Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Fantastic Four, #6

This June, the fall of the first family continues in the explosive FANTASTIC FOUR #6 - a tie-in to Original Sin! From Eisner-award winning writer James Robinson, fan-favorite artist Leonard Kirk and the peerless Dean Haspiel- they've been a family ever since that fateful day they ventured into the cosmic unknown, the day the Fantastic Four were born.

Bonded together as family, Johnny Storm became the hot-headed Human Torch while Ben Grimm became the hideous monster known only as The Thing. Try as he may, super-scientist Reed Richards was never able to reverse the process and return Ben to his normal form. It is a failure that has haunted him to this very day. But what does Johnny have to do with Ben's irreparable condition? And why has he lied about it all this time?

Now, thanks to the events of Original Sin, Ben Grimm is about to learn that his closest ally has condemned him to a life sentence as a monster. And he won't be happy about it! Bruised, beaten and broken both emotionally and physically, is this the end for the Fantastic Four? The dismantling of the first family continues as Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben crash headlong into Original Sin this June in FANTASTIC FOUR #6!

Full article here.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

From Ben mourning Johnny's death in Fantastic Four #587 to this… what a fall. And Sue lashing out at the Avengers… you don't want to make that woman mad. And we have old-school flashback art!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four fanatic, Avatar-maker, SHSO player, and Marvel Moderator

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

What happened to the order not to promote the Fantastic Four?

Wonder why Sue is cutting loose on the Avengers and her own brother and husband?
    Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What happened to the order not to promote the Fantastic Four?

Wonder why Sue is cutting loose on the Avengers and her own brother and husband?
    Probably because the FF are going to lose the Baxter Building and has had their children/future foundation taken away, all except Val who's hanging out with Dr.Doom, to a SHIELD facility. So yeah Invisible Woman is mighty pissed right at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Probably because the FF are going to lose the Baxter Building and has had their children/future foundation taken away, all except Val who's hanging out with Dr.Doom, to a SHIELD facility. So yeah Invisible Woman is mighty pissed right at this moment.
    Did this happen in the last five issues or was this in the last volume. I could understand if this was recent.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Did this happen in the last five issues or was this in the last volume. I could understand if this was recent.
    Most of it happened last week in issue 5, although Val has been with Doom since around issue one. But yes just in the last five issues alone has all this happened(and more with Johnny having lost his powers).

isn't about time Thing just dealt with it? this seems so silly. sure be upset but move on

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    isn't about time Thing just dealt with it? this seems so silly. sure be upset but move on
    I'm not sure what you mean. it says right in the solicit that he's just finding out something. but, realistically, being disfigured in the same accident that made your friends super celebrities would be hard to "get over." I've seen people lose their **** over a pimple. Ben woke up as a pimple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. it says right in the solicit that he's just finding out something. but, realistically, being disfigured in the same accident that made your friends super celebrities would be hard to "get over." I've seen people lose their **** over a pimple. Ben woke up as a pimple.
    Except he's also ages far more slowly, which means he gets to clobber more stuff for at least 2000 years more than others. That might be seen as a benefit to looking like a monster. Similarly, I have a naturally oily complexion, and pimples is a regular concern of mine. But, I get to look younger as a result and have been been complimented for having a baby-face even in my 20s. You win some, you lose some.

Also, I forgot the details, but didn't Val already explained to Ben that he was supposed to be able to turn off his powers at will when she gave him the serum to turn human for a week each year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Also, I forgot the details, but didn't Val already explained to Ben that he was supposed to be able to turn off his powers at will when she gave him the serum to turn human for a week each year?
    As I recall from Hickman's run - he turns back to "normal" once a year, for a week - but an unknown-ish time. In addition, that week (or when he is human) is the only time he ages - otherwise he doesn't age when he's in Thing form.

BANNED

Except he's also ages far more slowly, which means he gets to clobber more stuff for at least 2000 years more than others. That might be seen as a benefit to looking like a monster. Similarly, I have a naturally oily complexion, and pimples is a regular concern of mine. But, I get to look younger as a result and have been been complimented for having a baby-face even in my 20s. You win some, you lose some.

getting to live longer while looking like a monster is kind of a double-edged sword. no one has refered to Ben as "baby-faced," at least.

No, people just call him The Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Thing these days. Seems to me like everybody loves him for his gentleness and beautiful deep blue eyes. Sure, it was a concern at the beginning of his career, but a lot of people has accepted him since then. Also, I think the issue here is that Reed and Johnny has been lying to him, if that's really what the next story is about. If he was still concern about his looks, he would still be blaming Reed for not taking precautions against the cosmic waves all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Most of it happened last week in issue 5, although Val has been with Doom since around issue one. But yes just in the last five issues alone has all this happened(and more with Johnny having lost his powers).
    Man i can't wait for the trade to come out so i can catch up, it seems as if they aren't having a easy life of it.Thanks for the update

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    I think its OTT for me, i always that through his relationships that he had grown to accept his condition and the good he can do with it.

He become a celeb to after all since then he has servered as an avenger twice, and he is loved regardless of his state.

Another downside is he can't have a proper relationship, he will outlive everyone including his best friends

No that was the outcome they wanted but they got the one week a year thing instead and it can't be reserved or something i forget the details to.

getting to live longer while looking like a monster is kind of a double-edged sword. no one has refered to Ben as "baby-faced," at least.
    This is very true as i have explained, out living your friends not the greatest

No, people just call him The Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Thing these days. Seems to me like everybody loves him for his gentleness and beautiful deep blue eyes. Sure, it was a concern at the beginning of his career, but a lot of people has accepted him since then. Also, I think the issue here is that Reed and Johnny has been lying to him, if that's really what the next story is about. If he was still concern about his looks, he would still be blaming Reed for not taking precautions against the cosmic waves all those years ago.
    I think its both, i think his reaction is OTT from what i have seen but thinking that you could have been saved and found out that it was destroyed would be heartbreaking and then realizing that two friends you trust the most lied to you, it would annoy anyone.
    Truth is the best policy