Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Kane View Post
    I hope that Chris [Claremont], if he ever reads them, will appreciate it -- even though he was the one running around saying we weren't allowed to create new mutants when we were.

Kind of a cheap shot at Claremont.
    I was typing the same thing when you posted Shawn Kane lol

It was very cheap and unnecessary and tacky. Without Chris, there would be not X-Title for Bendis to write. That doesn't mean he has to worship his feet, but to call him out in public like that was uncalled for.

Rookie Member

It just seemed unnecessary. It comes across as a corporate shill comment more than anything else.

I'll reserve complete judgement until I've finished the reread of the run, but so far it's read much better in bulk than it has in bits and pieces. Again, it was unexpected a lot of the directions he took (especially towards the end). It certainly wasn't the best X-Men run, but I'm not convinced it was the worst either. I have more questions with editorial the last few years than the writers themselves. Some of these stories would be interesting but shouldn't have been at the forefront of the franchise.

All-New was highly entertaining but main focus of the franchise should never have been given from the developed characters with history to rebooted blank slate versions of some of the same characters. They could have been back-up players in a flagship like the NXS kids have been, or stars of a 2nd tier book but making them the forefront of the franchise shelved the characters we currently had attachment to, and history with. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed ANXM and the characters within.

Likewise and I know I'm a broken record here but it's the same story for WatXM. It wasn't inherently a bad story (Hellfire brats aside). It just shouldn't have been a flagship book for half the franchise. Rereading Aaron's first 6 issues of Amazing shows what he could do with an adult team, in a fun book, when taken semi-seriously. And it was fun and great. The over the topness of WatXM was unwelcome in a flagship role of this proud historical franchise imho.
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    I'll reserve complete judgement until I've finished the reread of the run, but so far it's read much better in bulk than it has in bits and pieces. Again, it was unexpected a lot of the directions he took (especially towards the end). It certainly wasn't the best X-Men run, but I'm not convinced it was the worst either. I have more questions with editorial the last few years than the writers themselves. Some of these stories would be interesting but shouldn't have been at the forefront of the franchise.

All-New was highly entertaining but main focus of the franchise should never have been given from the developed characters with history to rebooted blank slate versions of some of the same characters. They could have been back-up players in a flagship like the NXS kids have been, or stars of a 2nd tier book but making them the forefront of the franchise shelved the characters we currently had attachment to, and history with. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed ANXM and the characters within.

Likewise and I know I'm a broken record here but it's the same story for WatXM. It wasn't inherently a bad story (Hellfire brats aside). It just shouldn't have been a flagship book for half the franchise. Rereading Aaron's first 6 issues of Amazing shows what he could do with an adult team, in a fun book, when taken semi-seriously. And it was fun and great. The over the topness of WatXM was unwelcome in a flagship role of this proud historical franchise imho.
    Agreed - I feel this is the most balanced view we've had.
    Wolvie and Jubes - one of the greatest partnerships in comic history.

Ennui Engorged

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    She realized sexy space boyfriends are more fun than honoring some dead dude's memory.
    Guess she can phase the cosmic crabs from him right off.

Quote Originally Posted by frostywontons View Post
    Umm, I don't think you understand your own words. Criticism toward Bendis' take on Cyclops and UXM refer to the fact that Bendis did not really do anything. No one is upset that Cyclops failed --- and it is perfectly fine that he fail --- but rather that we're just wholly confused about how we got to a place where Cyclops' revolution apparently fizzled out. Thirty plus issues of Cyclops raging about this or that and for what? What is the threat to mutant-kind? Heck, the primary "threats" so far have been from fellow mutants: Dark Beast, Mystique, Matthew Malloy, etc. Bendis "broke" Cyclops (not really; more like show several panels of Cyclops raging, being a jerk, abusing his students for nebulous reasons) and have yet to inject back substance (although in typical Bendis fashion we'll just have everything neatly resolved in one last issue).
    I am reminded of season 6 of Buffy. At the time, I was upset to see the characters I liked having such a bad time of it, largely because of their own actions. It was only later, when I got some distance from it, that I came to appreciate the season as an exploration of how the Scoobies themselves could be their own worst enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMcDonald View Post
    I am reminded of season 6 of Buffy. At the time, I was upset to see the characters I liked having such a bad time of it, largely because of their own actions. It was only later, when I got some distance from it, that I came to appreciate the season as an exploration of how the Scoobies themselves could be their own worst enemies.
    That's the problem with it. No one tried to stop them from being their worst enemies, instead the characters were written to revel in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I won't say it was the worst X-Men run of all time, but I think it would qualify as the most disappointing, especially given everything that Gillen set up after AvX. There was a lot to be excited about coming off that very frustrating event surprisingly, but it never developed into anything substantial.
    Probably not the worst ever run, but certainly one of the worst, unfortunately.

Every time I read back over Bendis' Daredevil run, it's hard to believe that it's the same author.

I'm not even that fussy over individual characters - I'm not one of those people who'll complain that the book was awful because there wasn't enough Pixie or Dazzler or whatever. I just like an exciting book that reads well, looks good and has some awareness of continuity. Instead we had slow-moving books that petered out at the end of each issue and ignored any continuity. The epitome of "dialing it in".
    Last edited by genki_desu; Yesterday at 09:31 AM.

it's beyond insulting that Emma is on the cover of #34 and not Dazzler. One chance to redeem and they invariably muck it up. Anka deserves better than this tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    But she is honoring Xavier: buggering off to hang with their space friends, right down to hypocrism. If anything, she surpassed it...with hypocrism!
    That made me laugh out loud. Xavier f##king off to space with Lilandra and abandoning his X-Men, saying one thing and doing another. It's true, she is Xavier.

As to the run, at the end of the day I enjoyed the good parts more than I was annoyed by the bad parts. Liked a couple of the new kids, liked the few times we got to focus on one of them solo especially (Morph being the highlight), liked the new 05 personalities, liked the conflict between Kitty and Cyke, liked Magik's new confidence, liked the Cuckoos.

Didn't like Mystique's characterization, didn't like the depressed and subdued Emma, didn't like the seeming lack of a plan for the Revolution beyond grabbing mutant kids and training them (seemed to lose focus on the adult members of the team about halfway in), didn't like Eva's self-exile, absolutely despised everything to do with the future X-Men team (especially the Mystique/Wolverine kid). That said, again, on the whole I had fun reading it. And that's the point at the end of the day. If the next writer gives me this level of entertainment I'll consider it money well-spent.
    Formerly finfangfool