Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 86
  1. #16
    Veteran Member Beezzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    And just so we're all clear - Bendis while never terrible (not including BotA and Eva erasing MM), but was never a good fit for the franchise - main X-books don't do well when written as mere fun superhero romps. Bendis never got the mix of soap opera/social issues/superhero right.

    But I can see how Bendis' O5, Eva and these kinds spectacular UU toned stories would appeal to newer, as well as younger readers. I hope they get a new book to latch onto after SW and the main X-books return to more serious, reality based, character driven storytelling.

    And fun is never a word used to describe the focus of in a main X-Book...
    Last edited by Beezzi; 05-20-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    Wolvie and Jubes - one of the greatest partnerships in comic history.

  2. #17
    Veteran Member RobinFan4880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Bendis is a great writer and expectations were very high for him, especially as he was coming off his Avengers run. There was really no way he could live up to those expectations . His X-Men run has been good. Maybe not his best work but it has been a fun run.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-20-2015 at 10:03 AM.

  3. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    119

    Default

    He's right about one main thing: the art on his books was definitely pretty.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-20-2015 at 10:04 AM.

  4. #19
    Hugger of Puppies Nirikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    88

    Default

    This interview was a pleasant surprise. Was expecting we'd have to wait till October for Part 2....

  5. #20
    Rookie Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Bendis is a great writer and expectations were very high for him, especially as he was coming off his Avengers run. There was really no way he could live up to those expectations . His X-Men run has been good. Maybe not his best work but it has been a fun run.
    Co-signed. I loved his run.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-20-2015 at 10:05 AM.

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirikins View Post
    This interview was a pleasant surprise. Was expecting we'd have to wait till October for Part 2....
    CBR really lost an opportunity there.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Bendis is a great writer and expectations were very high for him, especially as he was coming off his Avengers run. There was really no way he could live up to those expectations . His X-Men run has been good. Maybe not his best work but it has been a fun run.
    This is the correct answer.

    This highlight of this run was the Eva Bell and Last Will and Testament storyline. It was as cool and interesting to me as the incursion storyline in Avengers/New Avengers, the Cap in the Future Original Sin tie-in in Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, and Jason Aaron's Thor run. Those are my 5 favorite Marvel storylines since 2012.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-20-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy, Howard the Duck, Hulk, Inhumans, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, X-Men

  8. #23

    Default

    The run was good, not great, but definitely not as bad as some people here say. I think Bendis could have done a lot with this book, but was derailed by Original Sin, delays, and more often than not, HUGE gaps between issues.

    I have a suspicion editorial got in the way of what Bendis wanted to do. Everything felt smooth until Battle of the Atom, and I don't think Xavier's will was supposed to be that long, but dragged out that way due to the advent of Axis.

  9. #24
    Veteran Member AcesX1X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,983

    Default

    i was one of his loudest and proudest supporters for coming onto the x-men.

    but i have watched him promise greatness with these books, deliver meandering plots that abruptly end with zero resolution, relentlessly mock the fanbase since last summer, and generally be resentful of anything short of zealous praise.

    i am disappointed, and feel let down as a fan of his work. i have seen him leave the x-men in a worse state of affairs than where he picked them up from.

    yes, he has delivered some quality emotional moments and memorable times. but that doesn't negate what it came with, which was a lot of frustration, heartache, and resentment from the audience he committed a duty to.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-20-2015 at 10:07 AM.

  10. #25
    Senior Member WeaponX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    This is the correct answer.

    This highlight of this run was the Eva Bell and Last Will and Testament storyline. It was as cool and interesting to me as the incursion storyline in Avengers/New Avengers, the Cap in the Future Original Sin tie-in in Avengers, and Jason Aaron's Thor run. Those are my 4 favorite Marvel storylines since 2012.

    Or a poor excuse. It's a poor craftsmen that blames his tools and a poor writer that blames his audience.

  11. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Battle of the Atom sucked (and again, was not his idea). The final fight with Dark Beast was anticlimatic. Lat Will was a good 2-3 issue story given The Hobbit treatment. The first 11 issues were very good, and the one-shot issues have been good. So overall a mixed bag.

    All New never was as good as the first 11 issues of Uncanny, but it never reached the lows Uncanny reached later.

  12. #27
    Rookie Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Or a poor excuse. It's a poor craftsmen that blames his tools and a poor writer that blames his audience.
    When did he blame the audience? In that interview, he is acknowledging the makeup of the audience, and said that while there was a strong dissatisfied voice, they did not represent the majority of the people reading. He is not blaming them for having opinions and not liking his work.

    I guess the closest is when he said is that there are some people you can never make happy when it comes to the X-Men, but that is true. There were lots of negative nancies even during Gillen's run, which is widely acknowledged as a very good run.
    Last edited by Spacedog2; 05-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i was one of his loudest and proudest supporters for coming onto the x-men.

    but i have watched him promise greatness with these books, deliver meandering plots that abruptly end with zero resolution, relentlessly mock the fanbase since last summer, and generally be resentful of anything short of zealous praise.

    i am disappointed, and feel let down as a fan of his work. i have seen him leave the x-men in a worse state of affairs than where he picked them up from.

    yes, he has delivered some quality emotional moments and memorable times. but that doesn't negate what it came with, which was a lot of frustration, heartache, and resentment from the audience he committed a duty to.
    I just don't understand where you are coming from.

    Cyclops = still awesome.
    Kitty Pryde = more awesome.
    Magik = actually relevant and cool character.
    Stepford Sisters = more awesome and actually individually interesting
    A cast of new mutants with some interesting characters and powers = awesome.
    He recreated the original five X-Men and made them different characters from their existing counter-parts = not an easy task.
    He made Dazzler actually interesting.
    He potentially has made Iceman relevant again.

    He took all the tools he was given and enhanced them for future writers. He gave them new tools to build with. It was a good run.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy, Howard the Duck, Hulk, Inhumans, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, X-Men

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedog2 View Post
    When did he blame the audience? In that interview, he is acknowledging the makeup of the audience, and said that while there was a strong dissatisfied voice, they did not represent the majority of the people reading. He is not blaming them for having opinions and not liking his work.
    What is this obsession and fascination with writer's personality and who they are in real life? Who gives a [hoot], honestly? I don't care if Bendis hates me or hates anyone or is a jerk. Who cares? The work speaks for itself. Judge him on that. Judged objectively on the run, he did a good job based on objective metrics - sales and brand interest.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy, Howard the Duck, Hulk, Inhumans, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, X-Men

  15. #30
    Senior Member WeaponX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i was one of his loudest and proudest supporters for coming onto the x-men.

    but i have watched him promise greatness with these books, deliver meandering plots that abruptly end with zero resolution, relentlessly mock the fanbase since last summer, and generally be resentful of anything short of zealous praise.

    i am disappointed, and feel let down as a fan of his work. i have seen him leave the x-men in a worse state of affairs than where he picked them up from.

    yes, he has delivered some quality emotional moments and memorable times. but that doesn't negate what it came with, which was a lot of frustration, heartache, and resentment from the audience he committed a duty to.
    Well said. And I understand why he gets to take pot shot at the audience in these interviews but I find it sad that posters here are held to a higher standard than the professional writer. I find it highly unprofessional and a bad look for Mr. Bendis. Could you imagine calling customer support and the Appel guy says you that you expect too much form their technology and hangs up on you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •