Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,770

    Default FANTASY DRAFT: The Endless Possibilities of A Marvel Studios "X-Men"

    Brett White channels the Watcher (R.I.P.) and wonders "What if...?" Marvel Studios were to reacquire the film rights to the X-Men?


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    About the only advantage here is they *might* do something closer to the original Lee-Claremont runs of X-Men. But I feel like this notion that Marvel studios slavishly adapts the comic versus "those other studios" (said in a negative tone) is completely bogus. They cast Michael Douglas, an octogenarian, as a young thirty-something character named Hank Pym. They completely gutted and retold Iron Man's origins, and drastically altered the Avengers. They are not any more or less different than FOX's X-Men. FOX has done a good job, and frankly the X-Men have always felt like they live in a world unto themselves. That may have changed in the comics recently, but they're still having trouble explaining why mutants are hated and other powered guys are not. AvX only minorly rectified that. I'm happy with Singer's movies. I don't wish to see anything rebooted any time soon.

    Also many assertions in your article like Marvel's being more "fun" is speculative at best. I like X-Men, no I love X-Men...I may even have more X-Men comics than anyone working for this site (I have about 10,000 Marvel comics)...and I think the movies are spectacular.
    Last edited by ScottSummers; 05-30-2014 at 10:11 AM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I really don't understand why turning the X-Men movies (and the Spider-Man movies for that matter) would be helped by turning them into a 200 million dollar Saturday Night Live gag.

  4. #4
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    I really don't understand why turning the X-Men movies (and the Spider-Man movies for that matter) would be helped by turning them into a 200 million dollar Saturday Night Live gag.
    I won't go this far, but unless Marvel is planning on bringing Singer and company along, I'm simply not all that anxious.

    None of their films have a fraction of the depth the X-Men films have. Cap 2 came the closest and even that one, to me, was more of just a good ole'fashion action movie with just enough plot to make it seem more interesting than average. Great performances too.

    Compare that though to the depth of X-Men: Day of the Future Past and there's no comparison. X-Men sort of cheats, because at it's core the comic is far more meaningful than Cap, the Avengers, etc. But considering how much they watered down Norton-Hulk compared to the very underrated Ang Lee feature that also added a lot of depth, that to me doesn't speak very highly of their track record handling emotion-heavy characters and stories.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    710

    Default

    I really would like to see Marvel Studios produce some X-Men movies. X2 and First Class were very good but beside them the rest of the Fox movies are not on the same level of the Marvel Studio movies.

    If Marvel did acquire the rights, I would not want to see Magneto and Mystique. I get that they are iconic villains but I've already seen enough of them. They are supposed to be the X-Men, not Magneto and the X-Men.

    Though to be honest, the only X-Characters I really feel I need to see in the MCU are Wolverine and maybe Deadpool down the line.

  6. #6

    Default

    I read these articles, see that no one is interested in the original X-Men team, and get frustrated.

    Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Angel: these five have powers that are more than dazzling and powerful enough to make a film exciting. Do three films with them to develop them as characters, and use the fourth film to tell the Krakatoa story and introduce the all-new X-Men. The new cast can join those from the previous movies for three new films.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    29

    Default

    To be fair, the issue of bringing mutants into the MCU isn't that difficult a task in general if you work on the principle that they are largely fairly secretive and protective of their identities. Besides, we already have had mutants in all but name - the "Scorch" character that appeared in Agents of SHIELD was basically a mutant in all but name.

    Bringing the X-men over would be a bit more of a challenging proposition though, because you'd need to do it in such a way that you don't just appear to be rehashing ground that FOX already covered, but when people go to an X-men film they basically assume a certain number of things. I think you basically need Cyclops, Wolverine and Storm on the roster, but after that have a few more options - I'd probably go with a Ms-Marvel powered up outgoing Rogue as she wouldn't really be recognizable from X1-3 anyway, then Nightcrawler or Beast to give you the visible mutation angle. The last spot could go to more or less anyone, though I'm vaguely suggested to go with Psylocke as one of the the most prominent X-men who hasn't (properly) appeared on screen, has some distinctive visual effects going on in a fight, and would be a psychic without using Jean or Emma who have both already appeared.

    As to people defending FOX - they have made a lot right with DOFP, fixed up the timeline to negate them etc, but this is still the studio that made X-men 3 and Origins: Wolverine, which fall actively into the bad side of the equation vs. Marvels worst films only being mediocre. The main difference is that Marvel knows the value of their characters, whereas Fox largely struggles beyond Wolverine and Magneto and more recently Beast, Mystique and Xavier.

