Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,528

    Default THE COLOR BARRIER: Does "Fair Play" Really Matter?

    Joseph Illidge picked up "Futures End" #3 and wonders if a "thugged out" portrayal of Mister Terrific undermines the character -- or matters at all.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    I've only read the first two issues of Future's End, and haven't bothered with Mister Terrific otherwise, so I'm not sure how much of a departure this is from what's been typical for him the last few years, but it seems in the comic they are making him a more morally ambiguous character. I remember him, in Pre-Nu52 being more Neil Degrasse Tyson-ish (to use the articles example) but I also remember him being much more of a boyscout character. That does not seem to be the character implied by the first two issues (before I ever saw the tattoos). They certainly seemed to imply he was a bit more self-centered in the Future's End issue I read. More along the lines of Downey Jr's Tony Stark, as he's more in it for himself.

    So I think the tattoos would've been really out of place on the character ten years ago, but maybe not now.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    818

    Default

    I'm happy Illidge decided to use more energy to promote the great things coming out in the Indies.

    DC and Marvel can do whatever they want: I'm here for the rise of a more accessible and inclusive comic book medium. For consumers and producers.

    As for Terrific, I've said this before and I'll say it again. That has Azzarello's fingerprints all over it. And not the good side of him.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Honestly, something must have happen to Mister Terrific to have him change this way since the last time anyone saw him was upon Earth 2.

  5. #5
    Genesis of A Nemesis Spear of Bashenga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly, something must have happen to Mister Terrific to have him change this way since the last time anyone saw him was upon Earth 2.
    My guess? Azzarello.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

  6. #6
    I'm your pusher 7thangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly, something must have happen to Mister Terrific to have him change this way since the last time anyone saw him was upon Earth 2.
    maybe he's overcompensating for when he was working for those nazis. that's what they were right? or was that pre 52?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    847

    Default

    It'd be cool if Terrific was somehow coming back. So... the back tattoo is offensive? If I buy this comic to see what the problem is, will I be lost since I don't read events?

  8. #8
    Tired. Jeff Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It'd be cool if Terrific was somehow coming back. So... the back tattoo is offensive? If I buy this comic to see what the problem is, will I be lost since I don't read events?
    I'd imagine that if you're only buying it to see what the fuss is about, the context of the "events" won't matter to you.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    847

    Default

    They didn't seem to matter to the writer of the article, who was buying his first DC comic in about 20 months, but I'd hope to get the context from the issue itself, because if there is something offensive then context will probably matter.

    I'm curious to know where the character would go from here, too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    maybe he's overcompensating for when he was working for those nazis. that's what they were right? or was that pre 52?
    Nazis? that is pre-52. But I guess you could say Dark Superman under Darksied is an effective Nazi Stand in and he has been mind controlled into doing some dirty work for Supes

  11. #11

    Default

    I think what they've done to Mr. Terrific makes him 100 times more interesting. Instead of just being the boy scout Lex Luthor he actually has some depth now. Not to mention he is setting up to potentially be the big "bad" (that's relative) of Future's End which raises his profile a lot. Anything to get him to quit saying he's the 3rd smartest person in the world

  12. #12
    Senior Member Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think what they've done to Mr. Terrific makes him 100 times more interesting. Instead of just being the boy scout Lex Luthor he actually has some depth now. Not to mention he is setting up to potentially be the big "bad" (that's relative) of Future's End which raises his profile a lot. Anything to get him to quit saying he's the 3rd smartest person in the world
    Are we talking Nu52 Terrific or Pre-Nu52? Because what you said is only right if you mean Nu52.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I have read the first half of this article at least 3 times, and I really cannot discern one way or the other how the author actually feels about the depiction in question. Maybe I'm just thick though.

    As for the accusation of "thugging out" Terrific, it is very much a perplexing complaint. The depiction of Terrific in question finds his identity almost exclusively in that of Kanye West, who is so far away from the stereotypical "thug from the streets" image, that to even make the connection is totally baffling. From the high fashion, to the obsession with social media and image that is 100% Kanye distilled (Well the general public's perception of Kanye anyway). Past that, Azzarello, who is almost certanly writing Terrific, is writing Mr. T with the machinations and agenda of Ozymandias. The influences are obvious, from Terrific's corporate prowess, his disdain for the silliness and inefficiency of the general superhero population, to using his public image to mask his actual agenda.

    So I guess the idea that he's a thug now comes exclusively down to his tats (which he's had since the New 52 launched, btw) and the fact that he's lifting irons in one scene? I don't know, I really don't buy it.

    The comparison to DeGrasse Tyson is also a little bit off, as Terrific has been written with a bit of bite to him before. Namely, his origin in Ostrander's The Spectre.



    Last edited by Maijson; 05-27-2014 at 03:10 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Ok let me just say something. As positive as this article tries to make it there's one thing I want to address.

    "What's noteworthy to me is that the writer of the "Storm" series is Greg Pak, a man of Korean descent. Marvel Comics hired a Person of Color to write a series about a Character of Color."

    Look, I do believe that we need more diversity in the staff who writes, edits, etc. comics to provide newer and more interesting viewpoints but this is different. This is actually massively insulting as the implication is that one "person of color" is just as good as another "person of color" just because they're not white. This is not a hit on Pak's writing ability nor am I complaining about him being the writer for Storm. In fact, I hope he writes a great Storm. My problem is with the one who wrote the article implying that all non-white people are completely interchangeable in writing all "people of color" by the virtue of having a non-white skin tone.

    I'm not white and think the implication that all PoC are exactly the same so you can put them all in the same box and are thus completely interchangeable in writing other PoC is a rather racist sentiment in itself whether is comes from a white guy or a "PoC".
    Last edited by idiyona; 05-27-2014 at 03:48 PM.

  15. #15
    Geek Strong Style Smoov-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maijson View Post
    I have read the first half of this article at least 3 times, and I really cannot discern one way or the other how the author actually feels about the depiction in question. Maybe I'm just thick though.

    As for the accusation of "thugging out" Terrific, it is very much a perplexing complaint. The depiction of Terrific in question finds his identity almost exclusively in that of Kanye West, who is so far away from the stereotypical "thug from the streets" image, that to even make the connection is totally baffling. From the high fashion, to the obsession with social media and image that is 100% Kanye distilled (Well the general public's perception of Kanye anyway). Past that, Azzarello, who is almost certanly writing Terrific, is writing Mr. T with the machinations and agenda of Ozymandias. The influences are obvious, from Terrific's corporate prowess, his disdain for the silliness and inefficiency of the general superhero population, to using his public image to mask his actual agenda.

    So I guess the idea that he's a thug now comes exclusively down to his tats (which he's had since the New 52 launched, btw) and the fact that he's lifting irons in one scene? I don't know, I really don't buy it.

    The comparison to DeGrasse Tyson is also a little bit off, as Terrific has been written with a bit of bite to him before. Namely, his origin in Ostrander's The Spectre.




    You are aware you also just described 50 Cent who is know as a gangster rapper

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •