Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Batman, #31

The second installment of "Zero Year: Savage City" from Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo gives "Batman" #31 a fight with some lions and a supercool early Batcycle scene.

Full review here.

While I enjoyed the issue, and admittingly being a Capullo fan, I would not have given 4.5 stars. I am more critical overall and would give 3.5 the most, reserving 5 stars for DKR standarts, as an example.

Anyway, after the letdown of DOF, ZY has been a really enjoyable run, although not as strong as the great Court of owls run at the beginning,

I think the first two issues of Savage City have been the best of Zero Year yet. Snyder and Capullo keep on bringing their A-Game

This has been the first issue I've enjoyed since the culmination of the Red Hood storyline.

Finally, the end is in sight.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

I was only excited to read this because it said "Finale" on the cover. Zero year has really lost me with the Villains Month and Eternal preview interludes.

It's a good issue, though, I recognize that. Great art, brilliant coloring, story chock full of "epic" moments and eloquent speechifying. But I'm just kind of exhausted by it and really don't feel compelled to see Zero Year through to conclusion.

Awesome issue. Zero Year is getting better and better. I would love to have another mini series detailing Bruce's early adventures after this ends. Of course with Snyder and some great artist on board

Loving the add hoc Batsuit, Bat bike and Batman vs lions. Bruce and Riddler mind games were pretty great, and I am curious to see how that last scene with 0's gonna play out.

However, Gordon's precise jump into the flooded subway entry was very very badly done. There's no way he could survive that. Suspension of disbelief I know, but it was so awkward, in fact, I don't think that's the first time things like this happened in this series, and they could easily be made more believable, for example, don't show Gordon jumping or show him with a rope or something.

Two more issues to go, I am excited to see how this ends!

BANNED

This was pretty bad. This story is dragging its ass to nowhere. What was the point of this?

Another great issue from the best creative team in mainstream superhero comics!

Loved the suspense in this issue. I really didn't know if Bats & Co. were going to pull in off. The fight with the lions was amazing. So well done. Batman's fireball was a smart and effective move. The only gripe I have is Gordon making that insanely unbelievable jump, but, it's okay, I can forgive a minor mistake in this series since they don't happen a lot. Looking forward to the last two issues to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 05-29-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo

Amazing issue!

The colors really made this something special.

The story was exciting too! I love how we are getting to see why and how Lucious and Jim are both good friends with Batman. They are battle brothers whose bonds were forged in the fires of war.

5/5

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post

It's a good issue, though, I recognize that. Great art, brilliant coloring, story chock full of "epic" moments and eloquent speechifying. But I'm just kind of exhausted by it and really don't feel compelled to see Zero Year through to conclusion.
    I agree but at this point I feel like Snyder has gotten lost in the weeds. Too much technical content and 2nd 3rd and 4th guessing which is where my exhaustion comes in. I don't feel that all the technical/logistical information adds to the drama. Especially for a monthly book it's almost impossible to keep track of. Writers should remember that although their stories will come out in collected editions, their key audience is the monthly crowd that reads many different titles. Capullo's art, however, has NEVER disappointed.

This story is only going to last 11 issues and has been broken up into three acts. I don't see how Snyder has gotten lost in the weeds.

This was an okay issue. I had a fun time reading it. In and of itself, I'm fine with it and would consider it quality comic-booking.

But when you see it in the context of being a self-important, overly bloated storyline to retell the origin with as much fanfare as possible and as many special covers as possible, it becomes eyeroll-inducing in its pomposity. It's way too drawn out and there are pages upon pages of Snyder's patented overwritten minutiae.

I don't see why the flashback to Bruce as a student matters. The issue opens with a very forced effort to have Lucius Fox mentioning a "flaming zero" or whatever, and then it closes with Bruce Wayne apparently having lit a flaming zero in front of his teacher's house. Why? What is the actual symbolism here? It just reads so heavyhanded, like "See? SEE? SEE THE CONNECTION??? See how it's like ZERO Year and here's ZERO and it's the answer the a math problem???" Yeah, I get it. But why is it relevant? On a sort of surface-level reading you can see this stuff and be decently amused by it all, on an utterly meaningless level -- and I CAN enjoy the book that way, seriously, I think there IS a positive there to just showing a sort of mildly curious flashback -- but the problem is that Snyder seems to frame this stuff as if its really profound, when it's more or less empty symbolism. Like the "Tokyo Moon" stuff. It was okay, but the explanation of it all in the final issue was just so freaking longwinded...

