View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
562. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

17 3.02%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

10 1.78%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

16 2.85%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

31 5.52%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

27 4.80%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

30 5.34%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

31 5.52%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

51 9.07%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

32 5.69%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

79 14.06%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

43 7.65%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

16 2.85%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

26 4.63%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

36 6.41%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

117 20.82%
Page 641 of 704 FirstFirst ... 141541591631637638639640641642643644645651691 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,615 of 10546

Magdalene Visaggio is making her Marvel debut! If I'm not mistaken, she might be the first openly trans woman to write for Marvel. Certainly one of the first. She'll be doing a story in the Secret Empire: Brave New World anthology. Visaggio's great, you should definitely check out Kim & Kim (and I need to get around to Quantum Teens Are Go!).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Magdalene Visaggio is making her Marvel debut! If I'm not mistaken, she might be the first openly trans woman to write for Marvel. Certainly one of the first. She'll be doing a story in the Secret Empire: Brave New World anthology. Visaggio's great, you should definitely check out Kim & Kim (and I need to get around to Quantum Teens Are Go!).
    Good news! I heard she'd been having a rough time of it lately. Hopefully the exposure will be of help.

This Week's Comics: Iceman #2, America #4, Star Trek: Boldly Go #9, Flutter v. 2, Black #5

Magdalene Visaggio is making her Marvel debut! If I'm not mistaken, she might be the first openly trans woman to write for Marvel.
    Lilah Sturges had written for Thor: Season One in late 2013 (before her announcement). I fondly remember playing Mafia with Lilah and a bunch of Fables fans on the Fabletown forums in the late 00's. She was an incredible sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    It's way too cliché. And it's the only FACET that gets represented. Oh look another gay character that is effeminate and lusting after a straight alpha male. At this point we can make a list of top 100 effeminate gays who lusted after alpha male straights.
    That's true, and I'm not saying it wasn't the best representation. Just that it wasn't exactly a poor showing. Though, I'm not gonna agree that Disney should be getting as high a praise. I have a lot of problems when it comes to Disney's representation of minorities.

And yayyy!!! I'm so excited for Magdalene. And she'll be tackling the big name characters too. That's really exciting.
    I like guys, comics, and traveling. // follow me @ nickmadmen
    “Sure, this will probably end up being another in a long line of emotionally crippling misadventures,
    but let's try to have some fun along the way.”
    ― Brian K. Vaughan, Y: The Last Man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I believe someone who works on AOS said he wasn't on the season 3 finale because he wasn't available, and looking at his IMDB page, it seems like he is a quite busy actor, so I guess that got in the way of him getting a bigger part as well. Unfortunately, it seems like the show just dropped him completely.
    I'm glad to hear that it was actor availability that led to Joey's current absence. That suggests they'll at least try to make use of him again down the road. I was afraid they'd just dropped him once their whole "Secret Warriors" arc was over.

Mighty Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I'm glad to hear that it was actor availability that led to Joey's current absence. That suggests they'll at least try to make use of him again down the road. I was afraid they'd just dropped him once their whole "Secret Warriors" arc was over.
    People have been saying that this season of AOS will probably be the last, although people have said that about AOS before. Either way though I doubt they'd bring Joey back, he was always a minor character.

At least Hogarth will be back in The Defenders. But I want more LGBT characters in the Marvel Netflix shows.

I haven't mentioned it before since it's not very relevant to this thread but since we're talking about LGBT characters in mainstream movies; apparently the trailer for Charlize Theron's "Atomic Blonde" action movie shows her kissing another woman. I haven't seen the trailer myself but I did think it sounded like it'll probably be more like "girl-on-girl" titillation than real substantive representation, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I haven't mentioned it before since it's not very relevant to this thread but since we're talking about LGBT characters in mainstream movies; apparently the trailer for Charlize Theron's "Atomic Blonde" action movie shows her kissing another woman. I haven't seen the trailer myself but I did think it sounded like it'll probably be more like "girl-on-girl" titillation than real substantive representation, but I guess that remains to be seen.
    Actually, I get the impression that it'll be treated like most action-movie romances. There's a moment near the end of the trailer where Theron's character is stroking the other woman's face. So, yeah, hot girl-on-girl sex scene, but steamy sex scenes are pretty common in action movies, so no real reason to be more restrained just because it's two girls. And a bisexual protagonist is still a pretty damn big deal.

Actually, I get the impression that it'll be treated like most action-movie romances. There's a moment near the end of the trailer where Theron's character is stroking the other woman's face. So, yeah, hot girl-on-girl sex scene, but steamy sex scenes are pretty common in action movies, so no real reason to be more restrained just because it's two girls. And a bisexual protagonist is still a pretty damn big deal.
    If it's true that the main character is legitimately bisexual and not just seducing a woman for a mission than yeah; that'll be real representation.

Fantastic Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It's way too cliché. And it's the only FACET that gets represented. Oh look another gay character that is effeminate and lusting after a straight alpha male. At this point we can make a list of top 100 effeminate gays who lusted after alpha male straights.
    To say that it's the ONLY facet of gay men that is represented in the media is a gross exaggeration. If you search for enough LGBTQ content, you'll find various different kinds of gay men on multiple TV shows, movies, comic books, etc. The thing with Disney, though, is that they wanted to have a gay character without actually discussing homosexuality on any level, so it wouldn't exactly be very efficient to put a gay guy who looks like any other straight guy in the movie. It wouldn't catch anyone's eye and everyone would just assume he was straight. So LeFou had to had a ''gay characteristic'' to make him stand out. I'm not saying it's the best way to represent, but like I said before, we all gotta start somewhere.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-21-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Fantastic Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So, Iceman is getting two issues in June, which is surprising. The delay sucks, but it's also fitting that it will debut on Pride Month... Also, solicitation for issue #2 confirms he'll talk to Kitty Pryde about guys.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-21-2017 at 01:14 PM.

To say that it's the ONLY facet of gay men that is represented in the media is a gross exaggeration. If you search for enough LGBTQ content, you'll find various different kinds of gay men on multiple TV shows, movies, comic books, etc. The thing with Disney, though, is that they wanted to have a gay character without actually discussing homosexuality on any level, so it wouldn't exactly be very efficient to put a gay guy who looks like any other straight guy in the movie. It wouldn't catch anyone's eye and everyone would just assume he was straight. So LeFou had to have a ''gay characteristic'' to make him stand out. I'm not saying it's the best way to represent, but like I said before, we all gotta start somewhere.
    Not really. Maybe now (past few years) you find more representation but historically, it's cliché representations like this one.

I agree though that since its a Disney movie classic, it gets a pass, but if they're patting themselves in the back over it, well that's underserved.

Anyway, Iceman solo is out! I wonder if they're gonna do an LGBTQ variant cover for it? They should! It could be advertised at the June parades.

So, Iceman is getting two issues in June, which is surprising. The delay sucks, but it's also fitting that it will debut on Pride Month... Also, solicitation for issue #2 confirms he'll talk to Kitty Pryde about guys.
    Which, honestly, strikes me as a bad idea. I mean, has Bobby looked at Kitty's romantic history? It's, uh, not great. Unless Bobby's looking for advice on The Worst Possible Guys To Date, maybe he should talk to someone else.

I love Kitty. I really do. She's one of my favourite characters. But the girl has terrible taste in men.

Which, honestly, strikes me as a bad idea. I mean, has Bobby looked at Kitty's romantic history? It's, uh, not great. Unless Bobby's looking for advice on The Worst Possible Guys To Date, maybe he should talk to someone else.

I love Kitty. I really do. She's one of my favourite characters. But the girl has terrible taste in men.
    Well to be fair, who in the Marvel universe DOESN'T suck at relationships?

Well to be fair, who in the Marvel universe DOESN'T suck at relationships?
    Peter Par- damn. Matt Mur- damn. Patsy Walk- damn! Scott Sum- dammit!

Jokes aside, if he's looking for advice on finding guys: Dani Moonstar's had a couple good relationships with good guys. Betsy's actually had as many good relationships as bad ones, and that's even without counting the off-panel ones, of which there's probably a few. Rahne, of all people. Angelica Jones. If he's willing to ask outside the X-Men - which he should, because the X-Men are terrible at relationships - then Jan would probably be a fantastic choice to show him how to get guys.

But Kitty . . . I mean, come on. Pete Wisdom? Peter Quill? Bobby himself? Colossus was OK, but even then, it started when she was 13 and he was 19. Which is deeply screwed up. And hell, they were only actually together for a short time before she effectively died.

Oh, Bobby could also ask Illyana for help. She knows how to attract guys, after all (even if I remain convinced she's a lesbian who always engaged in performative heterosexuality as part of a desperate need to feel normal). But mostly, I just figure there's no way it wouldn't turn out hilariously bad.