Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default En Sabah Who? The History of the Villain of "X-Men: Apocalypse"

With "X-Men: Apocalypse" set to follow "Days of Future Past," CBR looks back on the history of the villain set on dominating all of mutantkind.

Full article here.

The Saint of Killers Superheroic's Avatar

Love the use of the Adam Pollina artwork!

I thought that teaser really really sucked for a casual fan TBH.

I had so many people text me and say "can you explain the ending scene? Is the next movie set in Egypt? What are they saying?"

It was so... disconnected from the rest of the movie. At least with the Thanos reveal, it looked like the same movie due to the Other talking to him. This one just confused the casuals that texted me.
    The Mind of Shadow- My Blog that has some comic stuff, but also lots of movie, powerlifting, fish, and other random stuff.

If you have a Blog on comics, action movies, aquariums, weightlifting, or anything else I might be interested in, hit me up with a PM so I can check it out.

Last Comic Based Blog Post: Easy Comics to Jump On To: The Punisher

My wife was confused and I had to explain it to her. That would have happened either way though. Unless you're a fan, you aren't going to know who Apocalypse is.

Agreed on sentiments about the tease in the after credits. Leaving my local theater, I heard so many people confused about what that event meant and if it meant more time travel.

Is it confusion or curiosity? It piqued their interest! The scene did what it was intended to do -- generate more interest so they ask questions of their fellow geeks!
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Executive Producer, CBR
    Tweets |
    Webs | 'grams

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I had so many people text me and say "can you explain the ending scene? Is the next movie set in Egypt? What are they saying?"

It was so... disconnected from the rest of the movie. At least with the Thanos reveal, it looked like the same movie due to the Other talking to him. This one just confused the casuals that texted me.
    I believe that was the point. Singer isn't Ratner. He doesn't do much for 'the casuals'.

If you didn't notice, the whole movie was a big "Okay let's fix the mess X3 made". Singer wasn't shy about saying that either, and it was clear from the beginning that this is where the movie was going.

The tease is just a tease, and it's made for the fans. The second you hear "En Sabah Nur", anyone who knows Apocalypse is piqued. The second you see the horsemen you go ecstatic.

The rest can go to google and see that this is a tease for the next movie called "Apocalypse" and figure out that it involves the titular villain.

I was pleased that it even got his red eyes and yellow pupils aspect down.

I dont see what's new there . People didnt understand the Thanos teaser , nor the Collector , nor Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch . It's the very nature of those that all of them , unless spelled out outright , will only make sense to comics fans . it is to wet their appetites and raises eybrows and curiosity from the casuals

"Fox's hit film, "X-Men: Days of Future Past," picked up on a cue from Marvel Studios' approach to movie making by ending with a post-credits sequence teasing the next film in the franchise."

Actually, X-Men 3 did it first in 2006. 2 years before Iron Man in 2008.

People often do not give Brett Ratner enough credit.

Number 1, the first Marvel film to give us stingers.
    Number 2, gave us awesome representations of Storm, Iceman, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Juggernaut and Angel.
    Number 3, gave us the first team-based X-Men movie not to focus completely on Wolverine. Before First Class, it was the ONLY non-Wolverine-centric movie of the franchise.
    Number 4, it was BRYAN SINGER that took Cyclops away from X-Men 3, not Brett Ratner! Singer took Marsden to do his stupid Superman film that sucked harder than any film has ever sucked.

Personally, I hated X1 (Magneto's scheme to turn humans into mutants is dumb as hell). X2 was decent, but still lacked big-time in terms of representation of the X-Men-- it only had 2 big scenes that actually mattered. It wasn't until X3 that it actually felt like a mutant/X-Men film. The cure to mutation was actually a fascinating story, as well (albeit taken from Joss Whedon's run). Jean, Cyclops and Xavier's deaths gave us a sense that anything can happen in this universe. And Xavier returning at the end, further drove this point.

Now, Days of Future Past, I wasn't expecting it to be great-- yet, I had hoped for it to be-- and I am pleased to say that it was marvelous. Perfect. Best Marvel movie thus far.

I wouldn't consider the ending as "CLEAN UP" work. On the contrary-- I think it also highlights the fact that ANYTHING can happen in this X-Men universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    to wet their appetites
    I think you mean WHET their appetites.

Maybe WET their pants.
    Last edited by dnunez; 05-27-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I whet myself

People said the same thing when Thanos was teased.

"Who's that guy," "Why is it in space," etc., etc. Everything in time, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DriedFruit View Post
    People said the same thing when Thanos was teased.

"Who's that guy," "Why is it in space," etc., etc. Everything in time, my friend.
    Nice pun there.

In a way I think even fans who know who it is still won't have much more to go on than "it's the next bad guy" as far as what to expect for the character's movie portrayal. As long as that gets across effectively I think the scene serves its purpose adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by dnunez View Post
    Number 3, gave us the first team-based X-Men movie not to focus completely on Wolverine. Before First Class, it was the ONLY non-Wolverine-centric movie of the franchise.
    The movie took a story that focused on the strength Jean and Scott's love and her physical and emotional sacrifice to save the one's she loved into a story about how much Wolverine loves her and Wolverine having to kill her (completely taking away the aspect of the self sacrifice that made the original story so emotionally compelling) to once again save the day and how sad that made him. 3 is just as Wolverine-centric as 2, and arguably more so than 1, as his love and his sacrifice of his love to save the day are the emotional focal points.

The big question who plays Apocalypse? I want Djimon Hounsou (see the movie Push, where he played the villain).
    SPIDERMAN 2099* CAP AMERICA & MIGHTY AVENGERS* UNITY* THE VALIANT* IVAR, TIMEWALKER* JOHN CARTER* STAR TREK/POTA