SPIDERMAN 2099* STORM* UNITY* ARMOR HUNTERS* TRANSFORMERS RID* NEW SUICIDE SQUAD

Quote Originally Posted by johncihon View Post
    The biggest problem with that section of the run was that it simultaneously covered the story-line with Colossus' long-lost brother. It wasn't a particularly engaging arc and cutting back-and-forth between that and Bishop's storyline left the issues seeming fairly disjointed. For better Bishop-heavy stuff:
    1. The one-off focus issue he has in UXM #311 is excellent
    2. Legion Quest and Age of Apocalypse
    3. The Deathbird and Bishop stuff is entertaining, and it gets its own focus issue in UXM #358
    4. Bishop's own solo series was not bad
    5. Much of X-Treme X-Men was good, and the Sage and Bishop detective teamwork made for some of the best parts
    6. The previously-mentioned District X
    Last edited by Bafflement; 05-30-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    The biggest problem with that section of the run was that it simultaneously covered the story-line with Colossus' long-lost brother. It wasn't a particularly engaging arc and cutting back-and-forth between that and Bishop's storyline left the issues seeming fairly disjointed. For better Bishop-heavy stuff:
    I totally agree that his early appearances had a lot of disjointed storytelling because of the multiple plots in the issues. I would say that one of the best single issues for Bishop was Uncanny X-Men #287. It basically lays down his mission for existing-- which was to arrest Fitzroy and the escaped inmates and solve the mystery of who betrayed the X-Men. Once that mystery was solved, I think Bishop lost a lot in his sails. I personally think Bishop also faltered as a character because he was basically another leader and you couldn't have him leading if Scott and Ororo were around.

"X-men: the Twelve"

I originally read that as it was released and I remember disliking it quite a bit. I mean, I hated that book. LOL!

I just purchased the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Prelude book, which contains #2 on Bafflement's list. So I'm excited to read that.

District X first arc was really good. Also read that as it was released.

-rudy

Missing Battle of the Atom :P

Bishop's Crossing!?!