Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - May 28, 2014

Brett loved the latest X-Men film, but he still highlights two seriously big problems that do need to be addressed for the next installment.

Full article here.

I think Singer is all but confirmed to direct AoA. The only way he would be taken off the film is if those allegations turned into an actual conviction.

As for diversity? There's not a lot of hope there either. Supposedly the next movie is bringing back Prof X, Magneto, Wolverine, Beast, Mystique and Quicksilver while recasting Cyclops, Jean and Storm as youngsters (teens? I dunno). Looks like we'll get one person of color (does Mystique having blue skin and Jean being a ginger count as diversity?). I just hope Storm, Scott and Jean aren't so underwritten this time around.
    Last edited by NateDizzy; 05-28-2014 at 04:05 PM.

We all expected it to be a train wreck? Speak for yourself my friends, myself, and plenty of posters here all expected this movie to be awesome.

As far as Singer you inadvertently hit a key point. "Internet makes it impossible for individuals with shady habits to remain hidden, especially if those individuals are given control of a billion-dollar film franchise." Funny how these guys search for justice wasn't so important when Singer movies like Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer were flopping. I'm always a innocent until proven guilty guy but I am especially suspicious of people who sit on their search for justice until their case becomes the most financially beneficial. And yes I know sometimes rape victims wait years to reveal what happened to them but it's just a little too convenient for me that they got over it just in time to beat the statute of limitation and cash in on Singer's first big pay day in a long time.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 05-28-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    We all expected it to be a train wreck? Speak for yourself my friends, myself, and plenty of posters here all expected this movie to be awesome.

As far as Singer you inadvertently hit a key point. "Internet makes it impossible for individuals with shady habits to remain hidden, especially if those individuals are given control of a billion-dollar film franchise." Funny how these guys search for justice wasn't so important when Singer movies like Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer were flopping. I'm always a innocent until proven guilty guy but I am especially suspicious of people who sit on their search for justice until their case becomes the most financially beneficial. And yes I know sometimes rape victims wait years to reveal what happened to them but it's just a little too convenient for me that they got over it just in time to beat the statute of limitation and cash in on Singer's first big pay day in a long time.
    I don't know whether not not the allegations are true, but as a gay man living in Los Angeles, I can tell you the knowledge and rumors of Singer's house parties have been rampant for years. I have not been, though invited, and I do know friends who've gone, and the all you here is, "Singer sure does like his young boys", or some such other comments. Again, that doesn't mean the allegations are true, but there are prior insinuations to the behavior. As for timing, Singer has been a wealthy man for years now, whether or not he's had a bonafide hit in a while. It seems to me that the timing is based on opportunity, 1.) possible statue of limitations, and 2.) the release of the film and the press Singer is getting can shed more light onto the individual and create pressure. A tactic, yes, but also if true, a needed spotlight for the accusers. Again, who knows. Sometimes rumors are just rumors.

I feel like I'm in the minority here regarding the film, I wasn't a fan.

It again only really focused on the Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine, with a splash of Mystique.

The Sentinels, the giant originals, were under utilized.

If part of the resoloution was that Magneto was "as good as dead" in the 70's, then was he really around to try to abduct Rogue? If not, what brought Logan and Rogue to the Xmen to begin with? I guess any number of paths could lead here, as fate, but still.

Xavier's body was destoyed in Last Stand, his consciousness was in a comatose body. How was his original body returned? Shiar technology? lol... did he take psychically take control of the comatose body, and make everyone believe they were seeing his past physical form?

Since when can Kitty send consciousnesses back in time? Or, anywhere for that matter? If you don't want to introduce Rachel Summers, as that could get muddy, at least let Charles do that...
    I don't know, am I being nitpicky? I just feel that Singer and Kinsberg weren't creative enough to tell a story within the confines of the existing characters. So, then, why make this an Xmen movie? Make it something else. If you're going to bake an effort to correct errors, don't make more of your own, at least make some sense.

I'm not a stickler, I can stray from continuity, but at least use the characters properly, or what's the point in having them if you're not using the traits that make them popular to begin with? I loved First Class, aside from the Logan cameo, it was a GREAT re-boot. They had a good thing going with Vaughn, then Singer came back and mucked it up. I hope they can get Vaughn back at some point. Maybe I need to see it again with lower expectations?

(oh, btw... that Nixon was laughable

There ends my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A.Pratt View Post
    Since when can Kitty send consciousnesses back in time? Or, anywhere for that matter? If you don't want to introduce Rachel Summers, as that could get muddy, at least let Charles do that...
    I don't know, am I being nitpicky? I just feel that Singer and Kinsberg weren't creative enough to tell a story within the confines of the existing characters.
    Overall I did enjoy the movie, but yes, what is up with Kitty's random new power? She can phase through objects, not phase minds through time. That definitely bugged me. Also, if Erik spent the last ~decade in plastic prison, how did he get so strong? In First Class it was a major accomplishment that he lifted the submarine; in DoFP he can just casually haul around a stadium while controlling a pack of sentinels. Charles is rusty from not using his powers; shouldn't Erik also be rusty?

I loved First Class, aside from the Logan cameo, it was a GREAT re-boot.
    As much as I'm tired of All Wolverine All The Time, I really liked his cameo. I thought the placement/timing of it really worked.

The comment about Bryan Singer seems pretty homophobic. Do we really believe that people don't throw parties with sexual intent? Furthermore, not only is it naive to believe people who do hook up don't offer professional favors, but also this assumption discredits peoples careers such as Shawn Ashmore. Besides, no one seems to complain that Helena Bonham Carter is in every Burton movie since they hooked up. Also, when did age become an issue in Hollywood, what about Kristen Stewart and Rupert Sanders or Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher or even goddamn Han Solo. We even have a history of throwing Oscars at Woody Allen and Roman Polanski. The guys who supposedly hooked up with Singer were maybe 17 although that time frame according to receipts and other documentation shows evidence he wasn't around. Also, they went to these supposedly parties with the desire of hooking up with somebody to further their careers. Who is using who in this set up? Do we really think that Hollywood celebrities are incapable of hooking up with people of any gender without offering some type of job followed with a handful of ruffies, really? This is the same shit they tried pulling on Singer back when he did Apt Pupil. and the reality is that homosexuality still makes the general audience feel "icky", and homophobes will attack them any way they can even it's all based on hearsay from message forums.

They had a good thing going with Vaughn, then Singer came back and mucked it up. I hope they can get Vaughn back at some point. Maybe I need to see it again with lower expectations?

(oh, btw... that Nixon was laughable

There ends my rant.
    You do realize Vaughn (and Goodman, who helped write the screenplay for First Class with Vaughn) played a role in writing the plot of DOFP. And that Singer did some of the writing for the plot of First Class. Singer only had a directorial credit for DOFP, so yea, blame Vaughn, Goodman, or Kinberg for all the stupid things in DOFP with regards to plot.

Now for my thoughts on the article, so what if Singer is a sexual deviant? And I believe in innocent until proven guilty, so until a judge says Singer had sex with a minor, really could not care. He sure as hell wouldn't be the first person in Hollywood to convince young, attractive, gullible people into sleeping with him, as shameless as that may be. Plus I agree it's too well timed, honestly it could've been due to advice of the person's lawyer, but still just beating the statue of limitation and when a high profile movie bound to make millions is about to release, it seems all too well planned. Plus the media loves to watch people fall, so I take all this crap with a grain of salt.

. Do I understand why people are tired of the whole Logan, Prof. X, and Magneto dynamic? Yes I do. Did I enjoy FC and DOFP regardless, yep. The thing with adding diversity to it, so that most of the main stay X-Men have been white, they may have been from different cultures, but still white. Obviously you have Storm, Bishop, Sunspot, Warpath, Forge, M, Moonstar, and plenty of others, but Storm is the most high profile of them all. So that's the issue, including the characters with the biggest fan bases and who some consider to embody the team, like Beast, and Cyclops, and Jean, while adding diversity with other not as well known characters, like M. Plus it's hard to play up 5 different characters' cultural heritage in a 2.5 hour long movie, without side tracking from the plot. Regardless we'll see, I enjoyed DOFP and some of the messages towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Seedyreview View Post
    The comment about Bryan Singer seems pretty homophobic. Do we really believe that people don't throw parties with sexual intent? Furthermore, not only is it naive to believe people who do hook up don't offer professional favors, but also this assumption discredits peoples careers such as Shawn Ashmore. Besides, no one seems to complain that Helena Bonham Carter is in every Burton movie since they hooked up. Also, when did age become an issue in Hollywood, what about Kristen Stewart and Rupert Sanders or Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher or even goddamn Han Solo. We even have a history of throwing Oscars at Woody Allen and Roman Polanski. The guys who supposedly hooked up with Singer were maybe 17 although that time frame according to receipts and other documentation shows evidence he wasn't around. Also, they went to these supposedly parties with the desire of hooking up with somebody to further their careers. Who is using who in this set up? Do we really think that Hollywood celebrities are incapable of hooking up with people of any gender without offering some type of job followed with a handful of ruffies, really? This is the same shit they tried pulling on Singer back when he did Apt Pupil. and the reality is that homosexuality still makes the general audience feel "icky", and homophobes will attack them any way they can even it's all based on hearsay from message forums.
    Hey... You do realize that Brett's gay, right? I mean, I don't want to say that people can't internalize prejudice about themselves, but Brett definitely seemed to come from a place that was in solidarity with LGBT people in the industry. Regardless of orientation, I'd say predators are a bad thing!

Anyways, I pretty much agree with everything Brett had to say. On the issue of director, if Singer's allegations weren't bad enough, I'd also say its kind of relevant that next few X-flicks seem to be period pieces. I thought Matthew Vaughn did a good job of creating a really nice period feel, if it was kind of inaccurate. Singer does an okay job breaking away from the Dark Drabby aesthetic his other X-movies had here, but it still didn't feel 100% invested in the period. (See: the boring modern looking Sentinels of 1973.)

But I think both Singer and Vaughn have been kind of weird about women and minorities in their movies! I think the fact that Singer was focused so hard on the LGBT allegory of the X-Men as opposed to the race factor meant that we kind of saw minorities get shafted in his films, not to mention the fact that his women were de-emphasized. Vaughn had his weirdly reductive and sexual portrayals of Emma Frost and Moira McTaggert and Angel. And then all of his minority characters either died or switched sides by the end of the film! I think what the X-Men movies need is someone who is very conscious of their message of struggling for inclusion and equality.

Lawrence did so much to make Mystique as great as she is in the comics in these movies, so elevating her is a no-brainer. If they want to keep focusing on Wolverine long beyond Jackman's viability in the role, why not introduce Laura Kinney and Daken? And it would insane not to introduce Dazzler in their 80s-focused movie, Apocalypse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koshiba View Post
    Overall I did enjoy the movie, but yes, what is up with Kitty's random new power? She can phase through objects, not phase minds through time. That definitely bugged me. Also, if Erik spent the last ~decade in plastic prison, how did he get so strong? In First Class it was a major accomplishment that he lifted the submarine; in DoFP he can just casually haul around a stadium while controlling a pack of sentinels. Charles is rusty from not using his powers; shouldn't Erik also be rusty?

As much as I'm tired of All Wolverine All The Time, I really liked his cameo. I thought the placement/timing of it really worked.
    Yeah, I really think it'd be great if some others took control of this franchise. DOFP was an OK movie but that was it. Also, so many little mistakes that are annoying as well (Prof X in his same body; how does Magneto haul a mostly concrete stadium around when it's weight would make it crumble, etc). I really though Last Stand was one of the worst movies ever so I guess DOFP is somewhat of an improvement.

Hopefully someone else gets to put together Age of Apocalypse. Singer et al are kinda done.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    If they want to keep focusing on Wolverine long beyond Jackman's viability in the role, why not introduce Laura Kinney and Daken? And it would insane not to introduce Dazzler in their 80s-focused movie, Apocalypse.
    Introducing Laura would be a great idea. You get to keep Wolverine (kind of), but you add another girl to the cast!

Quote Originally Posted by Seedyreview View Post
    Besides, no one seems to complain that Helena Bonham Carter is in every Burton movie since they hooked up.
    Maybe because those movie aren't very good and don't have the cult following that comic book movies do. Maybe it's just be, but I have zero interest in any Burton film or Johnny Depp movies as a matter of fact.

If part of the resoloution was that Magneto was "as good as dead" in the 70's, then was he really around to try to abduct Rogue? If not, what brought Logan and Rogue to the Xmen to begin with? I guess any number of paths could lead here, as fate, but still.
    He said he was "as good as dead" if Xavier left him to the US government, but Xavier allowed him to go free. At least that was my take.

Xavier's body was destoyed in Last Stand, his consciousness was in a comatose body. How was his original body returned? Shiar technology? lol... did he take psychically take control of the comatose body, and make everyone believe they were seeing his past physical form?
    What I've read is that at the end of Last Stand, Xavier has transfer his consciousness to the body of his brain dead twin. They had an end scene of Last Stand that you hear is voice and Moira McTaggart says, "Charles" or something like that. It's easy to forget because I'm sure a lot of us don't go back a revisit Last Stand.

This was more of a homage to Kitty since in the comic version of DOFP, it's Kitty who goes back in time.

I loved First Class, aside from the Logan cameo, it was a GREAT re-boot.
    As much as I'm sick of Wolverine, I loved the cameo. Just enough for a laugh and I was so glad they didn't use him in First Class.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    and it would insane not to introduce dazzler in their 80s-focused movie, apocalypse.
    this. Soo much.

Bring back Wolverine, Havok, Storm and introduce Psylocke and Dazzler and you almost have the Outback X-Men.
    How about Alex?