Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I've read it at least 4 or 5 times. And I highly recommend Steven Weber's audiobook of IT, if that sort of thing interests you.
    I started the old one from cassette tapes in the 80s, but have since read that Weber's is great. Does he do a lot of voices or just a good narrator?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    *shrugs* so the movie is a bit longer. Its not like 3 hour movies are abnormal anymore. Honestly, I'm surprised the movie was as short as it is now.
    The movie doesn't need to be longer. It works as it is, at least when it comes to the kids stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    wasn't aware the "love triangle" was all that important to people out there

because its just kids crushing on each other, kind of mundane if you ask me
    As a kid it's Ben's main arc. Which is why I'm fine with him getting a bit more as a kid because Mike becomes infinitely more important as an adult and gets his due there

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    As a kid it's Ben's main arc. Which is why I'm fine with him getting a bit more as a kid because Mike becomes infinitely more important as an adult and gets his due there
    Sounds like Mike will be a big part of 2, but from what the director described it is going to be a very different version of Mike. I hope they change the plans they have talked about as it screws up Mike's character, but spoilers for what director has said is the plan is for Mike in part 2. spoilers:
    He is still going to be the librarian, but he will also be a junkie from dealing with IT and having to stay in Derry. They plan on using this instead of the smoke hole to explore what IT is and where it came from this will also tie into how they learn of the Ritual of CHUD.
    end of spoilers Now that could change over time, but seems to be directors plans for part 2.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Mike is one of the best characters in It, so I'm not liking what I hear about him in Part 1...and now Part 2. Some significant distorting of his character.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    So I watched It, turns out it's a pretty good movie. It's kind of like a really nice coming of age Stand by Me type movie about these kids hanging out for the summer combined with this somewhat unclear less effective jumbled mess version of A Nightmare on Elm Street. The kids just hanging out really worked, these parts were the best parts of the whole movie; the horror parts had me totally confused about its whole approach. It's an R rated movie, but most of the time I was just left wondering why that was, outside of the opening I'm not really sure we ever see anything again that wouldn't work in a PG-13 movie. At least violence wise. Outside of the opening, what is there? One of the kids being killed off off screen, a character being stabbed in the neck in such a way that you don't actually see them get stabbed, and someone who falls and is revealed to be dead later. Give me something with this shit.

I wonder if originally this movie was going to take place in the '90s. The way Street Fighter comes up feels like a 1991 Street Fighter 2 thing, not a 1989 the Street Fighter people didn't even know came out thing. People weren't playing Street Fighter in 1989 in arcades, I doubt most arcades would have even still had a mechine in '89. Final Fight? Sure. Original Street Fighter? Fuck no. Also, anyone that's actually played the original Street Fighter can tell you it controls like shit, it seems hard to believe anyone would be super into that one given it's almost painful to pull off moves. Somewhat related also, did anyone find it weird that the kids show had some lady host as opposed to just having Pennywise? Bozo the Clown was still running in its old format well into the '90s, seems like they could have just had a clown.

The giant garbage mound at the end reminded me of Akira and Robot Carnival. That's just like a stray observation. No open really, just made me think of that stuff. Kind of made me wish Pennywise had been sitting up there.

So Pennywise. I really kind of doesn't get this character at all. It really feels like King saw A Nightmare on Elm Street two years before, liked the idea of Freddy but not his dream world limitation, but then didn't really figure out a good reason why Pennywise isn't just killing at will. Movie almost feels like it needs some kind of fear meter thermostat to tell you where characters fears are at, because there doesn't seem to be much of any rhyme or reason behind who he does and doesn't kill. Kid at the beginning didn't seem all that afraid right before his arm was bitten off, then other characters are totally freaked out and It just let's them go. There could have been a whole creep aspect to It grooming the kids, this would be a good thing in a horror movie, but it doesn't go there. There was stuff happening at the end of the movie that kind of just made me wish there wasn't a supernatural clown and stuff, that IT was just some evil force acting upon people in the town. You could still have a big weird supernatural ending thing, but when we get stuff like the dad and the bully I was just kind of left wishing that had been the movie. I do still want Pennywise the Clown, but seeing how It can effect people just made me wish Pennywise was some serial killer clown getting kids, and that the leper was just some crazy homeless It was controlling.

I liked how the bully, who is basically Kiefer Sutherland's character in Stand by Me, kind of looks like Kiefer Surherland's character in The Lost Boys.
    Agreed about Pennywise in that the motivation and powers and his reasons for being were all over the place. I don't know if it's the same in the books but for example, the kids go into the house and they are scared senseless but still they still can fight him with physical elements like a steel bar in the head. If the villain is all over the place, it's hard for the viewers to invest into the story, I find. The laws of how Freddy works was actually better defined and easier to understand in the Nightmare movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Agreed about Pennywise in that the motivation and powers and his reasons for being were all over the place. I don't know if it's the same in the books but for example, the kids go into the house and they are scared senseless but still they still can fight him with physical elements like a steel bar in the head. If the villain is all over the place, it's hard for the viewers to invest into the story, I find. The laws of how Freddy works was actually better defined and easier to understand in the Nightmare movies.
    Pennywise has many abilities some made it into the movie and some did not. The big ones that they used are illusion and shape shifting. As shown he can be hurt physically and that was true in the books, but in different ways then the movie. Outside of sleeping between feedings he basically can do anything except leave Derry it seems. Not sure what you mean by his reasons being all over the place, he likes to eat kids and likes to strike fear into his prey as it is like a nice spice or marinade before eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I started the old one from cassette tapes in the 80s, but have since read that Weber's is great. Does he do a lot of voices or just a good narrator?
    Weber is an experienced voice actor, and you can tell when you listen to the audiobook. He gives every character a distinct personality, and his New England accent is spot on. He even sounds like he's recalling from fond memories during the descriptions of Derry.

And he makes Pennywise sound like Richard Nixon, which is a hilarious.
    Life is but a dream

I think the reason Mike got the short shift is rather simple, he's the last member to join the Loser club, by the time he does it's nearly time for the final sequence, the writers would wanted to establish the story earlier so they had Ben take those elements.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I think the reason Mike got the short shift is rather simple, he's the last member to join the Loser club, by the time he does it's nearly time for the final sequence, the writers would wanted to establish the story earlier so they had Ben take those elements.
    That's another thing that's always been Mike's problem.

Bill/Richie/Eddie/Stan are all friends when the book starts. Ben is the new kid and he likes Bev. Ben runs into the group pretty early on and Bev after him. Mike joins later on after the fight with Henry and they are pretty much gearing up for the fight with IT from that point on. Which is the inverse of the adult part where Mike is very connected to everyone and is the centerpiece drawing them together.