I chuckled at the part where Lucius tells Bruce that he needs 19 minutes to crack the code, so Bruce needs to keep the conversation with Nygma going for as long possible. It's like Snyder giving himself license to go into overwrought drawn-out dialogue mode for the next dozen pages. Honestly, though, it wasn't that bad. It was an okay issue overall...

...But it just never gets any less insulting to see the CBR reviews of this series and think "Really? Really, you think it's 4.5 stars, which screams 'next-to-perfect!'." I wouldn't have any problem with someone saying it was a 4-star comic. If you like it that much, fine. Nor would I have a problem with a little kid or whatever saying it was 5-star. But jeezus, CBR, have some shame and integrity. I'm a critic of Snyder's and even I think there were obviously issues of "Batman" (to say nothing of his "Detective" run) that were way better than this. Capullo's art (very nice as it is here, don't get me wrong) has looked better before too.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    This story is only going to last 11 issues and has been broken up into three acts. I don't see how Snyder has gotten lost in the weeds.
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic.

$53 worth of comics, plus a $5 Annual, for a total of nearly 400 pages. To retell Batman's origin. Needlessly broken up into different "acts" and chapters.

If this isn't excessive, I don't know what is. I guess it's not as bad as "Maximum Carnage" or whatever. But if that's the standard by which we measure everything, then no comics storyline was ever excessive.

I'm not even saying it's bad. The writing isn't totally bad and it has pretty great artwork. But, wow, what a thing to put everybody through. It was fun at times but generally dragged and most of all was totally unnecessary.

"If I could ever write ONE Batman origin story that is totally unnecessary, laughably self-important, and goes on for WAY too long, then THIS is the one I would write."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic.

$53 worth of comics, plus a $5 Annual, for a total of nearly 400 pages. To retell Batman's origin. Needlessly broken up into different "acts" and chapters.

If this isn't excessive, I don't know what is. I guess it's not as bad as "Maximum Carnage" or whatever. But if that's the standard by which we measure everything, then no comics storyline was ever excessive.

I'm not even saying it's bad. The writing isn't totally bad and it has pretty great artwork. But, wow, what a thing to put everybody through. It was fun at times but generally dragged and most of all was totally unnecessary.

"If I could ever write ONE Batman origin story that is totally unnecessary, laughably self-important, and goes on for WAY too long, then THIS is the one I would write."
    It's interesting you mentioned "laughably self-important" because that's what I was thinking while reading your post. Snyder has shown how Bruce became Batman, but really Snyder has left the bulk of Year 1 alone and added some touches or updates here and there. The first arc was more a clever telling of the Joker's origin (or as much of one as we are going to get) and was stuff that's been hinted at but never really shown in depth. The second arc was a nod to the first villain Batman ever faced (Dr. Death), the gadgets Batman uses, and explores his relationship with Gordon and Fox. And this third arc is shaping up to be one of the better Riddler tales ever (not a high bar I know). Each arc has really been its own story sprinkled in with minor origin updates.

Yes, Snyder beats the reader over the head with symbolism...he writes big, bombastic, symbolistic stories. Any time I've heard him talk he says that Greg Capullo calls him every month and says let's make it bigger or more crazy. It might not be your cup of tea, but you know what - it is really, really popular. He has a theme and plan and executes it and that's more than you can say for 90% of mainstream writers. Add in that he has pretty interesting ideas and you have the most popular comic by far. And that doesn't even touch on Capullo and Plascencia - the coloring of this book alone probably should get it 3* if there was nothing else.

Some people don't like Snyder, that's cool, but there are good reasons why a lot more do. I understand the complaints you make, but every month Batman is at the top of my read pile and I don't think I'm alone. Contrary to what you say, Snyder doesn't take it too seriously, just the opposite actually - he makes it fun.
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-29-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Snyder keeps making these bloated stories and while zero year isn't bad coming off a forever delayed event like forever evil just exhausts and annoys me more. Thank goodness eternal is coming out or there would be just this monologue heavy batman title to tide me over.