Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Oh the movie's absolutely better, the acting, the budget, the effects, also the original was weighed down by the adult version just not being that good and a lot of kids part hasn't aged well(though some things like Georgie's photo album still hold up). Even Tim Curry was more entertaining than creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    So how does every think it does against the original mini-series version? I think it was better, but I also have always thought the made of tv one sucked so do not have same love for it others do.
    In most ways (acting, budget) the film version is superior.

The one thing the mini-series does that the movie can't is flesh things out more, because it's a mini series and it's got a bit more room to do stuff. A movie has to jam everything it can in under 2 hours, so it can't touch on as much as a mini series.

But overall I liked the movie a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Oh the movie's absolutely better, the acting, the budget, the effects, also the original was weighed down by the adult version just not being that good and a lot of kids part hasn't aged well(though some things like Georgie's photo album still hold up). Even Tim Curry was more entertaining than creepy.
    I also found Curry more entertaining then creepy, but I know he horrified many people I still cannot understand how he was scary to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In most ways (acting, budget) the film version is superior.

The one thing the mini-series does that the movie can't is flesh things out more, because it's a mini series and it's got a bit more room to do stuff. A movie has to jam everything it can in under 2 hours, so it can't touch on as much as a mini series.

But overall I liked the movie a lot better.
    Actually it was only a 2 episode mini series so when you take out comercials the run time is not that long. The whole mini clocks in at just over 3 hrs and 20 minutes. This movie alone was 2 hrs and 15 minutes and was really just part 1. If part 2 is 2 hrs we will be getting almost and hour more story than we did in the TV mini series.

Fantastic Member

So how does every think it does against the original mini-series version? I think it was better, but I also have always thought the made of tv one sucked so do not have same love for it others do.
    The made for tv one feels like they did the best they could adapting the children's part and thenwere forced into writing an epilogue of the same length that they didn't care even slightly about

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The made for tv one feels like they did the best they could adapting the children's part and thenwere forced into writing an epilogue of the same length that they didn't care even slightly about
    I can see that as the kids portion is much better then the slapped together adult part. Do not know if anyone else saw it, but the kids from the movie have all talked about who they would want to play adult version of the character they played.

Eddie - Jake Gyllenhaal
    Bill - Christian Bale
    Ben - Chris Pratt
    Stanley - Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Mike - Chadwick Boseman
    Bev - Jessica Chastain (She also mentioned Amy Adams as another one she would like)
    Richie - Bill Hader
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 09-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.

I can see that as the kids portion is much better then the slapped together adult part. Do not know if anyone else saw it, but the kids from the movie have all talked about who they would want to play adult version of the character they played.

Eddie - Jake Gyllenhaal
    Bill - Christian Bale
    Ben - Chris Pratt
    Stanley - Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Mike - Chadwick Boseman
    Bev - Jessica Chastain (She also mentioned Amy Adams as another one she would like)
    Richie - Bill Hader
    Bev looks like amy Adams. Ridiculously so

Listening to some interviews with the kid and they give some info that makes it clear why they worked so well together. They did sleep overs and actually spent time hanging out before filming. Then the first scenes they did was the summer fun stuff and did not meet Bill until a month or more into filming. They also first met him in makeup before a scene, they kept them separated as much as possible. The adults kind of need to do the opposite and be very much unknown to each other and rebuild the bond that the kids displayed.

I also found Curry more entertaining then creepy, but I know he horrified many people I still cannot understand how he was scary to anyone.
    Maybe it has something to do with people being afraid of clowns already. Curry really played it more like a clown who is evil, rather than an evil guy in clown make-up. Subtle difference, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with people being afraid of clowns already. Curry really played it more like a clown who is evil, rather than an evil guy in clown make-up. Subtle difference, I know.
    True a lot of people are afraid of clowns already and that would only make it worse. I know I have a couple friends who Curry scared so bad they will not even go to see the new one so he totally did his job of being terrifying, I always just think of him as the dude from Clue movie.

Fantastic Member

To me the difference was this.

Curry felt like a guy dressed up like a clown who happened to be evil. I've heard people make the comment that he almost felt like a pedophile who was trying to lure kids.

Skarsgard felt like a monster who made himself look like a clown. Which is more accurate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    To me the difference was this.

Curry felt like a guy dressed up like a clown who happened to be evil. I've heard people make the comment that he almost felt like a pedophile who was trying to lure kids.

Skarsgard felt like a monster who made himself look like a clown. Which is more accurate.
    Yeah, Curry played a very human kind of evil. He was a pervert and serial killer who happened to have supernatural powers. Skarsgard felt like an animal camouflaging itself as a clown, and slipping up a lot because it doesn't really understand the creature it was imitating. Like an evil octopus or some other predatory animal capable of disguise.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Bev looks like amy Adams. Ridiculously so
    The actress who played Bev also played a younger version of Amy Adams' character in an HBO series called Sharp Objects from a few years ago.

I really liked this movie. That opening scene was very creepy.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 09-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Who ever get cast as the adults needs to take some time and talk to the kid who played them. I also like that another R rated film is a big hit hopefully studios see if you do an R rated adaption right you can make tons of money without having to tone it down. Just never thought it would be Deadpool to open that door but glad he did.

Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Seeing this on Friday. Can't wait (will hopefully be seeing mother! on Saturday as well. Gonna be a pretty intense weekend at the movies).

From what I've read of the spoilers, it sounds like it captures the essence of the novel far better than the original mini-series did. I never watched that as a kid, and only saw it a few years ago after having read the book. Curry and the kids were good, but it was overall terrible and not scary at all. Glad to hear this adaptation does it justice, even with the changes, which are welcome.