Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
    And the excessive CGI was straight up garbage. Especially the sewer drain scene with Georgie.

I yearn like hell for the days of practical effects and masters of the craft like Tom Savini, Stan Winston and Rob Bottin.
    Can't speak on this movie's use of CGI, but in general, I really agree about yearning for more practical effects or at least more hybrid CGI/practical fusions.

CGI nowadays I think has taken me out of many films or scenes. Game of Thrones for some reason though uses CGI well (overdid in a few battles) and it doesn't hurt much.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-13-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Old school ways were much better and forced you to be creative with your effects, however those days have passed sadly and is becoming a lost art in movies. A couple CGI scenes in the movie did not look great, but it did not kill the scenes completely. The Hobbit movies are a great example of CGI gone overboard and horrible looking the lack of practical effects really hurt the movie.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

I haven't seen it yet but if it does rely on too much CGI that will earn a demerit mark for me.

If it could be done in 1981 with what still stands today as the best practical makeup and effects transformation of all-time in An American Werewolf In London, and in 1982 with The Thing, all of Pennywise's disgusting morphs could have been done old-school as well.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but if it does rely on too much CGI that will earn a demerit mark for me.

If it could be done in 1981 with what still stands today as the best practical makeup and effects transformation of all-time in An American Werewolf In London, and in 1982 with The Thing, all of Pennywise's disgusting morphs could have been done old-school as well.
    I would be curious to see what we would have been done with the big blockbuster movies we see nowadays if they would have been done from 1978-1989. Especially super-hero movies where most of the stuff would have been practical. I mean the Alien Queen in Aliens was a huge puppet and the effect was magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

They did CGI but that is normal for this day and age. I have given up on hoping they go away. Much more creative to do practical, but for the most part movies are not to creative these days lots of adaptions or redone ideas.

This movie is equal to the Nightmare on Elm Street remake with the exception of the performances in IT. I thought they were all excellent. The horror stuff was garbage.

Good that is doing well.
    Last edited by a kiss to remember; 09-13-2017 at 10:35 PM.

monster movie with too much monster
    There was a time above... a time before... there were perfect things... diamond absolutes. But things fall... things on earth. And what falls... is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie.

Too much cartoon. Not any monster.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Can't speak on this movie's use of CGI, but in general, I really agree about yearning for more practical effects or at least more hybrid CGI/practical fusions.

CGI nowadays I think has taken me out of many films or scenes. Game of Thrones for some reason though uses CGI well (overdid in a few battles) and it doesn't hurt much.
    GoT does it very tastefully

Another example of excessive, shitty CGI would be The Walking Dead. The rare instances where they go the practical route, it's very impressive.

But all of that CGI blood splatter looks like crap.

Guys like George Romero and Tom Savini were displaying much more gruesome, realistic gore scenes 40 years ago using nothing but blood packs and raw hamburger meat.

iMan 42s

Thought I'd throw my two-cents in on this.

Movie Pennywise is missing something. Keep in mind that I did not read the book so I don't know how accurate this is, I'm just basing this off the information presented. Movie Pennywise could be virtually anything but I don't understand why of all things the clown is the default. In the movie he certainly references the circus but I don't feel as if Pennywise truly embraced the clown aspect of his character enough. His scares rely primarily on dark lit rooms, zombie versions of his victims, and teeth. Nothing beyond Georgie really uses the clown for anything beyond Ritchie's fear of clowns, but even then we've seen Pennywise as a monster the whole movie so it falls a little flat when he's supposed to be scary. There is nothing but a monster, so it's a monster in a clown suit when it does show off more of its appearance. He's certainly scarier than Tim Curry's portrayal but that isn't because he's a clown, it's because he is doing anything but being a clown.
    We should see him do more like with what he was doing with Georgie. Be fun and inviting so not only is it uncomfortable but it's horrifying when we do see him do something awful. The FX wouldn't save Pennywise for me, it's Pennywise being a dancing clown that would do it. Otherwise I question why he wouldn't just be any old creature like the leper, Mummy, an abusive parent, or for that matter a clown if he isn't going to do much with it beyond aesthetic.

Otherwise I enjoyed the movie.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Thought I'd throw my two-cents in on this.

Movie Pennywise is missing something. Keep in mind that I did not read the book so I don't know how accurate this is, I'm just basing this off the information presented. Movie Pennywise could be virtually anything but I don't understand why of all things the clown is the default. In the movie he certainly references the circus but I don't feel as if Pennywise truly embraced the clown aspect of his character enough. His scares rely primarily on dark lit rooms, zombie versions of his victims, and teeth. Nothing beyond Georgie really uses the clown for anything beyond Ritchie's fear of clowns, but even then we've seen Pennywise as a monster the whole movie so it falls a little flat when he's supposed to be scary. There is nothing but a monster, so it's a monster in a clown suit when it does show off more of its appearance. He's certainly scarier than Tim Curry's portrayal but that isn't because he's a clown, it's because he is doing anything but being a clown.
    We should see him do more like with what he was doing with Georgie. Be fun and inviting so not only is it uncomfortable but it's horrifying when we do see him do something awful. The FX wouldn't save Pennywise for me, it's Pennywise being a dancing clown that would do it. Otherwise I question why he wouldn't just be any old creature like the leper, Mummy, an abusive parent, or for that matter a clown if he isn't going to do much with it beyond aesthetic.

Otherwise I enjoyed the movie.
    My understanding is that he uses the clown aspect to attract children... but honestly I think the only person that would work on is George. Small children might be drawn to clowns, but I think teenagers are a bit too old to be drawn in by that. To anyone older tahna small child, a clown just randomly walking around would probably be more creepy than anything else (which is basically what it ended up being). The clown thing likely was more effective for some of the victims we didn't end up seeing (aside from George).

Pennywise used the clown image in the books because it gave him a legitimate excuse to be in public and specifically around kids, it let the adults have something to remember and dismiss if they saw him. Apparently he just decided he liked the form. The book was set in the 50s mind you so clowns were seen differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Pennywise used the clown image in the books because it gave him a legitimate excuse to be in public and specifically around kids, it let the adults have something to remember and dismiss if they saw him. Apparently he just decided he liked the form. The book was set in the 50s mind you so clowns were seen differently.
    This is a big reason for the clown to blend in. The movie was closer to the book version but still did not take as many forms or have all the powers from the book. Also in the book you get things from Pennywise perspective. The book is awesome and the movie captured parts of it, but the whole cosmic thing was left out which I love along with some trips to the past to learn of ITs origins.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 09-14-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    This is a big reason for the clown to blend in. The movie was closer to the book version but still did not take as many forms or have all the powers from the book. Also in the book you get things from Pennywise perspective also. The book is awesome and the movie captured parts of it, but the whole cosmic thing was left out which I love along with some trips to the past to learn of ITs origins.
    Children are like a delicacy to It, that's why he most seeks to prey on them (though not exclusively) and that's why the clown persona (though he comes in many many forms).
    Thank you America for voting for change.