Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Fantastic Four, #5

James Robinson and Leonard Kirk deliver a grand tour of the Marvel Universe and begin dealing with the ramifications of the assault on New York in "Fantastic Four" #3.

Full review here.

cue the WTF is up with the rating rants. Balanced slightly a few the book sucks posts.

Who even cares about ratings anymore? It's the sales that matters the most, right? As for the story, it does depicts events of the past pretty accurately in terms of atmosphere and illustration style, at the very least. Either way, I don't expect any kind of lasting effects from this run, especially with the new movie coming out next year. You just know they'll either give Johnny his powers back, or make Falcon join the team as the new Torch.

I've been getting back into comics after about 15-20 years, and FF was my favorite title. I loved this issue if only because of nostalgia. That, and after two or three universe reboots, it was nice to a book that acknowledges "yes, all of that still happened."

This was a solid issue that shows that no one is above consequence.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

BANNED

I liked this review. Covered the art and the story together, and there was a lot of art to cover. Even referenced a previous article / interview with Robinson. And four stars is fair. My only nit is that he didn't have anything to say about Derlis Santacruz's segment.

I really enjoyed this issue, and while some might call it filler, I think it was a great way to reference the past, and build (or deconstruct) toward the future. Really felt Robinson pulled everything together for this issue. I hate rotating artists, or worse, multiple artists in a book, but this one did with purpose and quite effectively. Doesn't hurt that it was quite a talented roster of artists.

This was a solid issue that shows that no one is above consequence.
    Which is an aspect I felt was interesting. Imagine the next event: "The Marvel U goes on Trial" and each issue is just every super hero team or character on the stand.
    We are a patchwork of miracles
    and an
    apocalypse dreaming of butterflies.

I don't think it shows that "no one" is above consequence. Which is part of the problem that makes it hard to buy into the premise of this issue. Where is Iron Man on trial? The Avengers? Heck, SHIELD has a billion dollar helicarrier blowing up over citizen's heads every other week. If the public outrage is truly meant to be so high-stakes, then these questions start to pop up, or it's not really supposed to be so high stakes, in which case, how long will we have to slog through this plot?

I don't have a problem with heroes running up against "real world" issues (heck, it's a Marvel tradition if you think about it) but I think this issue goes a little overboard by retaining it solely as it's focus and continuing the story on a path into a direction I'm not sure I want to see the FF in. The MORE real world that gets in focus, the less the FF can do something like, I don't know, save the world or fight bad guys or something.
    A Touch of Koan -- A Little Bit of the Moment of Hmmm
    Weekly Comic Book Review -- The Internet's Best Comic Book Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Wall View Post
    I don't think it shows that "no one" is above consequence. Which is part of the problem that makes it hard to buy into the premise of this issue. Where is Iron Man on trial? The Avengers? Heck, SHIELD has a billion dollar helicarrier blowing up over citizen's heads every other week. If the public outrage is truly meant to be so high-stakes, then these questions start to pop up, or it's not really supposed to be so high stakes, in which case, how long will we have to slog through this plot?

I don't have a problem with heroes running up against "real world" issues (heck, it's a Marvel tradition if you think about it) but I think this issue goes a little overboard by retaining it solely as it's focus and continuing the story on a path into a direction I'm not sure I want to see the FF in. The MORE real world that gets in focus, the less the FF can do something like, I don't know, save the world or fight bad guys or something.
    To me, it made sense why the FF was on trial because of the events of the last few issues - it seemed like the FF were putting people in danger with no enemy present, bringing enemies from some other dimension. Plus, that is what made the Thing car argument so good - it showed a moment of violence outside of saving the world.

However, my only qualm with this issue was about what the FF were on trial for. What were they accused of? It didn't seem like there was a clear charge...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young Avenger View Post
    To me, it made sense why the FF was on trial because of the events of the last few issues - it seemed like the FF were putting people in danger with no enemy present, bringing enemies from some other dimension. Plus, that is what made the Thing car argument so good - it showed a moment of violence outside of saving the world.

However, my only qualm with this issue was about what the FF were on trial for. What were they accused of? It didn't seem like there was a clear charge...
    Yeah, I couldn't figure out exactly what kind of legal process was going on. There was no jury and their was a lot of testimony about past incidents. If it were about the custody of the children, why bring out the story about the wrecked taxi cab? Usually a child custody case would be handled in family court or something like that. This was supposedly part of a civil case I guess and yet they had the authority to remove not on the children they Richards had assumed a guardian relationship with but their own child. I guess if Val wasn't with Doom they would have snatched her too and taken her to Camp Hammond.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-29-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

BANNED

I've always seen in that law works a bit differently in the Marvel Universe due to the existence of extraordinary beings and things unknown.

I find myself pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying Robinson's and Kirk's run so far. I really shouldn't be surprised because I've enjoyed a lot of Robinson's work so far from his Earth 2 run to All-New Invaders. Maybe it's because of how bad the title got between Hickman's run (which was great) to his run which is turning out to be just as original as Hickman's but in a different way. The handling of the court proceedings was a bit sloppy though we have to remember this is a comic-book court where Jennifer Walters slams a fist down and destroys a court table without reprimand yet seemed to be dealt with more harshly despite being correct in some of her objections. And in reality you'd figure Jennifer would have opposed those few incidents of endangering innocent civilians by presenting all the cases where the FF saved not just the planet but the universe itself. Cops endanger civilians everyday in shootouts and car chases but that doesn't discount all the people they help and save from the bad guys they arrest and catch in shootouts and car chases. If the court stops the FF from doing what they do what will they do the next time Galactus shows up wanting to eat the planet and there is no FF to stop him? Obviously what Robinson is doing is creating conflict for the heroes which makes for great storytelling. It's not interesting if everything goes the FF's way but is far more interesting if they struggle, I'm just surprised he didn't have Jennifer come up with a better defense especially given her close association with the FF over the years. She has first-hand knowledge of a lot of the times the FF saved NY, the world and the universe. They're not perfect but they're also not getting paid for what they do either.

Yeah, he really turned Jen into an ineffective counsel for the sake of his storytelling. I found myself more frustrated than anything reading this issue. Robinson is grossly confused on how the actual law would work in this vague "trial" thing we were presented with.
    The Namor section particularly irked me because Namor was, in fact, put on trial for his actions back in Byrne's 90s series. Which would have effectively shut the prosecutor up if Ms. Walters had mentioned it. Apart from the fact, the guy was intimating it was solely Reed's responsibility to "work with authorities and trap (trap?? Lolwhut? Lawyer says what?) Namor.
    Or that the destruction of Attilan was directly the FFs fault/responsibility because Johnny at one point was kissy face with Crystal when they were both minors.
    Or the prosecutor tossing the word "super villain" around for Dr. Doom when the guy is the legal ruler of his own damn country and recognized by the U.N. and yet that is also somehow the FFs fault.
    Or in general that the FF have never cooperated with authorities after ANY of the world saving incidents they've been embroiled in for the last 15 years(ish...Sliding Timescale rules in effect here) is highly unbelievable. Or that the FF hasn't had some kind of quasi-deputizational/consultational/jurisdictional relationship with the cops/military. If anything, they've got SHIELD clearance which gives them some legal mandate.
    And the previously established insurance statutes the FF has set up for collateral damage. Yeah, Ben's wrecked some cars in fights. That gets settled by the insurance and wouldn't be allowed as "evidence" in a separate...whatever this is(as has been stated, it's vague what the charges were).
    Just so many obvious places where Jen could've shut the prosecution down and didn't because Robinson needed it for the narrative.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This was supposedly part of a civil case I guess and yet they had the authority to remove not on the children they Richards had assumed a guardian relationship with but their own child. I guess if Val wasn't with Doom they would have snatched her too and taken her to Camp Hammond.
    It also bugs me a bit that the Future Foundation is basically a boarding school arrangement - okay, a few of the kids like Bentley might have nowhere else to go, but most of the others have parents and guardians who they should be returned to ahead of being taken into SHIELD custody. I mean, the story all makes sense if it's essentially a railroading that doesn't bear much resemblance to proper legal procedure, but if so that should be more obvious to Jen. She doesn't come off as a very good lawyer here, unfortunately.

The Thing and the Taxi Cab made me lol. Applying real world logic to comics, albeit for a limited moment, can still produce lulz.