View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
548. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

16 2.92%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

10 1.82%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

16 2.92%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

30 5.47%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

27 4.93%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

29 5.29%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

30 5.47%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

49 8.94%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

31 5.66%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

77 14.05%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

40 7.30%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

16 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

25 4.56%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

36 6.57%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

116 21.17%
Page 664 of 667 FirstFirst ... 164564614654660661662663664665666667 LastLast
Results 9,946 to 9,960 of 9999
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by storydove View Post
    It says in the link Anduinel posted, first sentence.

And I think it might show a change at Marvel.
    But all the other links like the official announcement at marvel.com say it's a live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    But all the other links like the official announcement at marvel.com say it's a live action.
    Yeah, just checked:
    https://news.marvel.com/tv/63421/fre...-new-warriors/

"Find out who made the cast of Marvel Television's first live action comedy and see custom comic art!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think Loki is really a good comparison. I think if it was a female character on the same situation(super popular and famous, bi so they can focus on hetero relationships if they want, on the movies instead of TV), Marvel would be doing the same, like FOX always did with Mystique. But yay for the New Warriors girl! Never heard of her on the comics though, and apparently she's not out as gay there...
    I don't know... with Mystique, at least they showed her taking on male forms multiple times. I'm not sure Marvel even has the guts to play with Loki's gender a little. I'm not defending FOX's portrayal of Raven, though, because I would have taken a relationship with Destiny over that bland ass teen romance with Beast ANY. FREAKING. DAY.

My mistake. It's still great although it doesn't seem as groundbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Fox are definitely getting better. They have had Storm since day one and they've been working on their representation, you really have to admit that one way or the other. The upcoming series has a main cast that features numerous people of color, of different races, at that. There's also that New Mutants is coming up and there's very little chance that Sunspot and Mirage are going to go into the film and not be developed. The cast is only six characters, it'll be much easier to develop them than otherwise.

And the fact that Iceman is an lgbt character is a big thing in and of itself as well. It's only a matter of time before he is reintroduced into these films, and they aren't going to get away with not making him gay. Gripe about all of the X-Men movies all that you want, but the fact of the matter is that unless the Spider-Man movies end up making Zendaya's character a lesbian, we probably aren't going to get any MCU representation there.

It's definitely more likely it's going to come from the X-Men or from Black Cat/Silver Sable.
    Fox is not getting better, at least with the movies. They have gotten worse in regards to the movies. The First Class trilogy did a worse job, when it comes to diversity, than the original trilogy did. The TV shows are better? Yeah, cool, and Marvel's TV shows have been better about diversity than the movies, too. But the movies still suck at diversity. Especially the X-Men movies. At least New Mutants will actually have POC characters with personalities. That'll be a new thing for the X-Men movies. Still no LGBTQ+ representation, of course, because Hollywood is still run by homophobic douchebags who are terrified of the idea of losing money from other homophobic douchebags.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spider-Man movies had a minor supporting character be openly gay. Like I said, the people who made Homecoming clearly cared a great deal about diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Still no LGBTQ+ representation, of course, because Hollywood is still run by homophobic douchebags who are terrified of the idea of losing money from other homophobic douchebags.
    As far as international market goes, there are still many places in Europe, Asia and Africa and even in hardcore left leaning countries that are less than welcoming of gays And trans. The fact that America already has given gays/trans such good rights and continues doing so is a blessing that I highly doubt the vast majority of countries can say the same about, let alone outdoing America in these rights. So even if Hollywood wasn't run by "homophobic douchebags", gays and trans characters would not increase to an off the charts projection.

That's mostly movies though. Tv shows are a different beast. They allow more representation and freedom than movies because they're usually not sent out within a timeframe on a global scale like movies. In the mcu for example, the tv shows also recieve less buzz and hype than the movies.

So I'm not surprised that if Marvel does do more major gay representation it will more than likely happen more often in the shows than the movies. After all, wasn't one of the first gay characters in the mcu in a tv show?

Also, off topic side bit, and perhaps it's because I wasn't so heavy on American culture, but I always found the term "person of color" weird because we are all colors, even white people are just varying shades of "pink". I also find it odd how at one point it only referred to african americans than someone decided to use it as an umbrella term. But I digress since I mostly hear this from Americans.

All in all, I've learned to not care about movie representation, it is what it is. But the tv shows are more promising.

I feel like after Deadpool, it's become much easier for big studios to say ''screw you'' to some countries and do what they genuinely want to be done in a movie. And Deadpool turned out to be more succesful than all of the other ''by the books'' Marvel movies FOX has ever made. It's very clear that you can get some pleasant surprises if you're willing to DARE to step outside of the box. I mean, even Kevin Feige recently praised FOX for how they broke those barriers and how it worked for them. So if the success of Deadpool is anything to go by, I think we might be seeing a change in the movie industry landscape for the next years, where creative freedom is more valued while pleasing international markets becomes more and more obsolete. Does this mean LGBTQ representation will improve right away? Probably not. We're probably going to take longer to reach a point where we can say this representation is ideal and everything we've hoped for, but we do have some place to start, which is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    An LGBT character died this week.
    Yeah, that surprised and disappointed me too. But given the circumstances around that death, I highly doubt it will be permanent.

The Week In Gay!

Silk #19 did show the wedding of supporting characters Lola and Rafferty. It was only a single page, but it was sweet. (And no matter what Cindy said, there was definitely an archery competition. Artist Tana Ford also confirmed on Twitter that they got a cat. And while this thread is for appreciating characters, I do want to once again express my appreciation for Tana Ford, a queer artist who taught herself to draw less than 10 years ago, so she could put out Duck!, her first graphic novel, a queer story she wanted to see told. I think she deserves some recognition and appreciation.)

keeploving (2).jpg

Ms. Marvel #17 has Zoe being made fun of over her leaked love letters to Nakia, so there's a group hug. Your heart will be warmed.

hardtobekind (2).jpg

compassionnorm (2).jpg

USAvengers #5 has a really nice scene between Aikku and Toni, as Aikku expresses concern for Toni's constant work on her Rescue armour. It's a good scene. They have a good chemistry. Aikku is cute.

As noted earlier, Man-Killer, a minor villain, died in Thunderbolts #12. Of course, she's a villain. so it's not like any writer will sweat it if they want to use her. "How'd she survive? Who cares?"

Secret Empire #0 (and holy hell is the "#0" concept ever stupid) has Quasar get eaten by a space whale. Presumably, she'll be OK.

Royals #2 has Swain, you know, there. And still cool, even if she doesn't get to do much.

Star-Lord #6 has Peter's abs. Including a shower panel. Also, Brand being Brand. (Kris Anka books always count in this thread, I say.)
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 04-20-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Veteran Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Anole appears in the preview of Generation X and while his arms and hands look pretty big his entire body isn't massive like it was in Apocalypse Wars.

Star-Lord #6 has Peter's abs. Including a shower panel.
    I didn't think I would ever say that, but I'm not 100 % on board with how Peter was sexualized in this book.

The shower panel, for instance: it's on a page where Peter remembers the moment when Daredevil confirmed that ___ had just died. Showing characters under the shower in this kind of situation is common, but I didn't find the juxtaposition of a sad memory and a panel that basically says LOOK AT HIM HE'S SO DREAMY to be particularly effective.
    Same with the moment when he wakes up after his nightmare, at the beginning of the issue. Peter is handsome, Anka draws the best abs and Matt Wilson enhances his art even more, but it's difficult to feel Peter's distress when the panel mainly invites you to check out his abs.
    The scene with Logan and his robe was fun, though (even if the short fight with Logan felt gratuitous and seemed to happen just to have an action scene somewhere in the issue).

Veteran Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

James Gunn is now hinting that there might be a gay character in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

http://www.newnownext.com/guardians-...-gunn/04/2017/

when asked by the Press Association if he’d ever consider working a gay protagonist into the Guardians universe.

“Absolutely. I would love to be able to,” he told reporters at the movie’s world premiere in Hollywood. “We might have already done that. I say watch the movie. Check it out. See what you think.”

We "might" have already done that? Sounds like more gay-baiting breadcrumbs.

Ms. Marvel #17 has Zoe being made fun of over her leaked love letters to Nakia, so there's a group hug. Your heart will be warmed.
    hardtobekind (2).jpg
    God, Nakia. That's NOT the best way to comfort someone who likes you if you don't feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    James Gunn is now hinting that there might be a gay character in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

when asked by the Press Association if he’d ever consider working a gay protagonist into the Guardians universe.

“Absolutely. I would love to be able to,” he told reporters at the movie’s world premiere in Hollywood. “We might have already done that. I say watch the movie. Check it out. See what you think.”

Sounds better than Feige's ''maybe one day we'll do it'' crumbs, tbh. I mean, would Gunn really make such a suggestion if there wasn't at least some gay subtext in the movie at all? He must know this will be held against him if nothing happens. I still find it pretty weird that they're making a whole movie about family and Moondragon is nowhere to be seen for Drax's storyline, so I'm hoping she (and maaaaybe Phyla) might appear in the movie after all. That'd be a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post

Yeah, it'll be, "If you squint really hard, this could maybe kinda potentially possibly be seen as gay, if you want to see it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    God, Nakia. That's NOT the best way to comfort someone who likes you if you don't feel the same.
    There may be no good way, under the circumstances, but I figure a hug actually might be the best way. A show of support and appreciation and caring.