Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Box Office: "X-Men: Days of Future Past" Tops $500 Million Worldwide

Disney's "Maleficent" opened strong with$170 million globally and pushed the mutants to No. 2 in North America.

Full article here.

The best X-Men movie has now grossed the most of any X-Men movie! Yes!

Take that Last Stand!

Last Stand was garbage. I just watched DOFP. Liked it. Balanced the characters pretty good. Young Magneto is always a pleasure....the bastard.

Maybe this means Fox will finally be able to fully reap the rewards of the X-film franchise which has truthfully underperformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Maybe this means Fox will finally be able to fully reap the rewards of the X-film franchise which has truthfully underperformed.
    it amazes me how people throw stones at a franchise that only had two movies with bad reviews out of seven. furthermore, despite it all, the entire franchise has performed relatively well financially.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. k0 View Post
    it amazes me how people throw stones at a franchise that only had two movies with bad reviews out of seven. furthermore, despite it all, the entire franchise has performed relatively well financially.
    Yeah I just shook my head at some people's twisted view on a successful film and a underperformed film.

Not that I wish any good luck to corporations in general but since I loved this movie and want more I am glad it is doing well.

Amen. I'm always shocked at the revisionist history that people bring up when talking about the X-men films. There was only really two bad films. And frankly I would argue one since I really liked Origins. Sure it had some faults mostly with it's interpretation of Deadpool and the special effects but all in all it was a pretty solid movie. Frankly I would argue the X-movies have a better track record then the Marvel run movies. Their Hulk movie blew, Ironman 2 was ok, and Ironman 3 was down right terrible. Heck even the Thor movies received a resounding meh from me. Yes Avengers, Ironman, and both Cap movies were great but that makes Marvels record four great movies, one ok movie, and four lousy ones.

It's a fair statement. The X-Men franchise has been one of the biggest in all of comics and mainstream media yet it's film success pales in comparison to that of The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy quite astonishingly (no pun intended).

I'd argue that while there have only been 2 bad films out of the 7, none of them have been a good "X-Men" film. That's the case for X-Men: Days of Future Past well, a good film, but not a good X-Men film. In fact, where the bulk of the film takes place, there are no X-Men and that doesn't change as the film goes on. It's Wolverine, Beast, and Xavier. Quicksilver briefly lends a hand. Magneto flirts with helping out, but ultimately can't resist being the raging douche monster that he is. And Mystique has gone rogue. Lucas Till's Havok makes an appearance, but it's basically a cameo to let us know he's the only other surviving member of the X-Men or The Brotherhood from First Class. Additionally, the time period that does have X-Men, sees a return of them not actually dressed like X-Men.

It's incredibly unfortunate that after SEVEN films in this franchise, important characters like Kitty, Nightcrawler, Jean, Storm, Colossus (he's been in 3 films and I barely remember him speaking at all!), Iceman, Angel, Rogue, and Psylocke remain so underused and/or misused. Yes, I'm aware Cyclops isn't mentioned, but the eldest Summers brother bores me. Also, the one film we finally get more than a Sentinel's head, it's a giant humanoid air conditioner.

More importantly, by the end of 2014, Marvel Studios will have released 10 films over a 6 year time period. Meanwhile, Fox has released those 7 films related to the X-Men franchise throughout 14 years. We still haven't witnessed the Original 5 on a team together, X-Factor, X-Force, New Mutants, The Shi'Ar, The Brood, etc. It took Marvel announcing plans for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch for Pietro to finally make an appearance in the X-films. This franchise could've been much greater and more expanded. If you had told me in 1994 that The Avengers would be bigger in the mainstream than X-Men, pretty much anyone would've told you that you were nuts. And yet, that's where we are.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    The X-Men franchise has been one of the biggest in all of comics and mainstream media yet it's film success pales in comparison to that of The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy quite astonishingly (no pun intended).

I'd argue that while there have only been 2 bad films out of the 7, none of them have been a good "X-Men" film. That's the case for X-Men: Days of Future Past well, a good film, but not a good X-Men film. In fact, where the bulk of the film takes place, there are no X-Men and that doesn't change as the film goes on. It's Wolverine, Beast, and Xavier. Quicksilver briefly lends a hand. Magneto flirts with helping out, but ultimately can't resist being the raging douche monster that he is. And Mystique has gone rogue. Lucas Till's Havok makes an appearance, but it's basically a cameo to let us know he's the only other surviving member of the X-Men or The Brotherhood from First Class. Additionally, the time period that does have X-Men, sees a return of them not actually dressed like X-Men.

It's incredibly unfortunate that after SEVEN films in this franchise, important characters like Kitty, Nightcrawler, Jean, Storm, Colossus (he's been in 3 films and I barely remember him speaking at all!), Iceman, Angel, Rogue, and Psylocke remain so underused and/or misused. Yes, I'm aware Cyclops isn't mentioned, but the eldest Summers brother bores me. Also, the one film we finally get more than a Sentinel's head, it's a giant humanoid air conditioner.

More importantly, by the end of 2014, Marvel Studios will have released 10 films over a 6 year time period. Meanwhile, Fox has released those 7 films related to the X-Men franchise throughout 14 years. We still haven't witnessed the Original 5 on a team together, X-Factor, X-Force, New Mutants, The Shi'Ar, The Brood, etc. It took Marvel announcing plans for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch for Pietro to finally make an appearance in the X-films. This franchise could've been much greater and more expanded. If you had told me in 1994 that The Avengers would be bigger in the mainstream than X-Men, pretty much anyone would've told you that you were nuts. And yet, that's where we are.
    This. This. Oh my God, This.

After seeing DoFP, I've struggled with how to phrase this with no success (People are a bit touchy around these parts when it comes to this franchise) and this very clearly and fairly states a painful truth. Good films (I've enjoyed them) but not good X-Men films. Well, minus I like Cyclops but beyond that... well said!

It's a fair statement. The X-Men franchise has been one of the biggest in all of comics and mainstream media yet it's film success pales in comparison to that of The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy quite astonishingly (no pun intended).
    [....]

If you had told me in 1994 that The Avengers would be bigger in the mainstream than X-Men, pretty much anyone would've told you that you were nuts. And yet, that's where we are.
    Thank you for getting the point I was trying to make. Compared to the other major superhero franchises X-Men HAS underperformed. It is successful yes, but that doesn't mean it hasn't underperformed. In 7 films, this is the first to break $500 million. That's what I call underperforming. The worst Spider-man film in comparison still made upwards of $600 million.

I've never found myself to be terribly impressed by the money put into X-men movies, they always seem relatively "cheap", but as a comic fan I'm pretty happy to see Cap, Spider-man, and X-men sitting at #1, #2, and #3 on the global box office chart right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Thank you for getting the point I was trying to make. Compared to the other major superhero franchises X-Men HAS underperformed. It is successful yes, but that doesn't mean it hasn't underperformed. In 7 films, this is the first to break $500 million. That's what I call underperforming. The worst Spider-man film in comparison still made upwards of $600 million.
    X-men was the first superhero movie of the current era. It was made at a time when everyone thought Superhero movies couldn't be done anymore. So the first was a smash success in that light and it kick started the superhero revival.

The second X-men did more money than Batman Begins despite coming out two years earlier at slightly lower ticket prices.

The thought that anyone thinks they weren't amazing successes is baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    X-men was the first superhero movie of the current era. It was made at a time when everyone thought Superhero movies couldn't be done anymore. So the first was a smash success in that light and it kick started the superhero revival.

The second X-men did more money than Batman Begins despite coming out two years earlier at slightly lower ticket prices.

The thought that anyone thinks they weren't amazing successes is baffling.
    Like I said. Twisted sense of view

This post kind of shows the disconnect comic fans have with mainstream film audiences. X-Men is an extremely successful comic. The only one that was ever even remotely a mainstream hero was Wolverine and that started in the 80's. Prior to the movies it was never a big deal. And again your comparing it to Batman who is THE MOST FINANCIALLY SUCCESSFUL AND MAINSTREAM SUPERHERO since probably the silver age. And your comparing it to a film that was built up over 5 movies with popular names like Hulk, Captain America, and Thor, and then the breakout Iron Man who is played by a global megastar and one of the most bankable actors today.

And because it did not hit those limits it's considered a failure?

You're opinion on the quality or how good the films are irrelevant when their is critical consensus out there readily available. Also which characters are used is pretty irrelevant. The Avengers franchise hasn't used Ant Man yet, the only major villain they used was Loki (who they reused 3 times), none of their other big villains became relevant (while XMen successfully used Magneto, Stryker, Phoenix, Mystique, Shaw, The Sentinels, Trask, which is a pretty stellar list of their major villain names). I could go on a huge rant of how little the Avengers franchise has utilized it's potential characters so don't even go there.

Also your assessment of Marvel Studios releasing 10 films over 6 years while Fox released less X-Men films is equally pointless because Marvel Studios only releases Marvel films while is an actual major studio that releases other films.