Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Vampirella, #1

In FEAST OF SHADOWS, the first in the six-part OUR LADY OF SHADOWS story arc. Vampirella is sent by the Vatican to investigate the kidnapping of a little girl by Ethan Shroud and the Chaos cultists, only to become the centerpiece of a ritual invoking Lady Umbra, the sister-bride of Chaos, that leaves her marked as a living sacrifice to the dark goddess who rules the shadows. VAMPIRELLA is back and returns to her horror roots with Bram Stoker Award-winning author Nancy A. Collins (Swamp Thing, Sunglasses After Dark, Jason vs. Leatherface) and Patrick Berkenkotter (Avengers/Invaders, Red Sonja).

Full article here.

Looks good. Hoping to get back to good Vampi stories, after dropping Jerwa's rubbish. And this looks promising.

Hope they don't have Vampirella wearing boring normal clothes all through the run, though. If you're not going to draw skimpy and sexy, why draw Vampirella at all? Still, I had that very same concern at the beginning of the previous series, and it wasn't long before she was back to wearing next to nothing. As it should be.
    Virtue untested is innocence.

I really liked this. My only other exposure to Vampirella was the Southern Gothic miniseries which was kinda bland. I would happily make room in my pull list for a supernatural horror mystery title.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Cap' Jim we will miss you Power Torch's Avatar

Argg this looks good, I did not want to add more to my pull list, but looks like I better call my store. It looks great!
    "Sometimes it's nice being the Ghost. Save a life here, kill a demon there. It's a pretty good living."
    - Elisa Cameron; Ghost #7
    - Pulls:
    - Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight. Dynamite: Solar, Chastity. Valiant: Dr. Mirage Mini. Zenescope: Robyn Hood. IDW: Silent Hill Downpour Mini. Archie: The Shield(2015).
    - Original Join Date: Jun 2011

Looks pretty interesting. This might be my first comic outside of DC and Marvel

AKA davidgrantlloyd friendly-fire-press's Avatar

It looks pretty cool. I'll get the first issue and see if it grabs me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    If you're not going to draw skimpy and sexy, why draw Vampirella at all? Still, I had that very same concern at the beginning of the previous series, and it wasn't long before she was back to wearing next to nothing. As it should be.
    That's a really creepy sentiment; look at the current Red Sonja run - book covers aside, Sonja is usually depicted wearing practical clothing and the story is really strong. I've never read any Vampirella before, but having read #1, I don't see why she'd have to wear large amounts of skimpy clothing for this to be a good comic - as far as I can see, there's nothing inherent to her character about it. It's just pandering.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    That's a really creepy sentiment; look at the current Red Sonja run - book covers aside, Sonja is usually depicted wearing practical clothing and the story is really strong. I've never read any Vampirella before, but having read #1, I don't see why she'd have to wear large amounts of skimpy clothing for this to be a good comic - as far as I can see, there's nothing inherent to her character about it. It's just pandering.
    The pandering and fanservice is inherent. It's as much a part of her as Wolverine's claws. Its what defines her. Its who she is.

Vampirella is just one of those characters where if you don't like cheesecake, you don't like her.
    Virtue untested is innocence.

I dont really care what she is wearing I think the art was fantastic but overall the story is what is going to get me to keep buying this book. I thought the first issue was spot on. Really sets the stage for a good run here I think.

I will give this a couple more issues to see where it is going. The author promised more horror in her run, which made me interested. The set up was good in the first issue but it was much like the previous run. I am hoping for a different feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    The pandering and fanservice is inherent. It's as much a part of her as Wolverine's claws. Its what defines her. Its who she is.

Vampirella is just one of those characters where if you don't like cheesecake, you don't like her.
    As I said, I've never read her before, mostly because of the fanservice\pandering*, but I heard this run was being written by an established horror writer, so decided to give it a chance - I liked #1, and will certainly give it a few more issues.

I should note that I've no problem with sexualisation in comics, but only if it adds too (or at least doesn't distract from) from the story. A good example where I think it adds is Zenescope's Wonderland comics which retain a very strong story but have very sexualised art.

*It was the same with Red Sonja - I'd never read it until Gail Simone's current run. A noted feminist writer taking on a I previously knew only for it's fanservice. I've loved every issue of that & hope this goes a similar way.

BANNED

I liked the first two issues but I feel like it didn't provide enough information on Vampirella herself. How and why is she working for this Vatican group? How did she come to be where she is now? I don't think I should have to Wikipedia something that should have been made clear in the text. That being said, I like the feel of this book, especially the third-person narration. I like that she wears a trenchcoat in her daily life and reveals her costume during moments of action. I am not sure how I feel about the art, though. It seems a little...bland? I'll probably finish out the arc and reevaluate. I want to get into Vampirella, I like the idea of a female horror writer writing this book, and this seems like a good place to start.