Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Box Office: "Days of Future Past" Expecting $31 Million This Weekend

With newcomer "Maleficent" looking to bring in $65 million, "X-Men: Days of Future Past" is estimated to land at No. 2 at the North American box office this weekend.

Full article here.

Not bad. But like I have stated before when you include 3 d inflation, and Imax all of these CBMs are down from years past. They fanbase still is going out but the general public is not as interested. Cap will end up with the highest domestic gross of the year for cbms. Thats the lowest since 2011 when Thor was top dog for cbms in what was a super weak year. But I am sure next year will change that with Avengers.

I'm not sure why anyone would be remotely surprised at the drop in X-Men. Maleficent had a lot of buzz off of trailers, although reviews haven't been the most favorable. X-Men really only has one more week to make it's money because How To Train Your Dragon 2 will destroy anything else that week, and I would not be surprised if 22 Jump Street fairs decently either.

I still think DOFP will cross that $500 million threshold. I'm just skeptical it'll catch up to Cap 2 like some fans have suggested.

sad, DOFP is a spectacular movie! i wish it all the best!
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Not bad. But like I have stated before when you include 3 d inflation, and Imax all of these CBMs are down from years past. They fanbase still is going out but the general public is not as interested. Cap will end up with the highest domestic gross of the year for cbms. Thats the lowest since 2011 when Thor was top dog for cbms in what was a super weak year. But I am sure next year will change that with Avengers.

Outside of the Dark Knight Movies and Avengers what are you expecting? Spiderman was the only other CBM to make over $800 million, and that was because it was the first time around. CBM's are more prevelant and add to the fact that the numbers for all genres of movies are down, I see this as a non-argument. You're going to have 3-4 CBM's make $700 million this year. That's pretty damn good. Especially when they are the highest grossing movies this year. In any genre.
    Last edited by Luke Cage; 05-31-2014 at 07:23 PM.

That and not for nothing, it's kind of dumb to equate 3rd and imax increased prices to inflation. Inflation used to just be a consideration of how movie ticket prices have gone up over the years as a result of economic inflation. Today audiences have a choice. They can see the movies for face value at a regular cinema. Because they choose to see it at a higher quality at an increased price shouldn't be held against the gross the same way. So it's different, they elected to pay more.

And yeah as Luke Cage noted, Nolan's Batman movies, the Avengers, and Iron Man 3 were the only films to break the billion mark. So that's 4 films of all the comic book films. And Spider-Man's the only other property that has got in that really high range just outside a billion.

$500 million is a solid take for a movie. No one should be disappointed with that. The idea that every CBM is going to breach the billion dollar mark is foolish. Heck, even 700 is a bit high, especially with all the competition now-a-days.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    That and not for nothing, it's kind of dumb to equate 3rd and imax increased prices to inflation. Inflation used to just be a consideration of how movie ticket prices have gone up over the years as a result of economic inflation. Today audiences have a choice. They can see the movies for face value at a regular cinema. Because they choose to see it at a higher quality at an increased price shouldn't be held against the gross the same way. So it's different, they elected to pay more.
    The reason people do not like it is that it artificially inflates the numbers. This is why counting tickets sold would be a superior metric for comparing movies of different eras but the movie companies would never do that (as it would not lead to big news headlines the way counting money (while not accounting for inflation) does).

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    Outside of the Dark Knight Movies and Avengers what are you expecting? Spiderman was the only other CBM to make over $800 million, and that was because it was the first time around. CBM's are more prevelant and add to the fact that the numbers for all genres of movies are down, I see this as a non-argument. You're going to have 3-4 CBM's make $700 million this year. That's pretty damn good. Especially when they are the highest grossing movies this year. In any genre.
    But they wont be the highest grossing movies of the year in any genre where did you get that? HG and Hobbit will easily pass them. The fact is with 3 d and Imax and inflation less people are going to see these movies. Again I know I have repeated this over and over. But the original spiderman made over 500 million domestic with inflation. That means alot of people were going and sitting their butts in seats. Box office is up from last year by 4%. Quoting overseas numbers is not a good basis because almost every movie makes more overseas than the last one. More theaters open up every week in more countries. The facts are domestically 2 out of three of these movies will fail to what there brother movies made just 8 to 10 years ago domestically. AND THAT is with inflation and IMAX and 3d. The last hunger games made almost 200 million more than the first hunger games did overseas. The next one will probably do more than that. But that is the trend overseas with all movies. When this x-men cant even come close to what x-3 did there is a downturn in the domestic market. This is the best reviewed x-men ever. Cap had incredible reviews yet could not even pull in what MOS did domestic. AND ITS FREAKING Captain america. This after a highly reviewed 1st film and following avengers one of the biggest movies of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    $500 million is a solid take for a movie. No one should be disappointed with that. The idea that every CBM is going to breach the billion dollar mark is foolish. Heck, even 700 is a bit high, especially with all the competition now-a-days.

The reason people do not like it is that it artificially inflates the numbers. This is why counting tickets sold would be a superior metric for comparing movies of different eras but the movie companies would never do that (as it would not lead to big news headlines the way counting money (while not accounting for inflation) does).

Box office mojo does have a list of movies that account for inflation. Its actually pretty remarkable what some movies would have made with todays ticket prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would be remotely surprised at the drop in X-Men. Maleficent had a lot of buzz off of trailers, although reviews haven't been the most favorable. X-Men really only has one more week to make it's money because How To Train Your Dragon 2 will destroy anything else that week, and I would not be surprised if 22 Jump Street fairs decently either.

I still think DOFP will cross that $500 million threshold. I'm just skeptical it'll catch up to Cap 2 like some fans have suggested.
    I thought it might. But I dunno. Its ahead right now but losing ground quickly. I think its front loaded like Fast and Furious 6.

Speaking to a young man working in HMV (yes they do still exist) I was surprised when he told me a lot of customers had expressed disappointment with DoFP. I thought I was in the minority, unless those who didn' t like it haven't been commenting on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Speaking to a young man working in HMV (yes they do still exist) I was surprised when he told me a lot of customers had expressed disappointment with DoFP. I thought I was in the minority, unless those who didn' t like it haven't been commenting on the internet.
    If all you wanted was mindless super action, then DoFP does not satisfy. Most of the people I have talked to that did not like it, did not like it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    If all you wanted was mindless super action, then DoFP does not satisfy. Most of the people I have talked to that did not like it, did not like it for that reason.
    That isn't why i found it disappointing.

Not too surprised. Would be interested in finding out the percent of dropoff for this movie compared to other X-men movies. Even though this movie was very well-reviewed, Fox doesn't really care about that. They care about whether these movies will make money. That's why Transformers 2 was considered a success despite universal disdain by critics. It made a lot of money. That's the name of the game and that's what's going to determine the future of all comic book movies.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Ummm... what???

[from wiki] X-Men: Days of Future Past topped the North American box office during its opening weekend with $90,823,660, which is the second-highest opening weekend of the X-Men film series behind X-Men: The Last Stand.[148] For the 4-day Memorial Day weekend, it earned a total of $110.6 million, which is the fifth-highest 4-day Memorial Day opening.

X-Men: Days of Future Past topped the worldwide box office on its opening weekend, grossing $172,042,661 which is Fox International's biggest overseas debut of all time.[149][150] The film debuted at number one at many territories including Australia, China and the United Kingdom. It was also the highest debut ever for a 20th Century Fox movie in 11 markets including South Korea, Brazil, the Philippines and India.

5th highest Memorial Day opening, highest debut for 20th Century Fox.... yeah, it's really "only the fans" keeping this one afloat