Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Go Ahead, Marvel - Kill Wolverine. But Did You Have To Spoil It?

Announcing the "Death of Wolverine" months in advance guarantees a boost in sales for the hero's final days, but is it really the best move for long term success?

Full article here.

Comics shot themselves in the foot by cheapening death. When the character dies not only does everyone knows going into the story that the character will die, they also know they will eventually return and the death with be meaningless. This is only perpetuated by the fool fans who don't want impactful stories, they just want to see their character in story after story month after month. Then they bitch about comics not selling well and the superhero genre not being respected.

He is not going to die, so the whole point is moot. Sure, he might appear to die, and he might even be gone for a few months, but is anyone out there really naive enough to believe that one of Marvels most popular characters is going to die?

He's going to die but it won't be for long.

And even though it provides a short-term spike in sales, angering and alienating the hardcore fans in an attempt to attract casual ones can be a monumental mistake -- and cost long-term buzz that could have otherwise led to a healthier, more loyal core audience.
    Very interesting article. Lots of very good points and I was particularly taken with that paragraph.

However, I'm not sure how much of the audience anger is to do with character deaths being spoiled months in advance as a money-maker as much as characters being killed off as a money-maker. I think my annoyance with the whole Death of Wolverine push from Marvel is that I disagree with their decision to kill an iconic X-Man, and the publicity feels gloating and hostile towards his fans, of which I am one.

In that way I do agree completely with the long drawn out publicity being counter-productive. If I picked up an issue in which Logan died when there had been no advance publicity I would be shocked and upset, but having my nose rubbed it in for months beforehand does seem particularly unpleasant. One can be perfectly aware that these are fictional characters and still have an emotional investment in them, sometimes going back decades, and the whole 'Yay, we're making money from killing someone you like' gloatfest from Marvel is pretty unpleasant.

I do think a bit more sensitivity to the concept that fans might not mind being teased endlessly about things they are intrigued by, or would like to see happen - like Kurt coming back from the dead - but that it might require a different publicity approach to tease something they are dreading rather than anticipating, would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    He's going to die but it won't be for long.
    Which is the real shame too. If all these X-titles are going to somehow reflect his death and he comes back after a year then it just cheapens everything.

I want him taken off the board for at least 2 years.

It makes more or less the same sense than announcing that there will be an event called "Infinity" or "Original Sin" months ahead. They do this to generate interest and keep people invested in some books. It makes the same sense then having writers releasing interviews about their plans for the next 10 issues of a book.

The "death" of Wolverine is just another event, the only difference is that it will be brought to the attention of the general public. They are not announcing the final of the story, or spoiling the story in any sense, as even stones know that death in comics is just transitional.

So..... we just have hope they will come out with a decent comic book. Personally, I will buy it only in trade if the general opinion is that it is a masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Valjean999 View Post
    He is not going to die, so the whole point is moot. Sure, he might appear to die, and he might even be gone for a few months, but is anyone out there really naive enough to believe that one of Marvels most popular characters is going to die?
    Kind of reminds of when Batman "died". While I did enjoy the whole "who is going to take over as Batman" story, I knew it wasn't going to count for anything. The same thing is going to happen when Wolverine eats it.

BANNED

I have no problem with the title or the implications it brings.
    It's all about the journey, not the destination.

If you kill a character, he should stay dead for a minimum of 60 issues, that way a new status quo can be established, we get some cool stories and then we get our beloved character back in 5 years.

I am really glad to read an article from CBR that is critiquing the state of the comic book industry. I think about what it would have been like to read Uncanny X-Men 137 in that moment and how it probably changed its readers perspective. Fast Forward to today and I doubt there is anyone who is going to be moved by this comic in the same way. Also, don't you think there is a correlation to the poor sales of Wolverine presently and the fact that his death has been advertised for so long? Why would anyone read his present comic knowing that he is going to die in 4 months? Its all so stupid and illogical. I almost feel like Marvel wants the paper comic book aspect of the industry to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by NateDizzy View Post
    Kind of reminds of when Batman "died". While I did enjoy the whole "who is going to take over as Batman" story, I knew it wasn't going to count for anything. The same thing is going to happen when Wolverine eats it.
    That event led to Morrison's batman and robin series, one of the best things ever, so if wolverines temporary removal leads to some
    great storytelling, than so be it.

Announcing the death of Wolverine makes all the sense in the world. Holding back - and leaving sales on the table in the process - in the name of "surprising" readers would be a dumb move, profiting no one. Sometimes it is best to surprise readers - as when Doc Ock switched places with Peter Parker - but this is not such an occasion. Announcing Wolverine's death in advance makes this a storyline that non or lapsed comic readers will be more likely to get into at the start rather than if it was discovered after the fact and surely that's exactly what Marvel is hoping for.

I personally prefer reading 5 stories about wolverine's death than even one about quentin quire.

True fandom is built from the ground up
    I just really like that line.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona