Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Comic-Con Responds to Anti-Harassment Petition: "Safety and Security is a Major Concern"

David Glanzer, director of marketing and public relations for Comic-Con in San Diego, explains the show's "deliberately broad" anti-harassment policy.

Full article here.

While it seems this group has good intentions, it is unfair that it seems to be using SDCC as a means to raise awareness of itself when there is no sign that SDCC is not taking steps to protect attendees.

Bleh. I feel like they are going to need even more security, raising pricing on an already overpriced event.

That said, no one should be harrassed. Period.

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    While it seems this group has good intentions, it is unfair that it seems to be using SDCC as a means to raise awareness of itself when there is no sign that SDCC is not taking steps to protect attendees.
    How is it unfair exactly? There will be hundreds of thousands of people in attendance. Considering the current climate within the comics community, I think this is virtually inevitable. There's nothing wrong with holding organizations accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by afrocarter View Post
    How is it unfair exactly? There will be hundreds of thousands of people in attendance. Considering the current climate within the comics community, I think this is virtually inevitable. There's nothing wrong with holding organizations accountable.
    I believe what cranger was saying is that Comic Con already has what this petition is calling for them to get. The group chose to target Comic Con simply because it would bring the most attention to their cause. If they had targeted Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con, for example, no one would care.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I believe what cranger was saying is that Comic Con already has what this petition is calling for them to get. The group chose to target Comic Con simply because it would bring the most attention to their cause. If they had targeted Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con, for example, no one would care.
    If the writers of the petition knew that Comic Con had an anti-harassment policy, they wouldn't have created the petition in the first place. Furthermore, if this existing policy had been enacted effectively in the past, there wouldn't be any need for this petition in the present.

Ultimately, this petition is trying to ensure the safest space possible; nobody is trying to denigrate or throw any shade on Comic Con. The issue of harassment at conventions is real; Comic Con is the biggest convention.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that instead of being upset over how this may taint Comic Con's reputation (it doesn't), we should be upset over why this petition was even necessary in the first place.
    Last edited by afrocarter; 05-29-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Bleh. I feel like they are going to need even more security, raising pricing on an already overpriced event.

That said, no one should be harrassed. Period.
    It really pisses me off that there are some real jerks in this world that ruins it for the rest of us. What kind of scumbag harasses cosplayers ffs?

If the writers of the petition knew that Comic Con had an anti-harassment policy, they wouldn't have created the petition in the first place.

Did they ask? Or did they start a petition with bolded statements like this:

Comic Con has refused to create a full harassment policy.

And

But Comic Con San Diego -- the biggest and most prominent comic convention in the world – still has no published anti-harassment policy.

----------

Harassment is bad. I've told cosplayers I was talking to, "Hey, there's a guy about to take a picture of your butt." Behavior like that isn't cool. But it seems like they attacked first and asked questions later.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Did they ask? Or did they start a petition with bolded statements like this:

Comic Con has refused to create a full harassment policy.

And

But Comic Con San Diego -- the biggest and most prominent comic convention in the world – still has no published anti-harassment policy.

----------

Harassment is bad. I've told cosplayers I was talking to, "Hey, there's a guy about to take a picture of your butt." Behavior like that isn't cool. But it seems like they attacked first and asked questions later.
    Comic Con does address harassment in their Code of Conduct (less than a paragraph), but I think what is being requested is anti-harassment policy -- an explicit document -- that clearly defines what actions will not be tolerated, as well as the repercussions for said actions.

Again, demonizing Geeks of CONsent for starting a well-meaning petition is a fruitless exercise. It would be better to focus on the reason why the petition was launched in the first place: for (primarily) women & LBGTQ cosplayers, sexual assault/harassment is a common occurrence at conventions.

If the writers of the petition knew that Comic Con had an anti-harassment policy, they wouldn't have created the petition in the first place. Furthermore, if this existing policy had been enacted effectively in the past, there wouldn't be any need for this petition in the present.
    They could have easily checked if Comic Con had an anti harassment policy and the article even mentions you can find it on their website. All this group had to do was go onto the comic con website. It seems like they want their specific policy in place and by making it look like comic con has failed in some way it will make people join their cause more. If anything they should have read comic cons policy and then ask for anything to be added that they felt should be.

What I'm saying is that instead of being upset over how this may taint Comic Con's reputation (it doesn't), we should be upset over why this petition was even necessary in the first place.
    Sadly many guys are pathetic although I see this as kind of pointless because if you are stupid enough to think cosplay means consent you are too stupid read something this group puts out and go "she is right, I'll change from now on". Maybe some guys will change, but most of them will keep on being the same. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    Sadly many guys are pathetic although I see this as kind of pointless because if you are stupid enough to think cosplay means consent you are too stupid read something this group puts out and go "she is right, I'll change from now on". Maybe some guys will change, but most of them will keep on being the same. Sad really.
    Wait, what? Some guys are too stupid to change, therefore it's pointless to try and advocate for better policies? That's not a very good argument.

Comic Con does address harassment in their Code of Conduct (less than a paragraph), but I think what is being requested is anti-harassment policy -- an explicit document -- that clearly defines what actions will not be tolerated, as well as the repercussions for said actions.

Again, demonizing Geeks of CONsent for starting a well-meaning petition is a fruitless exercise. It would be better to focus on the reason why the petition was launched in the first place: for (primarily) women & LBGTQ cosplayers, sexual assault/harassment is a common occurrence at conventions.
    I think it's overeaching a bit to say sexual assault is common at comicons.

Comic Con does address harassment in their Code of Conduct (less than a paragraph), but I think what is being requested is anti-harassment policy -- an explicit document -- that clearly defines what actions will not be tolerated...
    DAVID GLANZER: "I think if you mean 'clearer,' [you mean] make it more specific. That certainly is something we could do, but I have to be honest with you: My concern is, the minute you start pointing out the types of harassment you don't allow, does that imply other types of harassment are allowed?"

And later . . .

"Our policy is deliberately broad, which we feels allows us more leeway in enforcing that policy. I think it's really important that cosplayers feel they have a safe environment. I think it's also very, very important that those who are disabled feel the same way. Same thing for anybody who feels that they are being singled out and treated in a manner that one would not expeco be treated. "Is this problematic?" I think that's something that this policy allows us to address. It isn't limited."

Reading his explanation, I'm not really sure what their beef with SDCC in particular is. They have a policy that essentially says there is zero tolerance with any form of harassment against anyone.
    Currently Reading: Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Gotham Academy, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder.
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Wait, what? Some guys are too stupid to change, therefore it's pointless to try and advocate for better policies? That's not a very good argument.
    Yes many guys are too stupid to change. Like I said some will, but for many guys if they are too stupid to not understand a costume does not mean consent how could they be smart enough to listen to this group and learn? That would be like someone saying "I thought someone leaving their bag unattended was consent for me to take it" When cons have these types of panels by groups like this is the room going to be filled with guys who harass women, but are willing to change their mind? I am guessing not, my guess would be the room is full of people who agree with the group or people who are interested in the topic. Maybe pointless wasn't the right word to use, perhaps I should have said something like it will not put a huge dent in the problem. A bigger solution to me would be to start telling parents to teach their young boys that harassment is wrong.

Considering how impossible it is to even get a badge for SDCC, I'm surprised they haven't had more safety problems from angry geeks trying to sneak into the convention.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman