Page 105 of 113 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1691

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It felt weird that Nadia mentioned all the people important to her, including Jarvis, but didn't mention Janet at all. I think the closest we got to a mention of Jan was someone bringing up that there's another Wasp.

Truthfully, while I do like Nadia, it does kind of still tick me off that the first Wasp solo in the history of Marvel comics is focusing on the new version of the character, who's only been around for a little bit, versus the original, founding Avenger, and longtime Marvel female Superhero.

The fact that movie synergy has a hand in it is even more annoying .
    there's only so much room in an issue. most of it involved portraying Nadia as a fish out of water, introducing her Pym-centric backstory, and setting up the quest for female geniuses. Jan is coming. the writer promised it.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Yes I do find it extremely irritating that Janet never got a solo.

As far as we know Jan is only guest starring in issue 3. Writer never said Jan would be big in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    there's only so much room in an issue. most of it involved portraying Nadia as a fish out of water, introducing her Pym-centric backstory, and setting up the quest for female geniuses. Jan is coming. the writer promised it.
    I know, and I understand that, but that doesn't really change my opinion as a huge fan of Janet.

I also already know Jan is going to show up in the book (in another supporting role, of course...).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The fact that movie synergy has a hand in it is even more annoying .
    Yeah theres a chance that Hope Pym's middle name could be Nadia
    Skeeter: Hey time traveling O5 members of the X-Men We don't take kindly to people who create a time paradox around here!

Bartender: Now calm down Skeeter they aint hurtin nobody.

Skeeter: No! I wanna know som'in from the "O5" How come you cant go back to your own timeline in the first place and how come when Reed Richards "fixed" the universe you wasnt put back and how come the changes that happn to you dont happn to your present day selves?

Bartender: Skeeter I dont want trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Yeah theres a chance that Hope Pym's middle name could be Nadia
    Nadia translates into 'Hope'
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Yes I do find it extremely irritating that Janet never got a solo.

As far as we know Jan is only guest starring in issue 3. Writer never said Jan would be big in this book.
    It is frustrating.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

Fantastic Member

they should just announce another one for Janet "the winsome wasp."

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

I was really enjoying Unstoppable Wasp #1 for most of the book. But then the last 25% devolved into, quite literally, "G.I.R.L. powerrrrrrr!!!!!" So, apparently this book is not for me because I'm one of those "blowhard males." It's like, we get it Marvel - girls in STEM. That's cool. But can we not do that by simply encouraging PEOPLE in STEM? Do we have to make Nadia's search exclusively for female scientists!?!? Just.... ugh. I want social equality, and that sort of segregation and accusation is not how you get there.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    I was really enjoying Unstoppable Wasp #1 for most of the book. But then the last 25% devolved into, quite literally, "G.I.R.L. powerrrrrrr!!!!!" So, apparently this book is not for me because I'm one of those "blowhard males." It's like, we get it Marvel - girls in STEM. That's cool. But can we not do that by simply encouraging PEOPLE in STEM? Do we have to make Nadia's search exclusively for female scientists!?!? Just.... ugh. I want social equality, and that sort of segregation and accusation is not how you get there.
    What? I don't think you quite get what they were trying to do. There's a reason she decides to search for girl scientists. Because there seems to be very few of them, as pretty much all famous scientists, genius and everything on the marvel universe are men. There's already lot of these everywhere, so she just wants to show that girls can have that too. She wants to seak for these people because she's one of them and she think that's amazing but she doesn't really know many, but she knows they exist and should be acknowleged too. There's many stuff with only men on it and no one seems offended by it.

Calling this "accusation and segregation" makes no sense, and it makes you sound like you're one of these guys who says that Feminism itself is wrong in every way because it's all about women. And if that happens to be the case(what I hope is not), than yeah, you shouldn't be reading this book. Also, the writer(who is a man, if that's any relevant) is used to writing stuff like My Little Pony comics, so normal to expect something more aimed to younger girls, specially when the character's a teenager and already meant to be optimistic and everything.

I didn't mind the girl power thing at all infact I thought it was great. What I had problem with was that there was nothing else in the book.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

@Wiccan

We simply have different philosophies on what it means to be progressive. I'll try to explain mine a little better but please understand I am not trying to convince you or change your mind, merely state my perspective. The idea of searching out female scientists because there don't seem to be many achieving greatness is not any kind of achievement I would be proud of. It's like if you view different demographics as "teams" and your specific team comes in 10th place but instead of trying to do better next time, you put your effort towards a big rally and loudly chant "We're #10! We're #10!" Personally, I would be embarrassed if someone tried to pat me on the head and say my 10th place finish was just as good as 1st. On the other hand, letting any scientist, *regardless* of their demographics, make a name for themselves in the scientific community, is what I would consider progress.

As it is, the characters come off like they care more about making women look good at science than actually having someone *be* good at science. Like, what is Nadia's practical reason for seeking them out? If they are not the best scientists in the world, but merely the best *female* scientists, what does that achieve? They blame the tests and the people involved and imply that they must be inherently sexist. It's like when someone does poorly at video games and blames the controller, or when a politician tries to say an election is "rigged." =P To me, it makes them look worse, not better.

You mentioned the Marvel universe as if these trends are not reflected in real life but are only the result of a male-dominated fiction. But real life reflects the same trends. In general, women are smarter. In general, men are the most severely low in IQ. But, they also happen to be the most severely high. Since jobs and recognition are (ideally) awarded via merit, it makes sense that men will typically dominate those positions which demand higher IQ like those in the scientific fields.

Now, keep in mind, I didn't bring up gender and science - it's not something I wanted to talk about on a comic book forum. But the comic book brought it up. So, we can assume the writers of the book wanted to start people thinking about gender and science and we're doing that here. But if we think for ourselves, and try to understand the reality of the situation - not just what makes for an uplifting fiction, then the reality of the discussion may be unpleasant. But that doesn't mean reality is broken - reality is often unpleasant. But it maybe means that we don't need to be upset by it. After all, like I said, the data illustrates that women are, in general, smarter! And that men are, in general, the most stupid! =P But they also happen to be the sharpest.

These results have been found time and again...

Graph 1
    Graph 2
    Graph 3
    Graph 4
    Graph 5
    Graph 6
    Graph 7

So, again, it seems regressive to me to have the characters working in that direction. But, it's just a difference in our philosophies, right? And us progressives rarely agree completely on the path to a more enlightened tomorrow, right? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I didn't mind the girl power thing at all infact I thought it was great. What I had problem with was that there was nothing else in the book.
    It's cool, to each their own!
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

You know what will settle the stem girls power issue you two are having and get all this back on track?

Stem is nothing,

Nothing.

It is literally just a bunch of fields existing all over the world.

Nobody makes a damn about it in other countries.

Americans are silly.

You know what I want to see? An actual female leader character from Marvel.

Something like Janet, or Monica Rambeau. The handling of Carol proves that many Marvel creators now have no idea how to do it. I want to see the sort of Sunspot transformation these past few years, on a female character.
    Last edited by itspopularnowitsucks; 01-06-2017 at 02:21 AM.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I was really disappointed with Unstoppable Wasp #1 because of literally no Janet anywhere.

Is it me or is it really insulting that the the first comic series the character stars in doesn't even feature the original in any form, one who has been around for 50+ years? The opening even has "Wasp created by Stan Lee," et al. And I have to say, Nadia *really* annoyed me in this issue. I can't see myself staying with the book sadly.
    I picked the book up on a lark. But your "problems" with it are based simply on the fact that it was not the Janet Van Dyne Wasp. You may have preferred Janet Van Dyne, but that doesn't make the book unworthy. I liked it a lot, and I had never heard of this new Wasp previously. (Granted, I have not been reading a lot of comics in the past few years.) I thought the character was fun and the story enjoyable, and it was the first appearance of the new Ms. Marvel that I enjoyed. (I have only read the first trade of her book, and had not been impressed and any guest star appearance I've read has only been OK.)

But I had two questions:

What happened to Hank Pym? He's dead now. (It wasn't long ago that Janet Van Dyne was dead (and I don't even know how she's alive).)

How does Bobby Morse know Maria Pym? I thought Maria was believed dead until decades later she turned up as a super villain working for the Soviets (I think -- it's been a while). Did she survive at the end of that story? And is Hank Pym a bigamist?

The one problem I have with the new Wasp's back story is that it doesn't make sense. Obviously, when Hank Pym was created there was a Soviet Union that controlled all of Eastern Europe. That not the case anymore, so why would Nadia end up in Red Room? And why would there even be a Red Room? I't very Cold War, which ended in the late 1980s.

But that aside, I like the book and will continue to read it (until I don't like it).

Sandy Hausler

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    What happened to Hank Pym? He's dead now. (It wasn't long ago that Janet Van Dyne was dead (and I don't even know how she's alive).)

How does Bobby Morse know Maria Pym? I thought Maria was believed dead until decades later she turned up as a super villain working for the Soviets (I think -- it's been a while). Did she survive at the end of that story? And is Hank Pym a bigamist?
    Hank isn't dead, he's fused with Ultron. Everyone outside the Uncanny Avengers just believes him to be dead. It happened in Rage of Ultron and was explored in an arc of Uncanny Avengers Vol 3. Janet knows the truth, being part of that team. She's keeping what really happened hidden from Nadia.

Janet never actually died. When she blew up, she actually shrunk down to microscopic size... but couldn't regrow or fly. She was stranded until Hank and the Avengers finally figured out what happened and rescued her. Janet explains what happened in Avengers Vol 4 #32.

Mockingbird must be in her 30s already. She first appeared in the 1970s, and she was already an adult then. It's certainly feasible for her to be a teenager when Hank married Maria. If Hank is a bigamist, it's unintentional. Maria was legally dead (same reason Bobbi is no longer married to Clint Barton - they didn't divorce because her skrull imposter died before it could be finalised - Clint was officially widowed). Supervillain Maria was an imposter: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Olinka_...va_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-06-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Mockingbird must be in her 30s already. She first appeared in the 1970s, and she was already an adult then. It's certainly feasible for her to be a teenager when Hank married Maria. If Hank is a bigamist, it's unintentional. Maria was legally dead (same reason Bobbi is no longer married to Clint Barton - they didn't divorce because her skrull imposter died before it could be finalised - Clint was officially widowed). Supervillain Maria was an imposter: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Olinka_...va_(Earth-616)
    Maria was dead before Hank became Ant-Man. Are you saying Bobby knew him before he was a super-hero?

I'm skeptical about the law of someone who comes back from the dead and the validity of their marriage, but I suppose it's a precedent that was set by She-Hulk.

I remember seeing Jan in an issue of Hercules where she was in the realm of the dead, but hey -- she had to come back.

Thanks so much for filling the gaps in my language.

Sandy Hausler