Super Moderator

Default Johnston Promises More Mystery, Magic as "Umbral" Comes "Out of the Shadows"

As the first arc of the dark fantasy series "Umbral" comes to a close, writer Antony Johnston promises more mysteries, magic and danger.

Full article here.

I have to do a re-read of the first arc. I liked pretty much the whole thing but I have some trouble remembering specific plot points.
    Saga, Chew, Southern Bastards, Deadly Class, The Private Eye, Batgirl, She-Hulk, Loki: Agent of Asgard

Im really glad I decided to check out this book, Ive really enjoyed it so far; its doing a few new things with the fantasy genre and that doesnt happen all that often.
    AvP|Hellboy|Magnus RF|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fade Out|Lazarus|Low|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Zero|Valiant
    Batman|FuturesEnd|GreenLantern+Corps|JL|RedLantern s|Sinestro|SwampThing
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|Daredevil|Magneto|Thor|X-Force

All-round British person antony's Avatar

Thanks, guys. We never seem to generate much discussion around here, so your speaking up is appreciated
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

Did not want to create a new thread to say "I'm dropping this book" so I tried to search for the most appropriate place to say that and thought this fit.

I dropped this after issue #8. I thought the first three issues of this book were amazing but then started to lose a bit of interest with the second half of the first arc. I re-read the entire first arc and kind of felt the same way. The first three issues introduce all this fascinating stuff, new story information along with really creative storytelling and art design. The last few issues of the first arc aren't bad but they don't really push things as much and the nonstop "Rascal running from evil" pacing was starting to wear on me a little. I also didn't really find Rascal's new friends (Shayim and the really grotesque looking one who Shayim argues with, whose name escapes me) that interesting.

Unfortunately I was just mega bored with the first couple issues of the new arc. The pacing completely screeches to a halt to where it feels like the characters and story are killing time, the setting is really boring, the weirdness factor feels really toned down...I tried to re-read them a couple times to see if I was in a bad mood but I was completely bored each time.

I really liked the start of this series and I would like to return if the next arc brings back the darkness, weirdness, and threat level of the early issues.
    Saga, Chew, Southern Bastards, Deadly Class, The Private Eye, Batgirl, She-Hulk, Loki: Agent of Asgard