  8. #8
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    As to people defending FOX - they have made a lot right with DOFP, fixed up the timeline to negate them etc, but this is still the studio that made X-men 3 and Origins: Wolverine, which fall actively into the bad side of the equation vs. Marvels worst films only being mediocre. The main difference is that Marvel knows the value of their characters, whereas Fox largely struggles beyond Wolverine and Magneto and more recently Beast, Mystique and Xavier.
    This is the king of all overstatements and dripping, positively dripping with all sorts of bias.

  9. #9
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I read these articles, see that no one is interested in the original X-Men team, and get frustrated.

    Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Angel: these five have powers that are more than dazzling and powerful enough to make a film exciting. Do three films with them to develop them as characters, and use the fourth film to tell the Krakatoa story and introduce the all-new X-Men. The new cast can join those from the previous movies for three new films.
    That's because there isn't any, or it's relatively low and only confined to the few fans left who were alive, or old enough to remember X-Factor or the Kirby/Lee originals.

    No doubt they are a good team, but they are not diverse at all, and only represent a very small portion of X-Men stories, many of which have been essentially retconned out of existence.

    I have no idea why people seem intent on blaming FOX for making the movies Wolverine-centric. Maybe they should blame the fans. He doesn't have what? Four solo series is it now? Solo series in addition to them milking the crap out of a Death of Superman style event starring him. He's clearly above and beyond the most popular member. MARVEL would've made the same decision.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I agree. Wolverine was always going to be the main selling point no matter who did the X-Men movies. He was the only X-Man with any real world recognition before the animated series and definitely after.

    I always thought the original five X-Men would do better as a prequel television series. Aside from Ice-Man, the power sets would be fairly cheap to do. It's just a question of whether or not there would be any actual demand for it.

  11. #11
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KittenLord View Post
    I agree. Wolverine was always going to be the main selling point no matter who did the X-Men movies. He was the only X-Man with any real world recognition before the animated series and definitely after.

    I always thought the original five X-Men would do better as a prequel television series. Aside from Ice-Man, the power sets would be fairly cheap to do. It's just a question of whether or not there would be any actual demand for it.
    I have no doubt they could be made to work as a story. Kirby and Lee, Roy Thomas and a few others wrote enough good stories with them that there is potential or not, but, like you point out, where is the demand?

    The most important aspects of the X-Universe developed after Giant Sized, and honestly FOX has stuck to the story somewhat in regards to acknowledging Wolverine was far from being the first X-Man to have attended the school.

    As a Cyclops fan, sure I wish they would've made him the first student and devoted a ton of time to him. I just feel like many MARVEL fans project their on interpretations onto what they think MARVEL STUDIOS would do, and I'm not so sure. Like I mentioned above, it's pretty delusional to say that FOX [and SONY] have had any less or more reverence for the source material than MARVEL.

  12. #12
    Member Batmankoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Would I like to see X-Men in the MCU? Sure.

    Would I like to see this at the cost of losing McAvoy's Xavier and Fassbender's Magneto? Absolutely not.

    First Class and Days of Future Past were great movies, on par with the better movies that Marvel Studios have put out. Fox is in a position where they could potentially do a lot of great things in the wake of DoFP.

    Given the choice of an MCU X-Men movie or a Doctor Strange, Ms. Marvel, or Black Panther movie, I would take any of the latter options. I prefer the current studio rights arrangement if it means these characters have a chance to make it to the big screen along with the A-listers.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batmankoff View Post

    Given the choice of an MCU X-Men movie or a Doctor Strange, Ms. Marvel, or Black Panther movie, I would take any of the latter options. I prefer the current studio rights arrangement if it means these characters have a chance to make it to the big screen along with the A-listers.
    You hit on a very important point. I think a lot of people forget that Disney/Marvel only has so much money to spend. Yes, that number is very large, but still, there is a limit. No way would Disney take a chance on lesser known characters if they had access to the X-Men
    Last edited by NateDizzy; 05-30-2014 at 01:21 PM.

  14. #14
    I STAB AT THEE! BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    The Watcher is dead!?

    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #15
    BANNED ScottSummers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batmankoff View Post
    Would I like to see X-Men in the MCU? Sure.

    Would I like to see this at the cost of losing McAvoy's Xavier and Fassbender's Magneto? Absolutely not.

    First Class and Days of Future Past were great movies, on par with the better movies that Marvel Studios have put out. Fox is in a position where they could potentially do a lot of great things in the wake of DoFP.

    Given the choice of an MCU X-Men movie or a Doctor Strange, Ms. Marvel, or Black Panther movie, I would take any of the latter options. I prefer the current studio rights arrangement if it means these characters have a chance to make it to the big screen along with the A-listers.
    If MARVEL had X-Men and Spider-Man we would've NEVER gotten an AVENGERS movie. Maybe not a Cap and Thor movie. Maybe not Iron Man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •